Recessed allen head brake bolts for Superbe?

Robin Hubert

Guest
I'd like to convert a set of Suntour Superbe brakes to recessed bolts.
Does anyone know where to find or if Campagnolo bolts would
interchange?

Thanks,
Robin Hubert

Robin Hubert wrote:

> I'd like to convert a set of Suntour Superbe brakes to recessed bolts.
> Does anyone know where to find or if Campagnolo bolts would
> interchange?

They will, but it would be cheaper to buy a 6 x 1 die, extend the
threads and cut the "front" bolt short.

The original rear will work fine in front with no modification, so you
only have to fiddle with one of them.

Sheldon "Buying Tools Is Fun!" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Robin Hubert wrote:
>
> > I'd like to convert a set of Suntour Superbe brakes to recessed bolts.
> > Does anyone know where to find or if Campagnolo bolts would
> > interchange?

> They will, but it would be cheaper to buy a 6 x 1 die, extend the
> threads and cut the "front" bolt short.
>
> The original rear will work fine in front with no modification, so you
> only have to fiddle with one of them.

Thanks, Sheldon. I did just that and everything turned out fine. I
didn't even have to buy a die, but borrowed one instead. One
question: do I need to worry about rust on the new threads? I
understand the original finish is plated.

Thanks,
Robin Hubert

Robin Hubert wrote:

>>>I'd like to convert a set of Suntour Superbe brakes to recessed bolts.
>>> Does anyone know where to find or if Campagnolo bolts would
>>>interchange?

I replied:

>>They will, but it would be cheaper to buy a 6 x 1 die, extend the
>>threads and cut the "front" bolt short.
>>
>>The original rear will work fine in front with no modification, so you
>>only have to fiddle with one of them.

Robin:

> Thanks, Sheldon. I did just that and everything turned out fine. I
> didn't even have to buy a die, but borrowed one instead. One
> question: do I need to worry about rust on the new threads? I
> understand the original finish is plated.

Threads should generally be lubricated with grease or medium/heavy oil.
If you did this, you shouldn't have a rust problem, especially if the
bike has mudguards/fenders to protect against spray.

Sheldon "Lubrication" Brown
| If your bike has drop handlebars, but you |
| rarely or never ride on the drops, it’s a |
| sure sign that your bike is not properly |
| fitted or is not properly adjusted! |
| See: http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup |