Rechargeable lights , any recommendations.....

Neil

Guest
Hiya all.

I have only been biking for about three months, and last night I went out on
my first night ride thru a local forest , with about 30 other riders.
I borrowed a set of lights of a local shop owner, and had the most amazing
time. Needless to say I want to do it again.
The thing is though that although I would love a set of the expensive £200+
lights, I really cannot see the point in spending hundreds on lights, when
my Rockhopper disc would cost the same as the lights..

I have been looking at variosu shops in the UK , at Cateye sets, Vista ,
Smart , etc etc...
I am looking to spend say between £40-60ish on a set.

Can anyone please recommend some lights in this range that would be
suitable, and if possible provide links for the lights too...

Many thanks , in advance.
Neil

"Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hiya all.
>
> I have only been biking for about three months, and last night I went out

on
> my first night ride thru a local forest , with about 30 other riders.
> I borrowed a set of lights of a local shop owner, and had the most amazing
> time. Needless to say I want to do it again.
> The thing is though that although I would love a set of the expensive

£200+
> lights, I really cannot see the point in spending hundreds on lights, when
> my Rockhopper disc would cost the same as the lights..
>
> I have been looking at variosu shops in the UK , at Cateye sets, Vista ,
> Smart , etc etc...
> I am looking to spend say between £40-60ish on a set.
>
> Can anyone please recommend some lights in this range that would be
> suitable, and if possible provide links for the lights too...

For me personally I love the cateye single light setup the cheapest one I
think it is anyway I did a post on increasing the runtime a while back so
you can get (for some extra weight) £200 runtime with perfectly adequate
brightness for 1/4 price I am looking into ultyra bright LED's to replace
the stock bulb now I might do a post on that sometime soon I will let you
know how I get on if I suceed in getting a adequate brightness out of the
LED setup I will MASSIVLY increase runtime and probablyt go back to the
original battery.

Neil wrote:
> I would love a set of the expensive £200+
> lights, I really cannot see the point in spending hundreds on lights, when
> my Rockhopper disc would cost the same as the lights..

About the last thing in the world you ever want to cheap out on is the
lights. Especially now when halogens are getting so cheap relative to
HIDS.

Buck up and spend the money, lad. Unless you want to walk home in the
dark.

CC

I would love to spend a large amount of money on an more expensive set , but
when you have 4 young kids , all girls , and a high maintenance wife, its
kinda hard trying to find the funds to afford the more expensive stuff.
Added to the fact I have just started and also need lots of other equipment,
I just need something thats gonna do for the time being, which will allow me
to buy some of the other stuff I am gonna need.

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Neil wrote:
> I would love a set of the expensive £200+
> lights, I really cannot see the point in spending hundreds on lights, when
> my Rockhopper disc would cost the same as the lights..

About the last thing in the world you ever want to cheap out on is the
lights. Especially now when halogens are getting so cheap relative to
HIDS.

Buck up and spend the money, lad. Unless you want to walk home in the
dark.

CC

"Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hiya all.
>
> I have only been biking for about three months, and last night I went out
> on my first night ride thru a local forest , with about 30 other riders.
> I borrowed a set of lights of a local shop owner, and had the most amazing
> time. Needless to say I want to do it again.
> The thing is though that although I would love a set of the expensive
> £200+ lights, I really cannot see the point in spending hundreds on
> lights, when my Rockhopper disc would cost the same as the lights..
>
> I have been looking at variosu shops in the UK , at Cateye sets, Vista ,
> Smart , etc etc...
> I am looking to spend say between £40-60ish on a set.
>
> Can anyone please recommend some lights in this range that would be
> suitable, and if possible provide links for the lights too...
>

> Many thanks , in advance.
> Neil

Standard £20-£30 ultra bright LED lights (perhaps two) then rechargable
batteries. That what I've done. £16 for 16 AA NIMH 2500mah batteries, just
top up every couple of days. So can use LED flashing during the day also.

I have the top brightest LED cateyes (£45 and £30 RRP models think 500 and
1000)

The problem with rechargable halogen is run times and weight. Only 3 hours
in low power mode if you're lucky, and 1 hour in high power mode. You won't
be able to go far on that, unless the trail goes back to your car so
replace/recharge battery whilst you're doing it again with fresh set. You're
paying extra for a high end MTB only to load it down again with a heavy
battery pack. I would be worred about use lithium polymer it it gets damaged
also. So you've got lots of bulk on battery padding/protection.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:09:37 +0000, Neil wrote:

> I would love to spend a large amount of money on an more expensive set , but
> when you have 4 young kids , all girls , and a high maintenance wife, its
> kinda hard trying to find the funds to afford the more expensive stuff.

So ditch the wife & kids, duh. Or become "high maintenance" yourself.
Lots of options. ;)

gabrielle

Don't skimp on lights. I have an expensive Light & Motion HID light and
I commute (on the road) by bicycle with it all winter. I've had it for
four winters now and it has been a very good value. It keeps me safe.
When I do night rides off-road I can see where I'm going and I am safe
at speed. When I return to the road at the end of the trail cars can see
me, I can see them, and the battery is still going strong. The smart
charger keeps me from getting caught with a dead battery at a bad time.

I've had to get home with a dead light. No fun. I've been hit by a car
at night, when running a cheap light. No fun. Try fixing a flat or
descending a mountain with no light! No fun.

You won't be doing your family any favors if you get a cheap light and
get injured on a night ride because of it. Save up, scout for bargains
and maybe also watch for used, good light systems.

Morgan
--
Morgan Fletcher, [email protected] Oakland, CA, USA

"Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't skimp on lights. I have an expensive Light & Motion HID light and
> I commute (on the road) by bicycle with it all winter. I've had it for
> four winters now and it has been a very good value. It keeps me safe.
> When I do night rides off-road I can see where I'm going and I am safe
> at speed. When I return to the road at the end of the trail cars can see
> me, I can see them, and the battery is still going strong. The smart
> charger keeps me from getting caught with a dead battery at a bad time.
>
> I've had to get home with a dead light. No fun. I've been hit by a car
> at night, when running a cheap light. No fun. Try fixing a flat or
> descending a mountain with no light! No fun.
>
> You won't be doing your family any favors if you get a cheap light and
> get injured on a night ride because of it. Save up, scout for bargains
> and maybe also watch for used, good light systems.
>
> Morgan
> --
> Morgan Fletcher, [email protected] Oakland, CA, USA

you dont need expensive lights, most lbs's have some setup for u to look at,
there are plenty of mods u can do to get better battery life, good luck,
there are cheaper units that work good, when it starts to be more of a
regular thing, u might want to step up with more expensive gear. personally
i'd just sticky tape a couple of mini maglites to my bike i dont really care
about appeal.. lights on a bike during the day can get stolen and look ****.

good luck :D

Hi, well done on the night riding (where were you, im the in UK too and
never have anyone to night ride with lol). I'm running a set of
cygolite H30 i think, from a few years back - two 30w halogens from a
lead acid battery (heavy). I tried riding with lesser lights but you
just cant get any pace up unless you know the trail well. Theres an
easy way round it, i have also modified a smaller light set to hold one
of the spare 30w bulbs from the cygo setup, gets a bit hot but you can
keep an eye on it, and got some tagged NiMH batteries and made my own
pack up - same toy, decent price, but obviously you need to have some
knowledge of elecs and it wont look as pretty.

Nath wrote:
> "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Standard £20-£30 ultra bright LED lights (perhaps two) then rechargable

> batteries. That what I've done. £16 for 16 AA NIMH 2500mah batteries, just
> top up every couple of days. So can use LED flashing during the day also.

LEDs just dont cut the mustard on a fast trail in my opinion, just dont
have th range. I have a few LED torches and head torches, one with 10
LEDs powered by D cells and its a fraction of the range of my halogen.

gabrielle wrote:
wife & kids, duh. Or become "high maintenance" yourself.
> Lots of options. ;)
>
> gabrielle

Couldnt agree more ;) My missus knows she has to maintain herself if
shes gonna be high maintenance lol.

"Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Nath wrote:
> "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Standard £20-£30 ultra bright LED lights (perhaps two) then rechargable

> batteries. That what I've done. £16 for 16 AA NIMH 2500mah batteries, just
> top up every couple of days. So can use LED flashing during the day also.

LEDs just dont cut the mustard on a fast trail in my opinion, just dont
have th range. I have a few LED torches and head torches, one with 10
LEDs powered by D cells and its a fraction of the range of my halogen.

-------------
Yeah, but they're good because of the battery life. Useful as another set of
lights (if/when the main halogen battery goes flat) Many times the batteries
in the bulb lights went flat before reaching home, even when they're freshly
charged and in good condition. Until they design batteries that can power
high output halogens for 10+ hours that don't weigh a ton I guess have to
make do with what I have.

Nath wrote:
> "Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Standard £20-£30 ultra bright LED lights (perhaps two) then rechargable

> batteries. That what I've done. £16 for 16 AA NIMH 2500mah batteries, just
> top up every couple of days. So can use LED flashing during the day also.

LEDs just dont cut the mustard on a fast trail in my opinion, just dont
have th range. I have a few LED torches and head torches, one with 10
LEDs powered by D cells and its a fraction of the range of my halogen.

-------------
Yeah, but they're good because of the battery life. Useful as another set of
lights (if/when the main halogen battery goes flat) Many times the batteries
in the bulb lights went flat before reaching home, even when they're freshly
charged and in good condition. Until they design batteries that can power
high output halogens for 10+ hours that don't weigh a ton I guess have to
make do with what I have.

Unfortunately its a big trade off. The LED shape and lack of proper
lenses designed for the trick means they just cant output as much w/m2
as halogen, despite wasting far less energy. Id rather run short
runtimes and see where im going but its horses for courses.
My cygos lasted 3 hours on a mixture of 30w and 60w use for about 8
months, then the battery got tired and now last no more than 2 hours at
best, but thats just SLA batteries that cant deal with deep-cycling.
I've just bought in a batch of 50 LEDs and hooked up a micropro to
pulse them to 100ma, 10% duty cycle, 1ms pulse, so with any luck I'll
be having near the same brightness from that as from the halogens but
I'll have to make up my own lense/reflector setup first to fit into the
cygo main unit.

I am in Kent.
There was about 30 of us in all, men and women , flying thru a local forest
, it was quite something.

"Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, well done on the night riding (where were you, im the in UK too and
> never have anyone to night ride with lol). I'm running a set of
> cygolite H30 i think, from a few years back - two 30w halogens from a
> lead acid battery (heavy). I tried riding with lesser lights but you
> just cant get any pace up unless you know the trail well. Theres an
> easy way round it, i have also modified a smaller light set to hold one
> of the spare 30w bulbs from the cygo setup, gets a bit hot but you can
> keep an eye on it, and got some tagged NiMH batteries and made my own
> pack up - same toy, decent price, but obviously you need to have some
> knowledge of elecs and it wont look as pretty.

Just bought a set of these ....
http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/electron_15w_double_light_system.html
I paid only £33 delivered off ebay. Brand new.
Hopefully they should do me. NIMH battery , 15w lighting.. And apparently
changing the stock bulbs for different ones cheaply upgrades them to
somewhat better brighter system.
They will do for me I feel.
Thanks for all your help tho.
Rgds
Neil

"Neil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am in Kent.
> There was about 30 of us in all, men and women , flying thru a local
> forest , it was quite something.
>

> "Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi, well done on the night riding (where were you, im the in UK too and
>> never have anyone to night ride with lol). I'm running a set of
>> cygolite H30 i think, from a few years back - two 30w halogens from a
>> lead acid battery (heavy). I tried riding with lesser lights but you
>> just cant get any pace up unless you know the trail well. Theres an
>> easy way round it, i have also modified a smaller light set to hold one
>> of the spare 30w bulbs from the cygo setup, gets a bit hot but you can
>> keep an eye on it, and got some tagged NiMH batteries and made my own
>> pack up - same toy, decent price, but obviously you need to have some
>> knowledge of elecs and it wont look as pretty.

They'll do you fine mate, i wouldnt upgrade the bulbs unless you want
significantly reduced run-times. So long as you dont ride like a bat
out of hell you wont need upgrades anyway.
http://www.cygolite.com/light/products/9ExplorerGel.htm < those are
mine but mine uses twin 30's (i did the upgrade and saw the battery
suffer) But the bonus point is it uses the same bulb/reflector setup as
my bathroom lights that i can get for about 7$ a piece lol.