Rechargeable lights - which ones ?

Pete Biggs wrote:

> A dynamo would probably be adequate most practical for you, but
> Lumicycles are the business if you do fancy a high-power rechargeable
> system for extra illumination or just high-speed fun:
> www.lumicycle.co.uk

Agreed. Especially the "fun" bit.

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Can anyone recomend a set of rechargable lights - will be doing a 7
> mile commute each way, along unlit country lanes so am trying to decide
> which to go for. The bike will have to be stored outside, so may have
> to remove lights each time - is a dynamo worth considering ?

Definitely go for a dynamo for on-road use - ideally a hub dynamo. In
this house we have one Lumicycle system (good light, good battery
duration, slightly amateur build quality, poor connections), one
Fireball system (good light, excellent build quality, robust
connections, poor battery unit, need to disassemble the damn thing to
charge it) and one Shimano Nexus hub dynamo (good light, excellent build
quality, infinite duration). The Shimano system - including wheel build
- was less than half the cost of either of the other two, and is
entirely trouble free.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Can anyone recomend a set of rechargable lights - will be doing a 7
> mile commute each way, along unlit country lanes so am trying to decide
> which to go for. The bike will have to be stored outside, so may have
> to remove lights each time - is a dynamo worth considering ?

Definitely go for a dynamo for on-road use - ideally a hub dynamo. In
this house we have one Lumicycle system (good light, good battery
duration, slightly amateur build quality, poor connections), one
Fireball system (good light, excellent build quality, robust
connections, poor battery unit, need to disassemble the damn thing to
charge it) and one Shimano Nexus hub dynamo (good light, excellent build
quality, infinite duration). The Shimano system - including wheel build
- was less than half the cost of either of the other two, and is
entirely trouble free.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

news:eek:[email protected]...

> I used a headtorch. Very handy for getting clueless cagers to notice
> you - moving the thing around seemed to attract their attention very
> reliably!

This is true. I have headtorch attached to my h*lm*t (as does Nathan on his)
for cycling of a night along unlit Norfik country lanes. It is exceedingly
useful at getting oncoming motorists to notice cyclist well in advance of
'normal' and dipping their headlights more too. As the villij in wot I lives
has little in the way of streetlighting, when I'm in ped mode of a night I
use the light in the same fashion - I just carry it in my hand instead. A
quick flash at oncoming motorist (ooh-err Missus!) soon gets him/her to dip
lights & slow down.

Cheers, helen s

[email protected] wrote:

> Can anyone recomend a set of rechargable lights - will be doing a 7
> mile commute each way, along unlit country lanes so am trying to decide
> which to go for. The bike will have to be stored outside, so may have
> to remove lights each time - is a dynamo worth considering ?

I used the SON/E6 for 7 hours on Saturday night and it was perfectly
adequate at any speed. I aim mine so the top of the rectangular light
"patch" just hits the horizon.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recomend a set of rechargable lights - will be doing a 7
>> mile commute each way, along unlit country lanes so am trying to decide
>> which to go for. The bike will have to be stored outside, so may have
>> to remove lights each time - is a dynamo worth considering ?
>>

> I used the SON/E6 for 7 hours on Saturday night and it was perfectly
> adequate at any speed. I aim mine so the top of the rectangular light
> "patch" just hits the horizon.

I have a SON and B&M DIWA lighting set, and whilst I liked it before, I
*REALLY* love the setup after the dun run. I think I might be able to fit a
secondary E6, that should be quite an addition. Bit out of budget right now
though.

LSMike wrote:
> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone recomend a set of rechargable lights - will be doing a 7
> >> mile commute each way, along unlit country lanes so am trying to decide
> >> which to go for. The bike will have to be stored outside, so may have
> >> to remove lights each time - is a dynamo worth considering ?
> >>

> > I used the SON/E6 for 7 hours on Saturday night and it was perfectly
> > adequate at any speed. I aim mine so the top of the rectangular light
> > "patch" just hits the horizon.

> I have a SON and B&M DIWA lighting set, and whilst I liked it before, I
> *REALLY* love the setup after the dun run. I think I might be able to fit a
> secondary E6, that should be quite an addition. Bit out of budget right now
> though.

Ask a stupid question - what does the 'SON' stand for - is it a
particular make of dynamo ? Isnt it a lot of hassle fitting the bottle
dynamo onto the bike, never used one before so had no experience. Bike
will be stored in garage over night but will be outside (in all
weathers) during daytime - wont this damage dynamo system ?

[email protected] wrote:

> Ask a stupid question - what does the 'SON' stand for - is it a
> particular make of dynamo ?

Yes. A top of the range manufacturer. You do get what you pay for
though.

> Isnt it a lot of hassle fitting the bottle
> dynamo onto the bike, never used one before so had no experience.

This is a dynamo built into the hub, so there is no problem with
aligning bottles etc. It does require a custom wheel, but that is not
usually a problem for those who will get good value use out of a 200
GBP lighting setup.

> Bike
> will be stored in garage over night but will be outside (in all
> weathers) during daytime - wont this damage dynamo system ?

They are designed to work well in all weathers.

The SON is the Daddy of hub dynamos. Shimano also do a range at about
half the price which are perfectly adequate for mere mortals.

...d

wafflycat wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>

>> I used a headtorch. Very handy for getting clueless cagers to notice
>> you - moving the thing around seemed to attract their attention very
>> reliably!
>>

> This is true. I have headtorch attached to my h*lm*t (as does Nathan
> on his) for cycling of a night along unlit Norfik country lanes. It
> is exceedingly useful at getting oncoming motorists to notice cyclist
> well in advance of 'normal' and dipping their headlights more too. As
> the villij in wot I lives has little in the way of streetlighting,
> when I'm in ped mode of a night I use the light in the same fashion -
> I just carry it in my hand instead. A quick flash at oncoming
> motorist (ooh-err Missus!) soon gets him/her to dip lights & slow
> down.

Wot Guy & Helen said. The downside of a headtorch is that the white
lettering on the left leg of my shorts shows up /very/ clearly, bobbing up
and down into my field of vision. The black permanent marker may bepressed
into service here...

Where's the gin?

On 07/26/2005 10:04:05 "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:

>> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:eek:[email protected]...

>>> I used a headtorch. Very handy for getting clueless cagers to notice
>>> you - moving the thing around seemed to attract their attention very
>>> reliably!

>> This is true. I have headtorch attached to my h*lm*t (as does Nathan on
>> his) for cycling of a night along unlit Norfik country lanes. It is
>> exceedingly useful at getting oncoming motorists to notice cyclist well
>> in advance of 'normal' and dipping their headlights more too. As the
>> villij in wot I lives has little in the way of streetlighting, when I'm
>> in ped mode of a night I use the light in the same fashion - I just carry
>> it in my hand instead. A quick flash at oncoming motorist (ooh-err
>> Missus!) soon gets him/her to dip lights & slow down.

> Wot Guy & Helen said. The downside of a headtorch is that the white
> lettering on the left leg of my shorts shows up /very/ clearly, bobbing up
> and down into my field of vision. The black permanent marker may
> bepressed into service here...

You fashion victim!

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Buck wrote:

> You fashion victim!

Please Sir, it was that Mark Binney^w^w Guy Chapman's fault. Recommending
Asics running shorts like that, eh? Tch!

The best way to confuse a Daily Mail reader is to tell it that
paedophiles form the staple diet of asylum seekers.

David Martin wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Ask a stupid question - what does the 'SON' stand for - is it a
> > particular make of dynamo ?

> Yes. A top of the range manufacturer. You do get what you pay for
> though.

Schmidt Original Nabendynamo (it makes sense once you know that Naben
is German for hub ...)

> > Isnt it a lot of hassle fitting the bottle
> > dynamo onto the bike, never used one before so had no experience.

Fitting a bottle dynamo can be a little fiddly but is not normally a
problem, but ...

> This is a dynamo built into the hub, so there is no problem with
> aligning bottles etc.

> > Bike
> > will be stored in garage over night but will be outside (in all
> > weathers) during daytime - wont this damage dynamo system ?

> They are designed to work well in all weathers.

And they do work well in all weathers. Further, storage outside hasn't
hurt mine.

> The SON is the Daddy of hub dynamos. Shimano also do a range at about
> half the price which are perfectly adequate for mere mortals.

They do, unfortunately, suffer the disadvantage of not being a SON. I
bought a SON for myself, was convinced by the joys of it but not the
cost, so got a Shimano one for my (now) ex. Her bike was nicked.

Sorting out a replacement as a Xmas surprise, I decided that the
Shimano was better value, that it was perfectly adequate, that the SON
couldn't be justified. A SON still somehow managed to sneak onto my
credit card statement ...

John