Recipe for a healthy shake to replace a meal?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I am a 34 year old male. My work is sedentary, although I exercise
    extrenuously a few times a week. When I'm not able to prepare a lunch
    to take to work, I'm stuck with unhealthy restaurant or sandwich shop
    food. I thought that maybe I could mix some ingredients and make myself
    a shake for those occasions. I weigh 155 lbs and I'm not trying to
    either lose or gain any weight. Basically I'm looking for recipes to
    make a shake that provides complete nutrition, with maybe 55% of
    calories coming from carbohydrates, 30% from fat, and 15% from protein.
    I'd like to find ingredients that have the good kind of carbohydrates,
    not sugar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Igor

    Tags:

  2. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a 34 year old male. My work is sedentary, although I exercise
    > extrenuously a few times a week. When I'm not able to prepare a lunch
    > to take to work, I'm stuck with unhealthy restaurant or sandwich shop
    > food. I thought that maybe I could mix some ingredients and make myself
    > a shake for those occasions. I weigh 155 lbs and I'm not trying to
    > either lose or gain any weight. Basically I'm looking for recipes to
    > make a shake that provides complete nutrition, with maybe 55% of
    > calories coming from carbohydrates, 30% from fat, and 15% from protein.
    > I'd like to find ingredients that have the good kind of carbohydrates,
    > not sugar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Igor

    That's too high in sugar to be healthy, especially for a sedentary
    person. If you're not working it off, you'd be better off with 20%
    carbs, 30% protein and 50% fat, from nut oils or added almonds.

    I make such a shake with unflavored Designer Protein powder, about 5
    frozen strawberries or other frozen fruit, 5 almonds and/or a TBS of
    almond oil, and some milk and or yogurt. Sometimes a bit of sweetener.
    Manipulate the quanitities to your taste. Another good shake uses
    half a frozen banana and a TBS of peanut butter inestead of strawberries.

    Susan

  3. 10 years ago I suffered a fractured jaw. It was too severe for surgery
    so the doc wired my jaw shut. For 8 weeks I lived on whatever I could
    suck through a straw. I did well using a blender to mix yogurt, orange
    juice and protein powder. I didn't measure anything. I just kept a
    quart-size container with me and sipped all day. I lost 30 pounds so
    maybe I should have been mixing some fat into it.

  4. KimmyLT01

    KimmyLT01 Guest

  5. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    KimmyLT01 wrote:
    > Maybe this will help -- sounds really good to me:
    >
    > Blueberry-Walnut Power Booster Smoothie
    >
    > http://www.foodfit.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=2149

    Maybe if he needed a ton of sugar to fuel a workout, but not to sit down
    in a chair and be sedentary.

    Susan

  6. joni

    joni Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I am a 34 year old male. My work is sedentary, although I exercise
    > extrenuously a few times a week. When I'm not able to prepare a lunch
    > to take to work, I'm stuck with unhealthy restaurant or sandwich shop
    > food. I thought that maybe I could mix some ingredients and make myself
    > a shake for those occasions.

    Most people dont have acess to a blender at work (duh to the other
    posters)so why not try some RTD's (ready to drink packaging) or a dry
    packaged one that you can just shake up yourself at work in like a
    little Tupperware type shaker:
    Have a look at this site, just as an example, for the vast amount of
    products available:
    http://www23.netrition.com/lowfat_mrp_page.html

    Even the SlimFast drinks have morphed into a better nutritional profile
    (the old ones were like sugar water!) - check out their low carb lines
    nutritional stats (20 grams protien/4grams carbs/9grams fat) or the
    newer higher protein Optima line which isnt too bad either (but still
    too sugary for me):
    http://www.enutritionshop.com/product_list.asp?SKW=SLILCSHAKE

    joanne