Recipe for a healthy shake to replace a meal?

Hi,

I am a 34 year old male. My work is sedentary, although I exercise
extrenuously a few times a week. When I'm not able to prepare a lunch
to take to work, I'm stuck with unhealthy restaurant or sandwich shop
food. I thought that maybe I could mix some ingredients and make myself
a shake for those occasions. I weigh 155 lbs and I'm not trying to
either lose or gain any weight. Basically I'm looking for recipes to
make a shake that provides complete nutrition, with maybe 55% of
calories coming from carbohydrates, 30% from fat, and 15% from protein.
I'd like to find ingredients that have the good kind of carbohydrates,
not sugar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Igor

x-no-archive: yes

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a 34 year old male. My work is sedentary, although I exercise
> extrenuously a few times a week. When I'm not able to prepare a lunch
> to take to work, I'm stuck with unhealthy restaurant or sandwich shop
> food. I thought that maybe I could mix some ingredients and make myself
> a shake for those occasions. I weigh 155 lbs and I'm not trying to
> either lose or gain any weight. Basically I'm looking for recipes to
> make a shake that provides complete nutrition, with maybe 55% of
> calories coming from carbohydrates, 30% from fat, and 15% from protein.
> I'd like to find ingredients that have the good kind of carbohydrates,
> not sugar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Igor

That's too high in sugar to be healthy, especially for a sedentary
person. If you're not working it off, you'd be better off with 20%
carbs, 30% protein and 50% fat, from nut oils or added almonds.

I make such a shake with unflavored Designer Protein powder, about 5
frozen strawberries or other frozen fruit, 5 almonds and/or a TBS of
almond oil, and some milk and or yogurt. Sometimes a bit of sweetener.
Manipulate the quanitities to your taste. Another good shake uses
half a frozen banana and a TBS of peanut butter inestead of strawberries.

Susan

10 years ago I suffered a fractured jaw. It was too severe for surgery
so the doc wired my jaw shut. For 8 weeks I lived on whatever I could
suck through a straw. I did well using a blender to mix yogurt, orange
juice and protein powder. I didn't measure anything. I just kept a
quart-size container with me and sipped all day. I lost 30 pounds so
maybe I should have been mixing some fat into it.

[email protected] wrote:
> I am a 34 year old male. My work is sedentary, although I exercise
> extrenuously a few times a week. When I'm not able to prepare a lunch
> to take to work, I'm stuck with unhealthy restaurant or sandwich shop
> food. I thought that maybe I could mix some ingredients and make myself
> a shake for those occasions.

Most people dont have acess to a blender at work (duh to the other
posters)so why not try some RTD's (ready to drink packaging) or a dry
packaged one that you can just shake up yourself at work in like a
little Tupperware type shaker:
Have a look at this site, just as an example, for the vast amount of
products available:
http://www23.netrition.com/lowfat_mrp_page.html

Even the SlimFast drinks have morphed into a better nutritional profile
(the old ones were like sugar water!) - check out their low carb lines
nutritional stats (20 grams protien/4grams carbs/9grams fat) or the
newer higher protein Optima line which isnt too bad either (but still
too sugary for me):
http://www.enutritionshop.com/product_list.asp?SKW=SLILCSHAKE

joanne