Recipe: For those leftover hard-cooked Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Mar 25, 2005.

  1. OK, this recipe is 20+ years old -- Campbell's doesn't make frozen soups
    anymore, I think, so fake it -- they might make a canned Cream of Shrimp
    soup.

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Shrimp-Sauced Bacon and Eggs

    Recipe By : Barb Schaller, and posted to r.f.cooking 3/26/05
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Entrees

    Eggs:
    2 slices bacon -- crisply cooked
    8 hard-cooked eggs -- peeled and halved
    lengthwise
    1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. curry powder -- (1/2 to 3/4)
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    Shrimp Sauce:
    2 Tbsp. butter
    2 Tbsp. flour
    1 can cream of shrimp soup -- (10 oz.)
    1 1/4 cup milk (soup can)
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 pkg. small frozen -- (6 oz.) cooked
    shrimp
    Topping:
    1 cup fresh bread crumbs
    1 Tbsp. butter -- melted

    Crumble the cooked bacon (rather small pieces) and set aside. Scoop egg
    yolks from eggs and mash with mayonnaise, paprika, curry powder, and
    mustard. Stir in crumbled bacon. Spoon yolk mixture back into white
    halves.

    Make Shrimp Sauce: Melt butter and flour together; stir. Gradually add
    soup and milk; cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in cheese until
    melted, then stir in frozen shrimp.

    Arrange eggs in a shallow baking dish, about 7x11². Pour sauce over
    eggs. Toss bread crumbs in butter and sprinkle on top of eggs and
    sauce. Bake at 350° just to heat through, about 15 minutes. Makes 6
    servings.

    You can serve it atop a toasted English muffin half or not. A tomato
    slice between the egg and the muffin isn't a bad thing, either.

    DO NOT REHEAT -- it toughens the egg whites.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 110 Calories; 8g Fat (68%
    calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 22mg Cholesterol; 263mg
    Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat

    NOTES : Won 3rd Place and $100 in the 1986 Minnesota Egg Council Cooking
    Contest -- their first such contest.

    _____
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OK, this recipe is 20+ years old -- Campbell's doesn't make frozen soups
    > anymore, I think, so fake it -- they might make a canned Cream of Shrimp
    > soup.

    I've never seen it!!! :-(
    I have an outright passion for shrimp too!

    Guess I could try coming up with my own?

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

  3. Jean B.

    Jean B. Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > OK, this recipe is 20+ years old -- Campbell's doesn't make frozen soups
    > anymore, I think, so fake it -- they might make a canned Cream of Shrimp
    > soup.
    >
    > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
    >
    > Shrimp-Sauced Bacon and Eggs
    >
    > Recipe By : Barb Schaller, and posted to r.f.cooking 3/26/05
    > Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : Entrees

    > Eggs:
    > 2 slices bacon -- crisply cooked
    > 8 hard-cooked eggs -- peeled and halved
    > lengthwise
    > 1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    > 1/2 tsp. paprika
    > 1/2 tsp. curry powder -- (1/2 to 3/4)
    > 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    > Shrimp Sauce:
    > 2 Tbsp. butter
    > 2 Tbsp. flour
    > 1 can cream of shrimp soup -- (10 oz.)
    > 1 1/4 cup milk (soup can)
    > 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    > 1 pkg. small frozen -- (6 oz.) cooked
    > shrimp
    > Topping:
    > 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
    > 1 Tbsp. butter -- melted
    >
    > Crumble the cooked bacon (rather small pieces) and set aside. Scoop egg
    > yolks from eggs and mash with mayonnaise, paprika, curry powder, and
    > mustard. Stir in crumbled bacon. Spoon yolk mixture back into white
    > halves.
    >
    > Make Shrimp Sauce: Melt butter and flour together; stir. Gradually add
    > soup and milk; cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in cheese until
    > melted, then stir in frozen shrimp.
    >
    > Arrange eggs in a shallow baking dish, about 7x11². Pour sauce over
    > eggs. Toss bread crumbs in butter and sprinkle on top of eggs and
    > sauce. Bake at 350° just to heat through, about 15 minutes. Makes 6
    > servings.
    >
    > You can serve it atop a toasted English muffin half or not. A tomato
    > slice between the egg and the muffin isn't a bad thing, either.
    >
    > DO NOT REHEAT -- it toughens the egg whites.
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 110 Calories; 8g Fat (68%
    > calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 22mg Cholesterol; 263mg
    > Sodium
    > Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat
    >
    > NOTES : Won 3rd Place and $100 in the 1986 Minnesota Egg Council Cooking
    > Contest -- their first such contest.

    Gee, with so many people over the years bemoaning the
    disappearance of that soup, you'd think Campbell's might take the
    hint. I was going to say I had never found a comparable soup of
    that ilk, but there was a nice lobster bisque I used to be able to
    buy locally. Of course, that disappeared too.

    --
    Jean B.

  4. On Sat 26 Mar 2005 10:00:07a, Jean B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >> OK, this recipe is 20+ years old -- Campbell's doesn't make frozen soups
    >> anymore, I think, so fake it -- they might make a canned Cream of Shrimp
    >> soup.
    >>
    >> * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
    >>
    >> Shrimp-Sauced Bacon and Eggs
    >>
    >> Recipe By : Barb Schaller, and posted to r.f.cooking 3/26/05
    >> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    >> Categories : Entrees
    >>
    >> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    >> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    >> Eggs:
    >> 2 slices bacon -- crisply cooked
    >> 8 hard-cooked eggs -- peeled and halved lengthwise
    >> 1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    >> 1/2 tsp. paprika
    >> 1/2 tsp. curry powder -- (1/2 to 3/4)
    >> 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    >> Shrimp Sauce:
    >> 2 Tbsp. butter
    >> 2 Tbsp. flour
    >> 1 can cream of shrimp soup -- (10 oz.)
    >> 1 1/4 cup milk (soup can)
    >> 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    >> 1 pkg. small frozen -- (6 oz.) cooked shrimp
    >> Topping:
    >> 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
    >> 1 Tbsp. butter -- melted
    >>
    >> Crumble the cooked bacon (rather small pieces) and set aside. Scoop egg
    >> yolks from eggs and mash with mayonnaise, paprika, curry powder, and
    >> mustard. Stir in crumbled bacon. Spoon yolk mixture back into white
    >> halves.
    >>
    >> Make Shrimp Sauce: Melt butter and flour together; stir. Gradually add
    >> soup and milk; cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in cheese until
    >> melted, then stir in frozen shrimp.
    >>
    >> Arrange eggs in a shallow baking dish, about 7x11². Pour sauce over
    >> eggs. Toss bread crumbs in butter and sprinkle on top of eggs and
    >> sauce. Bake at 350° just to heat through, about 15 minutes. Makes 6
    >> servings.
    >>
    >> You can serve it atop a toasted English muffin half or not. A tomato
    >> slice between the egg and the muffin isn't a bad thing, either.
    >>
    >> DO NOT REHEAT -- it toughens the egg whites.
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 110 Calories; 8g Fat (68%
    >> calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 22mg Cholesterol; 263mg
    >> Sodium
    >> Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat
    >>
    >> NOTES : Won 3rd Place and $100 in the 1986 Minnesota Egg Council Cooking
    >> Contest -- their first such contest.
    >>

    > Gee, with so many people over the years bemoaning the
    > disappearance of that soup, you'd think Campbell's might take the
    > hint. I was going to say I had never found a comparable soup of
    > that ilk, but there was a nice lobster bisque I used to be able to
    > buy locally. Of course, that disappeared too.

    I agree. I used to make a killer shrimp dip using that soup, chopped
    shrimp, and other igredients, The canned version just doesn't cut it, so I
    don't make it anymore.

    This dish shoulds good, though.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  5. Katra <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, this recipe is 20+ years old -- Campbell's doesn't make frozen soups
    >> anymore, I think, so fake it -- they might make a canned Cream of Shrimp
    >> soup.

    >I've never seen it!!! :-(
    >I have an outright passion for shrimp too!
    >
    >Guess I could try coming up with my own?

    I tried it. Once. I found it to be nasty. YMMV.

    Carol

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon