Recipe for "Urban Spareribs"

Ray Gordon

Guest
This is what you do when all you have is a stovetop, but
you like ribs, and no one around you makes good ones
(there might be five places in Philadelphia that sell true
Q'd ribs).

Ingredients:

5 lbs. Chinese Style Spareribs 4 oz. Liquid Smoke 18 oz.
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce (or your favorite) 2 oz. Chicken
Wing Sauce (with cayenne pepper)
1/4 cup sugar (or to taste) 18 oz. water spices to taste

To cook:

2. Parboil the ribs for 20-30 minutes (30 if frozen 20 if
not frozen).

3. Combine BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, spices, water, sugar,
and chicken wing sauce into a frying pan/skillet (takes
a big frying pan for this). Bring to boil. Time this so
the marinade is boiling as the ribs are finishing their
parboiling.

4. Add ribs to the marinade.

5. On high heat, cover the ribs with the marinade (shifting
them occasionally to prevent sticking and to ensure even
coverage).

6. Boil down the marinade until it is the same consistency
as BBQ sauce.

Takes 60 minutes, serves 5-6, and tastes GREAT.

Now maybe BBQ ribs are a *little* tastier than this, but if
all you have is an hour or 90 minutes (including heating the
parboiling water), and a stovetop, you're not going to do
much better (though I'm sure some people will get creative
with the marinade, using wine or something else).

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html Why Hotties
Choose Losers

>"Ray Gordon"
>
>Ingredients:
>
>5 lbs. Chinese Style Spareribs

AFAIK Chinese Style Sparibs are already cooked, to
perfection.

>To cook:
>
>1. Parboil the ribs for 20-30 minutes (30 if frozen 20 if
> not frozen).

I got yer Chinese... phuking plick!

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> 1. Parboil the ribs for 20-30 minutes (30 if frozen 20 if
> not frozen).

Try this: after you parboil your ribs, taste the
water. Good, isn't it? Where do you think all that
flavor came from?

Parboiling your ribs does nothing but remove flavor from the
ribs. Great if you're making soup; not so great if you're
making ribs.

(at least he didn't call them 'barbecued')
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

In article <[email protected]>, "Ray Gordon"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This is what you do when all you have is a stovetop, but
> you like ribs, and no one around you makes good ones
> (there might be five places in Philadelphia that sell true
> Q'd ribs).
<crip snap>
> 5. Boil down the marinade until it is the same
> consistency as BBQ sauce.
>
> Takes 60 minutes, serves 5-6, and tastes GREAT.

You forgot Step 6: Throw hideous mess to dogs. Your idea of
GREAT is waaaaay underneath mine.

> Now maybe BBQ ribs are a *little* tastier than this, but
> if all you have is an hour or 90 minutes (including
> heating the parboiling water), and a stovetop, you're
> not going to do much better (though I'm sure some people
> will get creative with the marinade, using wine or
> something else).

Why bother with ribs <at all> if you don't have the time,
patience or equipment to do them right? Sounds mighty stupid
to me. Ribs aren't so cheap as to waste money doing them
halfassed as you suggest here. Thus spake this 'pious
asshole purist BBQ freak'. Thanks for nothing at all, Ray.

monroe(that's right---stupid)

some self-righteous buttbrain wrote:

>You forgot Step 6: Throw hideous mess to dogs. Your idea of
>GREAT is waaaaay underneath mine.

Tried to post this under a new msg due to newsreader
failure.

From Wed's NYT's food section, Cesare [somebody]'s
recipe for oven ribs (pork, I'd adjust the herbs
downwards for beef):

7 lbs pork spareribs 3 tbs minced garlic plus two cloves
sliced 3 tbsp chopped sage 2 tbsp chopper rosemary
1.5 tbsp coarse salt 1 tbsp black pepper 1 tbsp plus two tsp
crushed red pepper 3 tbs evoo 2 28oz cans peeled tomatoes
with juice
2.5 tbsp worchestershire sauce
3.5 tbsp tabasco 1 cup white wine

Combine garlic sage rosemary salt, black pepper and 1 tbsp
crussshed red pepper. Rub ribs with mixture and marinate at
least 24 hours

Heat oven to 375, roast ribs uncovered for 1 hour or until
brown. Turn ribs over and roast another hour

Pour evoo into large saucepan and add sliced garlic and
remaining red pepper. Sautee over medium heat. When garlic
begins to color add tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, tbsp and
1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil then simmer. whisk and stir
mixture. Simmer about 30 minutes

defat roasting pan. Pour wine, 1 cup water and tomato sauce
over ribs. Cover pan with foil and roast 40 minutes. Defat
sauce and roast uncovered for 20 minutes. Rest and serve.

Nope, tastes like ****.

> Where do you think all that flavor came from?

Two coins slipping out of the bottom of a piggy bank
doesn't break it.

> Parboiling your ribs does nothing but remove flavor from
> the ribs. Great if you're making soup; not so great if
> you're making ribs.

Another myth. It's also possible to use more water in the
marinade and fry-boil the ribs that way if you want to
eliminate this problem.

> (at least he didn't call them 'barbecued')

I call them "urban spareribs," because they are a very good,
practical recipe for the city dweller.

If all you have is a stovetop and 90 minutes to work with,
could you do better?

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html Why Hotties
Choose Losers

> defat roasting pan

Oh? Does the fat taste GOOD? You know where that flavor came
from? Etc.

I actually used to take the fat from the roasting pan and
boil it down into the marinade, then re-marinate the ribs in
the oven, so the flavor isn't lost.

If I ever want to make ribs 26 hours in advance, that's a
good recipe you gave me. Only 2.5 hours of cooking as well!

I also said a STOVETOP, not an oven. My ribs are made with a
large pot and a frying pan, nothing more.

--

Ray Gordon wrote:
>>defat roasting pan
>

> Oh? Does the fat taste GOOD? You know where that flavor
> came from? Etc.
>
> I actually used to take the fat from the roasting pan and
> boil it down into the marinade, then re-marinate the ribs
> in the oven, so the flavor isn't lost.
>
> If I ever want to make ribs 26 hours in advance,
> that's a good recipe you gave me. Only 2.5 hours of
> cooking as well!
>
> I also said a STOVETOP, not an oven. My ribs are made with
> a large pot and a frying pan, nothing more.

So, why did you change your name from "Modern Caveman"?

Instead of buying spareribs, buy pork "country style ribs",
which are not ribs at all but are thick poorly shaped pork
chops. Bake them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 2
hours, and serve with your favorite sauce (barbecue sauce or
otherwise.) Country style "ribs" are cheaper than real ribs,
meatier, easier to cook, and they taste better than the
proper pork chops which I think are cut from the other end
of the loin.

Best regards, Bob

"Ray Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> > 1. Parboil the ribs for 20-30 minutes (30 if frozen 20
>> > if not frozen).
>> >

>> Try this: after you parboil your ribs, taste the water.
>> Good, isn't it?
>
> Nope, tastes like ****.
>
>> Where do you think all that flavor came from?
>
> Two coins slipping out of the bottom of a piggy bank
> doesn't break it.
>

>> Parboiling your ribs does nothing but remove flavor from
>> the ribs. Great if you're making soup; not so great if
>> you're making ribs.
>
> Another myth. It's also possible to use more water in the
> marinade and fry-boil the ribs that way if you want to
> eliminate this problem.
>

>> (at least he didn't call them 'barbecued')
>
> I call them "urban spareribs," because they are a very
> good, practical recipe for the city dweller.
>
> If all you have is a stovetop and 90 minutes to work with,
> could you do better?

Yep, spareribs and sauerkraut! Any attempt at making
"barbequed" spareribs by steaming, simmering, etc., is a
sacrilege. I'd rather do without than eat that ****.

Wayne

> If all you have is a stovetop and 90 minutes to work with,
> could you do better?

Go for it, dude, but you might want to check the name of
this newsgroup. It's alt.barbecue.food, which has nothing
whatever to do with parboiling ribs. I was going to suggest
that you post your recipe on rec.food.cooking, but I see
you've already met the resident greeter there, PENMART01.
You're about as welcome here as Sheldon made you feel there.

Jack Curry

Ray Gordon wrote:
> I also said a STOVETOP, not an oven. My ribs are made with
> a large pot and a frying pan, nothing more.

My ribs are made on the grill. In the unlikely event that my
charcoal grill stops working, I would bake or broil ribs
before boiling them. The vast majority of stoves (including
mine) also have ovens and broilers, which are much better
than stovetops for cooking big hunks of meat (ribs, roasts,
loins, etc).

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> If all you have is a stovetop and 90 minutes to work with,
> could you do better?

Sure I could. I just wouldn't be making ribs.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
> "Ray Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:

>>> Try this: after you parboil your ribs, taste the water.
>>> Good, isn't it?
>>
>> Nope, tastes like ****.
>>
>>> Where do you think all that flavor came from?
>>
>> Two coins slipping out of the bottom of a piggy bank
>> doesn't break
>> it.
>>

>>> Parboiling your ribs does nothing but remove flavor from
>>> the ribs. Great if you're making soup; not so great if
>>> you're making ribs.
>>
>> Another myth. It's also possible to use more water in the
>> marinade and fry-boil the ribs that way if you want to
>> eliminate this problem.
>>

>>> (at least he didn't call them 'barbecued')
>>
>> I call them "urban spareribs," because they are a very
>> good, practical recipe for the city dweller.
>>
>> If all you have is a stovetop and 90 minutes to work
>> with, could you do better?
>
> Yep, spareribs and sauerkraut! Any attempt at making
> "barbequed" spareribs by steaming, simmering, etc., is a
> sacrilege. I'd rather do without than eat that ****.
>
> Wayne

Yum! That's dish from my Pennsylvania Dutch childhood that
I haven't had in ages. The smell of that casserole with
the ribs (sometimes pork chops) and knockwurst bubbling in
the sauerkraut is pure ambrosia. It ain't Q but it *is*
way yummy.

JD

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Yep, spareribs and sauerkraut! Any attempt at making
>> "barbequed" spareribs by steaming, simmering, etc., is a
>> sacrilege. I'd rather do without than eat that ****.
>>
>> Wayne
>
>Yum! That's dish from my Pennsylvania Dutch childhood that
>I haven't had in ages. The smell of that casserole with
>the ribs (sometimes pork chops) and knockwurst bubbling in
>the sauerkraut is pure ambrosia. It ain't Q but it *is*
>way yummy.
>
>JD

I was fed the same thing way back when I was a kid, it was
served in a layer - mashed potatoes on the bottom, kraut in
the middle and a scoop of cottage cheese on the top. The
chops or ribs would be on the side.Ummm ummm.

--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:59:20 GMT, "JD" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Yum! That's dish from my Pennsylvania Dutch childhood that
>I haven't had in ages. The smell of that casserole with
>the ribs (sometimes pork chops) and knockwurst bubbling in
>the sauerkraut is pure ambrosia. It ain't Q but it *is*
>way yummy.

Thats what I'm doing tomorrow. A bone-in pork loin (country
rib-style) and two links of thick kielbasa in a quart of
sauerkraut (in a dutch oven in a low oven for 2-3 hours)
with crispy German potato pancakes on the side (sour cream -
no applesauce for me)

-sw (From Altoona, Harrisburgh, and Pittsburgh)

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:04:59 -0800, Justice Gustine wrote:

> - ... mashed potatoes on the bottom, kraut in the middle
> and a scoop of cottage cheese on the top ...

And people complain about British food ...
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could
understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.

According to John Gaughan <[email protected]>:
:I would bake or broil ribs [...] . The
:vast majority of stoves (including mine) also have ovens and broilers,
:which are much better than stovetops for cooking big hunks of meat
:(ribs, roasts, loins, etc).

Would you be willing to go through the steps you would use
to bake or broil racks of ribs? A charcoal grill isn't
typically something to which I have access.

I've seen many shows where people are using some sort of rub
on the ribs. I get the idea that each rub is different - and
appears to consist of some combination of salt, chili
powder, etc.

Any suggestions?

--

"Ray Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> If all you have is a stovetop and 90 minutes to work with,
> could you do better?

I'd cook something I had the equipment and time for, rather
than ruining perfectly good ribs with this hideous process
(I hesitate to call it a recipe) of yours.

> :I would bake or broil ribs [...] . The
> :vast majority of stoves (including mine) also have ovens and broilers,
> :which are much better than stovetops for cooking big hunks of meat
> :(ribs, roasts, loins, etc).
>

> Would you be willing to go through the steps you would use
> to bake or broil racks of ribs? A charcoal grill isn't
> typically something to which I have access.
>
> I've seen many shows where people are using some sort of
> rub on the ribs. I get the idea that each rub is different
> - and appears to consist of some combination of salt,
> chili powder, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?

i usually take the rack of ribs, season them with what ever
you want, wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil and bake
them in the oven @250f for about 3 hours.(be sure to leave
some space in the foil for the liquid that will accumulate)
take them out of the foil and slather them with you favorite
bbq sauce. raise the temperature of the oven to 375f and
cook until the bbq sauce glazes the ribs. mmmmm tender juicy
and tasty ribs.

ac

"A.C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > :I would bake or broil ribs [...] . The :vast majority
> > of stoves (including mine) also have ovens and broilers,
> > :which are much better than stovetops for cooking big
> > hunks of meat
> > :(ribs, roasts, loins, etc).
> >

> > Would you be willing to go through the steps you would
> > use to bake or broil racks of ribs? A charcoal grill
> > isn't typically something to which I have access.
> >
> > I've seen many shows where people are using some sort of
> > rub on the ribs. I get the idea that each rub is
> > different - and appears to
consist
> > of some combination of salt, chili powder, etc.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> i usually take the rack of ribs, season them with what
> ever you want, wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil and
> bake them in the oven @250f for about
3
> hours.(be sure to leave some space in the foil for the
> liquid that will accumulate) take them out of the foil and
> slather them with you favorite
bbq
> sauce. raise the temperature of the oven to 375f and cook
> until the bbq sauce glazes the ribs. mmmmm tender juicy
> and tasty ribs.
>
> ac

You have, in a nutshell, described the typical New England
BBQ Joint.

Jack Ersatz