Recipe Needed: Wheaties "Mock" Steak

Calypso985

Guest
When I was a kid, my mom used to make a main dish where she combined ground beef, wheaties, milk,
egg(s), diced onions, and Worcestershire sauce, mixing it all together like a meatloaf. (I'm pretty
sure she got the recipe right off a Wheaties box, and there may have been other ingredients.)
Instead of making a "loaf", however, she would press it all down into a cast iron skillet and cook
it under the broiler in the oven. We LOVED it. I would like to resurrect this nostalgic entree for
my husband, but cannot locate a recipe!

WILL SOMEONE - ANYONE - SHARE THIS PRICELESS OLD TREASURE??

Thanks a million!!

news:[email protected]...

www.ratemypoo.com is your friend.

"Calypso985" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I was a kid, my mom used to make a main dish where she combined
ground
> beef, wheaties, milk, egg(s), diced onions, and Worcestershire sauce,
mixing it
> all together like a meatloaf. (I'm pretty sure she got the recipe right
off a
> Wheaties box, and there may have been other ingredients.) Instead of
making a
> "loaf", however, she would press it all down into a cast iron skillet and
cook
> it under the broiler in the oven. We LOVED it. I would like to resurrect
this
> nostalgic entree for my husband, but cannot locate a recipe!
>
> WILL SOMEONE - ANYONE - SHARE THIS PRICELESS OLD TREASURE??
>
> Thanks a million!!
Hi,,,,Calypso, I think this is it: Do you ever run out of steak? You rummage around foolishly
through your fridge to no avail. There is no steak to be found! Do you happen to have ground beef,
milk and Wheaties? For some inexplicable reason do you not want to eat hamburgers or have a bowl
of Wheaties?

If you answered "Yes" to one or more of these questions, then I have the recipe for you: Emergency
Steak. Serves 2
a.. 1 lb. ground beef
b.. 1 T minced onion
c.. 1/2 C milk
d.. 1 t salt
e.. 1/4 t black pepper
f.. 1 C Wheaties

An actual T-Bone steak for reference purposes.

Method of Preparation:

In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients in listed order. Display no unusual emotion until
Wheaties are added. Cringe as you feel the crunching of the Wheaties under your fingers as you try
to maneuver through the milky, meaty mess that has accumulated.

Form the meat into the shape of a T-bone steak. As I'm sure you are aware, the T-bone steak comes
from the loin of the animal. It is a steak cut from two muscles, the Sirloin or Strip and the
Tenderloin. The bone is actually called the Finger or Short Loin Bone. What we will be crafting will
be boneless. If you have trouble getting the shape just right, keep at it and it will come. This is
an emergency situation and the shape must be approximated as closely as possible.

When you are done molding the correct shape, place the steaks on a lightly greased pan and into an
oven at 350 degrees about 3-4 inches from the top broiler. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until desired
doneness is achieved.

Serving Suggestion:

Here the Live Action ChefT serves Emergency Steak with new potato rosti and steamed brussel sprouts

In rec.food.cooking, Calypso985 <[email protected]> wrote:

> WILL SOMEONE - ANYONE - SHARE THIS PRICELESS OLD TREASURE??

Didn't you just give the recipe up above? What more do you need?

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Don't you think the PROPORTIONS might be important? Also, I stated that there might have been other
ingredients besides the ones I remember . . .

"Calypso985" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I was a kid, my mom used to make a main dish where she combined
ground
> beef, wheaties, milk, egg(s), diced onions, and Worcestershire sauce,
mixing it
> all together like a meatloaf. (I'm pretty sure she got the recipe right
off a
> Wheaties box, and there may have been other ingredients.) Instead of
making a
> "loaf", however, she would press it all down into a cast iron skillet and
cook
> it under the broiler in the oven. We LOVED it. I would like to resurrect
this
> nostalgic entree for my husband, but cannot locate a recipe!
>
> WILL SOMEONE - ANYONE - SHARE THIS PRICELESS OLD TREASURE??
>
> Thanks a million!!

Here you go....

There are several versions and names.

Dimitri

Emergency Steak

1 lb. ground beef 1 tbsp. minced onion
1/2 c. milk 1 tsp. salt
2/4 tsp. pepper 1 c. Wheaties or 1 c. dry bread crumbs

Mix together. Place on lightly greased pan. Pat into shape of T bone steak, 1 inch thick. Broil,
serve immediately. Serves 6. Carrot (small strips) may be inserted to resemble the bone.

THRIFTY STEAK 1 lb. ground chuck 1 tbsp. minced onion
3/2 c. milk 1 tsp. salt
4/4 tsp. pepper 1 c. Wheaties

Mix all ingredients well. Pat mixture into shape of hamburger patties. Make a hole in center of
patties to help cook evenly. Lightly grease shallow pan. Broil patties 3" to 4" from heat for 5
minutes on each side. Makes 4 to 5 servings.

In rec.food.cooking, Calypso985 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Don't you think the PROPORTIONS might be important? Also, I stated that there might have been
> other ingredients besides the ones I remember . . .

If you know what you are after, and you know the main ingredients, AND YOU CAN COOK, you should need
nothing more. From your posts I see two out of three are present...

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Dimitri wrote:

> "Calypso985" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040303230002.20488.00000802@mb-
> m28.aol.com...
> > When I was a kid, my mom used to make a main dish where she combined
> ground
> > beef, wheaties, milk, egg(s), diced onions, and Worcestershire sauce,
> mixing it
> > all together like a meatloaf. (I'm pretty sure she got the recipe right
> off a
> > Wheaties box, and there may have been other ingredients.) Instead of
> making a
> > "loaf", however, she would press it all down into a cast iron skillet and
> cook
> > it under the broiler in the oven. We LOVED it. I would like to resurrect
> this
> > nostalgic entree for my husband, but cannot locate a recipe!
> >
> > WILL SOMEONE - ANYONE - SHARE THIS PRICELESS OLD TREASURE??
> >
> > Thanks a million!!
>
> Here you go....
>
> There are several versions and names.
>
> Dimitri
>

> Emergency Steak
>
> 1 lb. ground beef 1 tbsp. minced onion
> 1/2 c. milk 1 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. pepper 1 c. Wheaties or 1 c. dry bread crumbs
>
> Mix together. Place on lightly greased pan. Pat into shape of T bone steak, 1 inch thick. Broil,
> serve immediately. Serves 6. Carrot (small strips) may be inserted to resemble the bone.
>
> THRIFTY STEAK 1 lb. ground chuck 1 tbsp. minced onion
> 1/2 c. milk 1 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. pepper 1 c. Wheaties
>
> Mix all ingredients well. Pat mixture into shape of hamburger patties. Make a hole in center of
> patties to help cook evenly. Lightly grease shallow pan. Broil patties 3" to 4" from heat for 5
> minutes on each side. Makes 4 to 5 servings.

Substitute ground liver for the beef and you'd have one of those ghastly WWII rationing recipes....

--
Best Greg

"Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote:

<snip>

> > Mix all ingredients well. Pat mixture into shape of hamburger
patties.
> > Make a hole in center of patties to help cook evenly. Lightly grease shallow pan. Broil patties
> > 3" to 4" from heat for 5 minutes on each
side.
> > Makes 4 to 5 servings.
>

> Substitute ground liver for the beef and you'd have one of those ghastly WWII rationing
> recipes....
>
> --
> Best Greg

I'll see if I can find it for you.....

;-)

Dimitri

Dimitri wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Dimitri wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Mix all ingredients well. Pat mixture into shape of hamburger
> patties.
> > > Make a hole in center of patties to help cook evenly. Lightly grease shallow pan. Broil
> > > patties 3" to 4" from heat for 5 minutes on each
> side.
> > > Makes 4 to 5 servings.
> >

> > Substitute ground liver for the beef and you'd have one of those ghastly WWII rationing
> > recipes....
> >
> > --
> > Best Greg
>
> I'll see if I can find it for you.....
>
> ;-)

Somewhere I've got a bunch of those WWII recipe books. I recall the most ghastly one being "Liver In
Aspic".....

--
Best Greg

> If you know what you are after, and you know the main ingredients, AND YOU CAN COOK, you should
> need nothing more. From your posts I see two out of three are present...

Gosh, now that we have you, we don't need our newsgroup, either!

Karen

"Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > patties.
> > side.
> > >

> > > Substitute ground liver for the beef and you'd have one of those ghastly WWII rationing
> > > recipes....
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best Greg
> >
> > I'll see if I can find it for you.....
> >
> > ;-)
>

> Somewhere I've got a bunch of those WWII recipe books. I recall the most ghastly one being "Liver
> In Aspic".....

Vitality meat loaf 1 Pound ground beef
1/2 Pound ground pork
2/2 Pound Ground pork liver
3/2 cup Wheat Germ 1 cup oatmeal 1 Large onion chopped fine 1 Egg 1 Cup Evaporated milk 2
teaspoons salt
4/4 cup minced parsley
5/2 Teaspoon Pepper 1 Teaspoon sage
6/2 Teaspoon celery salt
7/4 cup Chili sauce

mix it all in bowl, pack into a loaf pan turn out onto a shallow baking dish and bake 1 1/2 hours @
350 degrees.

Liver gems

1 pound beef or pork liver 2 strips bacon 1 Onion 1 slice bread salt and pepper

Put through a food chopper the bacon, liver, onion and bread. Season and place into oiled muffin
tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. * Note bacon and onion may be increased if desired.

From Coupon cookery by Prudence Penny 1943

Dimitri

"Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > patties.
> > side.
> > >

> > > Substitute ground liver for the beef and you'd have one of those ghastly WWII rationing
> > > recipes....
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best Greg
> >
> > I'll see if I can find it for you.....
> >
> > ;-)
>

> Somewhere I've got a bunch of those WWII recipe books. I recall the most ghastly one being "Liver
> In Aspic".....

Vitality meat loaf 1 Pound ground beef
1/2 Pound ground pork
2/2 Pound Ground pork liver
3/2 cup Wheat Germ 1 cup oatmeal 1 Large onion chopped fine 1 Egg 1 Cup Evaporated milk 2
teaspoons salt
4/4 cup minced parsley
5/2 Teaspoon Pepper 1 Teaspoon sage
6/2 Teaspoon celery salt
7/4 cup Chili sauce

mix it all in bowl, pack into a loaf pan turn out onto a shallow baking dish and bake 1 1/2 hours @
350 degrees.

Liver gems

1 pound beef or pork liver 2 strips bacon 1 Onion 1 slice bread salt and pepper

Put through a food chopper the bacon, liver, onion and bread. Season and place into oiled muffin
tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. * Note bacon and onion may be increased if desired.

From Coupon cookery by Prudence Penny 1943

Dimitri