Recipe: Ranch Style Beans

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Ranch Style Beans

    1 # hamburger
    1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
    16 oz. can drained and rinsed kidney beans
    28 oz. can baked beans
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tsp prepared mustard
    1/2 cup water

    Brown and break into pieces the hamburger and onion soup mix. Add the
    beans to that, and add the sauce stuff to that. Bake in a 2-quart
    casserole dish for 40 minutes at5 375°.

    This recipe is from 1966 -- back then it was called hamburger, not
    ground beef. And the original recipe called for a large jar of baked
    beans - B&M brand, I presume; that used to come in a jar, IIRC.

    I did this in a 3-quart sauté pan on the stovetop at a simmer, stirring
    a couple three times, for about 30-40 minutes instead of baking it in
    the oven.

    It won't win any prizes for fine dining, but it was tasty and
    accompanied by a big green salad with a balsamic vinegar and avocado oil
    drizzling.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

    Tags:

  2. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ranch Style Beans

    I won't embarrass myself by telling you that I printed this recipe. I did
    enjoy your nifty deflection by mentioning the use of balsamic vinegar and
    avocado oil. Nice touch! I'm thinking about ground pork and some serrano
    chile. Or, I may close the curtains, shutters, lock the door and make it as
    written. Served, of course with a special green salad! <grin>

    Charlie

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Ranch Style Beans
    > >

    > I won't embarrass myself by telling you that I printed this recipe. I did
    > enjoy your nifty deflection by mentioning the use of balsamic vinegar and
    > avocado oil. Nice touch! I'm thinking about ground pork and some serrano
    > chile. Or, I may close the curtains, shutters, lock the door and make it as
    > written. Served, of course with a special green salad! <grin>
    >
    > Charlie

    Hi, Sweetie!! Happy birthday to you!! Are you behaving yourself on
    this celebratory evening? No? Can I come by? "-)
    Happy birthday, Charlie! I remember our meeting at Zelt's nearly 7
    years ago with great fondness. You're a remarkable individual.
    MmmwwaaahhhhhhhhBigSmooch!'
    -Barb
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Hi, Sweetie!! Happy birthday to you!! Are you behaving yourself on
    > this celebratory evening? No? Can I come by? "-)
    > Happy birthday, Charlie! I remember our meeting at Zelt's nearly 7
    > years ago with great fondness. You're a remarkable individual.
    > MmmwwaaahhhhhhhhBigSmooch!'
    > -Barb

    Charlie, it's your B'day?! Happy, happy, many more. -aem

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, Sweetie!! Happy birthday to you!! Are you behaving yourself on
    > > this celebratory evening? No? Can I come by? "-)
    > > Happy birthday, Charlie! I remember our meeting at Zelt's nearly 7
    > > years ago with great fondness. You're a remarkable individual.
    > > MmmwwaaahhhhhhhhBigSmooch!'
    > > -Barb

    > Charlie, it's your B'day?! Happy, happy, many more. -aem

    No, it's not! I didn't correct my info when I was corrected about the
    date last year! Whoopsie daisy! His is in June. Too. :)
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

  6. "aem" <[email protected]> wrote >
    > Charlie, it's your B'day?! Happy, happy, many more. -aem

    Thank you, but as is now known, it ain't my birthday. I am happy to receive
    all the happys I can get though! Barb's good wishes came on a day when I
    particularly needed them. Your addition is also a blessing! Thanks!

    CG

  7. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Hi, Sweetie!! Happy birthday to you!! Are you behaving yourself on
    > this celebratory evening? No? Can I come by? "-)
    > Happy birthday, Charlie!

    Hee, hee! Thanks again. You can come by anytime, just leave that bothersome
    spouse behind. <wink-wink>

    > I remember our meeting at Zelt's nearly 7
    > years ago with great fondness. You're a remarkable individual.
    > MmmwwaaahhhhhhhhBigSmooch!'
    > -Barb

    Thank you sweets! How could I ever forget it! As I have mentioned before,
    you are one of the few people I have met in person who looked exactly as I
    always pictured them. I can't believe it has been 7 years! We had a
    wonderful time. I was with Jamie, Debra and Mimi at a hotel (the "ladies" in
    one rooom and I in the one just below the party animals). Mimi driving!
    Golly! We did have some fun!!! Wonderful food too. You were a ball of fire,
    though sadly an anti-beet shirter!

    Love, hugs and chaste kisses,
    Charlie