Recipe Request: Rogan Josh

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by DWACON, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. DWACON

    DWACON Guest

    I had an Indian Dish in Pennsylvania called Rogan Josh. Would like to make
    it at home -- It was like lamb with a creamy curry sauce.

    TIA!

    --
    dwacon(com)

    Tags:

  2. On Fri 17 Feb 2006 02:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it DWACON?

    > I had an Indian Dish in Pennsylvania called Rogan Josh. Would like to
    > make it at home -- It was like lamb with a creamy curry sauce.
    >
    > TIA!

    Rogan Josh,
    Kashmiri style

    (medium hot, serves 4-6)

    1 tblsp whole coriander
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp poppy seeds
    4 cloves
    4 peppercorns
    1 inch cinnamon
    2 black cardamoms, seeds only

    Heat a flat frying pan on medium heat and roast the above spices until
    golden brown. Leave to cool and then grind in a coffee grinder or pestle
    and mortar to a powder.

    1 tblsp dessicated coconut
    1 tblsp ground almonds
    ¼ tsp ground mace
    ¼ tsp ground nutmeg

    Heat a frying pan on medium heat and roast these ingredients until brown.

    5 tblsp ghee or oil
    1 tsp onion seeds
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    4 large garlic cloves, crushed
    1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
    3 bay leaves
    500g boned lamb, cut into 4cm pieces, fat trimmed and wahsed
    ½ tsp ground red chilli or rogan mirch
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    1 cup tinned tomatoes
    ¼ pint natural yoghurt
    1 green pepper, cut into pieces
    2 tblsp lemon juice
    1 tblsp sugar

    To garnish:

    ½ tsp garam masala
    1 tblsp fresh coriander, chopped
    1 small green chilli, chopped

    Cooking time 40 mins. Heat ghee or oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan
    on medium heat. Fry onion seeds for 30 seconds. Put in the onion, garlic,
    ginger and bay leaves and fry until golden brown. Mix in the meat pieces
    and fry for five minutes.

    Stir in the red chilli or rogan mirch, turmeric, salt and the roasted
    ingredients, then the tomatoes and cook until all the liquid has been
    absorbed and the ghee/oil appears on the surface of the mixture. Add the
    yoghurt and cook again until all the liquid has been reduced.

    Add the water and green pepper and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for
    ten minutes. Add lemon juice and sugar and cook for one minute. Sprinkle
    over garnish before serving.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. "DWACON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I had an Indian Dish in Pennsylvania called Rogan Josh. Would like to

    make
    > it at home -- It was like lamb with a creamy curry sauce.

    It is my best dish when I want to be sure to make a hit. I've made this for
    several years now and it is always perfect.

    This is a Penzey's recipe that I have changed slightly. It is very good - in
    fact, I think that it is my best meat dish. Being a Penzey's recipe, it uses
    Penzey's Rogan Josh spice mixture.

    ROGAN JOSH

    2 lbs. lamb (I use leg)
    4 tbs. ghee
    1 large onion, minced (I mince the onion very finely)
    4 tbs. Penzey's rogan josh mixture
    1 tsp. salt
    pinch of cayenne (large pinch if you like it hotter)
    1/2 (slightly rounded) tsp. cardamom
    2 threads of saffron
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup of yogurt (I use 3 extra tbs. and use whole milk Bulgarian)

    Heat ghee. Add the lamb and brown. Remove the lamb. Add the onion to the
    remaining ghee and brown lightly. Add the rogan josh mixture, salt, cayenne,
    saffron, and cardamom. Stir 1 minute. Add meat back in and slowly blend in
    the water and yogurt. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1.25 to 2 hours.
    Raise heat to medium high to reduce sauce until rather thick.

  4. DWACON

    DWACON Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Rogan Josh,
    > Kashmiri style

    A thousand thanks, sahib!

    --
    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    is now using antacid to deal with reality

  5. On Sat 18 Feb 2006 04:44:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it DWACON?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Rogan Josh,
    >> Kashmiri style

    > A thousand thanks, sahib!

    You're most welcome! Enjoy!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    Charles Gifford wrote:

    > It is my best dish when I want to be sure to make a hit. I've made this for
    > several years now and it is always perfect

    This is about what I do, but in a pressure cooker with goat.
    I open up the cooker and add large cubes of potato for the last
    20 minutes of "open" cooking.
    I have tried a few other versions, but the Penzey's spice mixture
    is the tops.
    blacksalt