Recipes from Great Depression?

In article <[email protected]>,
Roving Mouse <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
> cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
> source for them?
>
> TIA, Roving Mouse..

A quick Google search turned up several sites.

This one looked ok:

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/1918/great.html

HTH?
K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:39:11 GMT, Roving Mouse <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
>cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
>source for them?
>
>TIA, Roving Mouse..
>

>For nice links, visit my blog at:
>
>http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com

Sometimes they were very simple.

My mom remembered that, when she was a girl, the family of
seven sometimes only had a large turnip for supper.

<< Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
source for them?

R.M.-

You might also look into recipes from the South after the
Civil War. My mother mentioned hearing stories about how all
the crops had been burned and livestock killed during the
war. That was probably worse than the depression.

I think that may be the period where Mulligan Stew
originated. If I have my story right, it was a concoction
with anything they could get their hands on, including
rabbits or squirrels!

Fred

Recipes from Great Depression?
>Does anyone have any recipes from this era (

#####################
Mush. BG

"Roving Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
> cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
> source for them?
>
> TIA, Roving Mouse..

Popcorn with milk for breakfast. The milk goes on the
popcorn like cereal. My grandmother complained about being
fed that for breakfast durring the Depression.

Personally, I'd haunt antiques/junk shops for cookbooks of
the period and the discount bins at bookstores for
reprints/compilations of the CB's if I had any interest in
recreating foods from a dark period in 20th century
culinary history.

Jessica

> For nice links, visit my blog at:
>
> http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:39:11 GMT, Roving Mouse <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
>cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
>source for them?
>
>TIA, Roving Mouse..

You might look into the Foxfire books.

Tara

"Roving Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
> cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
> source for them?
>
> TIA, Roving Mouse..

Look for the following book:

Coupon Cookery - By Prudence Penny - It's a fun read.

Dimitri

The US Department of Agriculture and the home economist at
the North Dakota Mill and Elevator offered recipe
suggestions in "ration point cookery" and "Victory Garden
dining." Among the recommendations were "Yankee Doodle Prune
Pie in Victory Pie Crust" in which neither sugar nor butter
was used and "Stand Up and Cheer Hamburger Dinner" which
through creative culinary endeavor a pound of hamburger
could feed a family of six. Prudence Penny in her Coupon
Cookery preached the use of chicken for nutritious eating:
"If you've spent all your meat stamps and haven't any more
Eating chicken is a pleasant way to help to win the war."

The push on the home front was, as Prudence Penny so
eloquently stated, "to help win the war." The government
wanted to channel civilian energies into useful tasks, to
involve as many people as possible in the effort to beat
the Axis powers.

Tara <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:39:11 GMT, Roving Mouse
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
>>cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
>>source for them?
>>
>>TIA, Roving Mouse..
>
> You might look into the Foxfire books.
>
> Tara

Thanks Tara, and all who replied. I appreciate the help, and
will research all these suiggestions further this weekend,,

RM

--
For nice links, visit my blog:

http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com