Recipes from Great Depression?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Roving Mouse, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Roving Mouse

    Roving Mouse Guest

    Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    source for them?

    TIA, Roving Mouse..

    For nice links, visit my blog at:

    http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Roving Mouse <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    > cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    > source for them?
    >
    > TIA, Roving Mouse..

    A quick Google search turned up several sites.

    This one looked ok:

    http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/1918/great.html

    HTH?
    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:39:11 GMT, Roving Mouse <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    >cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    >source for them?
    >
    >TIA, Roving Mouse..
    >

    >For nice links, visit my blog at:
    >
    >http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com

    Sometimes they were very simple.

    My mom remembered that, when she was a girl, the family of
    seven sometimes only had a large turnip for supper.

  4. << Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    source for them?

    R.M.-

    You might also look into recipes from the South after the
    Civil War. My mother mentioned hearing stories about how all
    the crops had been burned and livestock killed during the
    war. That was probably worse than the depression.

    I think that may be the period where Mulligan Stew
    originated. If I have my story right, it was a concoction
    with anything they could get their hands on, including
    rabbits or squirrels!

    Fred

  5. Billkirch

    Billkirch Guest

    Recipes from Great Depression?
    >Does anyone have any recipes from this era (

    #####################
    Mush. BG

  6. "Roving Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    > cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    > source for them?
    >
    > TIA, Roving Mouse..

    Popcorn with milk for breakfast. The milk goes on the
    popcorn like cereal. My grandmother complained about being
    fed that for breakfast durring the Depression.

    Personally, I'd haunt antiques/junk shops for cookbooks of
    the period and the discount bins at bookstores for
    reprints/compilations of the CB's if I had any interest in
    recreating foods from a dark period in 20th century
    culinary history.

    Jessica

    > For nice links, visit my blog at:
    >
    > http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com

  7. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:39:11 GMT, Roving Mouse <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    >cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    >source for them?
    >
    >TIA, Roving Mouse..

    You might look into the Foxfire books.

    Tara

  8. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Roving Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    > cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    > source for them?
    >
    > TIA, Roving Mouse..

    Look for the following book:

    Coupon Cookery - By Prudence Penny - It's a fun read.

    Dimitri

    The US Department of Agriculture and the home economist at
    the North Dakota Mill and Elevator offered recipe
    suggestions in "ration point cookery" and "Victory Garden
    dining." Among the recommendations were "Yankee Doodle Prune
    Pie in Victory Pie Crust" in which neither sugar nor butter
    was used and "Stand Up and Cheer Hamburger Dinner" which
    through creative culinary endeavor a pound of hamburger
    could feed a family of six. Prudence Penny in her Coupon
    Cookery preached the use of chicken for nutritious eating:
    "If you've spent all your meat stamps and haven't any more
    Eating chicken is a pleasant way to help to win the war."

    The push on the home front was, as Prudence Penny so
    eloquently stated, "to help win the war." The government
    wanted to channel civilian energies into useful tasks, to
    involve as many people as possible in the effort to beat
    the Axis powers.

  9. Roving Mouse

    Roving Mouse Guest

    Tara <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:39:11 GMT, Roving Mouse
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have any recipes from this era (U.S. or other
    >>cuisines..) or can you recommend a good WWW or hard copy
    >>source for them?
    >>
    >>TIA, Roving Mouse..
    >
    > You might look into the Foxfire books.
    >
    > Tara

    Thanks Tara, and all who replied. I appreciate the help, and
    will research all these suiggestions further this weekend,,

    RM

    --
    For nice links, visit my blog:

    http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com