Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists

On Feb 22, 10:52 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Indeed. When I was a child, we walked or rode our bicycles to get places.
>
> It is a sick society that thinks a two ton steel cage is needed to haul
> a child around.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman -

Roger that, and when I was a kid there weren't a whole lot of fat
kids, maybe theres a connection between being hauled around in MVs and
the percentage of fatties in the grammar schools?

We only played hockey when the ponds froze over, maybe having adults
structure and organize their games is a contributing factor, as well.
I certainly feel more empowered without having to pay daily homage to
the auto/oil complex. Kids ain't any dumber than their parents, just
shorter; I'm sure being hauled around to play games set up by their
parents, destroying their autonomy, weakens their sense of self
esteem. If it doesn't it surely should. So what can they do to
repair their broken sense of self worth - I know, buy a really
expensive car! that'll fix everything.

On Feb 23, 11:50 am, DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 10:52 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > Indeed. When I was a child, we walked or rode our bicycles to get places..

> > It is a sick society that thinks a two ton steel cage is needed to haul
> > a child around.

> > --
> > Tom Sherman -

> Roger that, and when I was a kid there weren't a whole lot of fat
> kids, maybe theres a connection between being hauled around in MVs and
> the percentage of fatties in the grammar schools?
>
> We only played hockey when the ponds froze over, maybe having adults
> structure and organize their games is a contributing factor, as well.
> I certainly feel more empowered without having to pay daily homage to
> the auto/oil complex.  Kids ain't any dumber than their parents, just
> shorter; I'm sure being hauled around to play games set up by their
> parents, destroying their autonomy, weakens their sense of self
> esteem.  If it doesn't it surely should.  So what can they do to
> repair their broken sense of self worth - I know, buy a really
> expensive car! that'll fix everything.

This sounds to me like trying to convince a dinosaur to evolve...

Here's an actual interview with one:

Q: What's up. How does it feel to be on the verge of extinction?

A: Nah, there will never be one.

Q: All the reports point to a mass extinction.

A: Don't pay attention to that. Those are rumors spread by those
little furry mammals...

Q: But your behavior is obviously stupid. All that voracity and
violence...

A: Only necessary to keep the size that I've got.

Q: And why do you need that size?

A: Because I rule the jungle.

Q: And why do you need to rule the jungle?

A: You ask too many questions... Remember I've got a pea-sized brain.

(And here the interview was terminated. Then the dinosaur killed a few
more mammals, and went to sleep --65 million years ago)

Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
>> anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
> studded tires.

It sounds like the exercise would do a lot of people good. Besides,
there is something fundamentally wrong with people who do not like
riding a bicycle.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
>>> anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

>> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
>> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
>> studded tires.

>It sounds like the exercise would do a lot of people good.

Contrary to the beliefs of certain trainers, there's a difference
between exercise and self-torture. Riding a bike in the cold through
ice and slush falls into the latter category.

>Besides, there is something fundamentally wrong with people who do not like
>riding a bicycle.

There's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like
driving.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
>>> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
>>> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
>>> studded tires.

>> It sounds like the exercise would do a lot of people good.

> Contrary to the beliefs of certain trainers, there's a difference
> between exercise and self-torture. Riding a bike in the cold through
> ice and slush falls into the latter category.

Riding a bicycle in winter is fun, except for the out of control cagers
on the road. Studded tires, proper clothes and proper attitude are all
that are needed.

>> Besides, there is something fundamentally wrong with people who do not like
>> riding a bicycle.

> There's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like
> driving.

Most USians must not like driving too much, since they buy large, ill
handling vehicles, and then focus more on their phone conversations than
driving. People who actually like driving would benefit by getting all
these cagers off the road.

Do you enjoy driving in congested traffic with a bunch of clueless
cellphone yakkers?

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Riding a bicycle in winter is fun, except for the out of control cagers
> on the road. Studded tires, proper clothes and proper attitude are all
> that are needed.

I ride quite a bit (at least 10 miles a day), but I still don't like to
ride when the temperature is below 25 degrees. For me, it just gets
difficult to breath in those temperatures.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
> >anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
> studded tires.

20 below zero, not remotely uncomfortable, well over 15 miles a day.

Being a snot-nosed young punk as you are, you wouldn't understand the
need to actually work to maintain fitness, but you will, someday. Then
you will be One Of Us. Just remember that you heard it here first. And
the brand of tires you buy just might be Nokian.

Inline skating gives you treetrunk legs, not cycling.

dot max of the Fox River Valley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
>>> anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

>> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
>> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
>> studded tires.

> 20 below zero, not remotely uncomfortable, well over 15 miles a day.
>

> Being a snot-nosed young punk as you are, you wouldn't understand the
> need to actually work to maintain fitness, but you will, someday. Then
> you will be One Of Us. Just remember that you heard it here first. And
> the brand of tires you buy just might be Nokian.[...]

Does Nokian make an ISO 406-mm studded tire anymore (I was under the
impression that they had discontinued this size in the late 1990's)?

Fortunately, Schwalbe has both adopted superior tungsten carbide studs
and makes an ISO 406-mm version: <http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1788>.

In article
<[email protected]>,
donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 7:38 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >

> >  donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Just don't have so many kids. Or have them all ride bikes to the
> > > hockey game.

> > > Hey, a van sometimes is necessary. Nobody is preaching kicking the
> > > addiction altogether.

> > No.
> >
> > Just making the subtle assumption that it *is* an addiction; something
> > bad and to be eliminated.
> >
> > Personal vehicles are one of the greatest forces for personal liberty
> > and quality of life ever invented.
> >
> > --
> > Alan Baker
> > Vancouver, British Columbia
> > "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
> > to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
> > sit in the bottom of that cupboard."- Hide quoted text -

> When you notice all the couch potatoes behind the wheel stuck in
> traffic jams, you know they are addicted to gas. Even Bush admitted
> it, didn't he?

I wouldn't know.

But no, the existence of traffic jams doesn't show that.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Just don't have so many kids. Or have them all ride bikes to the
> >> hockey game.
> >>
> >> Hey, a van sometimes is necessary. Nobody is preaching kicking the
> >> addiction altogether.

> > No.
> >
> > Just making the subtle assumption that it *is* an addiction; something
> > bad and to be eliminated.
> >
> > Personal vehicles are one of the greatest forces for personal liberty
> > and quality of life ever invented.
> >

> The personal vehicle should be a bicycle.

And our worlds contract. How nice.

--

Scott in SoCal <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:36:51 GMT, Alan Baker <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><200eb468-e0bf-408b-8be9-0a80a84856ce@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> >> If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
> >> something seriously wrong.

> >They can just walk 15 miles on their own? At age 9?

> Maybe if you didn't buy that (larger) house out in the middle of what
> used to be a corn field he wouldn't be 15 miles away from everything.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> David White wrote:
> > "Scott in SoCal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Maybe if you didn't buy that (larger) house out in the middle of what
> >> used to be a corn field he wouldn't be 15 miles away from everything.

> > If I didn't, my kids would be going to the worst schools on the planet, and
> > getting shot at every other day. I choose to live where I do to keep my
> > family safe.

> That is what you think. However, your unsustainable lifestyle (combined
> with that of others living the same way) will leave a world for your
> children that is a living hell.
>
> The population of the world WILL severely decrease within the next
> century, and it will not be pleasant.

Would you care to bet on that?

--

Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> David White wrote:
>>> "Scott in SoCal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> If I didn't, my kids would be going to the worst schools on the planet, and
>>> getting shot at every other day. I choose to live where I do to keep my
>>> family safe.

>> That is what you think. However, your unsustainable lifestyle (combined
>> with that of others living the same way) will leave a world for your
>> children that is a living hell.
>>
>> The population of the world WILL severely decrease within the next
>> century, and it will not be pleasant.

> Would you care to bet on that?

No, because I might not be around to collect.

On Feb 23, 1:41 pm, [email protected] (Matthew T. Russotto)
wrote:

> There's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like
> driving.

Riding a bike is social, driving is antisocial. And driving can be
deadly to other people.

Only a Republican would disagree with that.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> dot max of the Fox River Valley wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

> >> Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
> >> actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
> >> studded tires.

> > 20 below zero, not remotely uncomfortable, well over 15 miles a day.
> >

> > Being a snot-nosed young punk as you are, you wouldn't understand the
> > need to actually work to maintain fitness, but you will, someday. Then
> > you will be One Of Us. Just remember that you heard it here first. And
> > the brand of tires you buy just might be Nokian.[...]

> Does Nokian make an ISO 406-mm studded tire anymore (I was under the
> impression that they had discontinued this size in the late 1990's)?

I have a cow orker with skinny studded nokians. They're 700c's, not 26".
Don't know.

> Fortunately, Schwalbe has both adopted superior tungsten carbide studs
> and makes an ISO 406-mm version: <http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1788>.

That's good news!

On Feb 23, 1:54 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Tom Sherman  <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> It sounds like the exercise would do a lot of people good.

> > Contrary to the beliefs of certain trainers, there's a difference
> > between exercise and self-torture.  Riding a bike in the cold through
> > ice and slush falls into the latter category.

> Riding a bicycle in winter is fun, except for the out of control cagers
> on the road. Studded tires, proper clothes and proper attitude are all
> that are needed.
>
> >> Besides, there is something fundamentally wrong with people who do not like
> >> riding a bicycle.

> > There's something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like
> > driving.

> Most USians must not like driving too much, since they buy large, ill
> handling vehicles, and then focus more on their phone conversations than
> driving. People who actually like driving would benefit by getting all
> these cagers off the road.
>
> Do you enjoy driving in congested traffic with a bunch of clueless
> cellphone yakkers?

You make a great point here. Americans hate driving for the most part.
But they hate biking too!

I think they like to show off more than real driving...

http://images.doityourself.com/stry/d/drivingcellphoneuse.jpg

On Feb 23, 3:58 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>

>  donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 21, 7:38 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > No.

> > > Just making the subtle assumption that it *is* an addiction; something
> > > bad and to be eliminated.

> > > Personal vehicles are one of the greatest forces for personal liberty
> > > and quality of life ever invented.

> > > --
> > > Alan Baker
> > > Vancouver, British Columbia
> > > "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
> > > to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
> > > sit in the bottom of that cupboard."- Hide quoted text -

> > When you notice all the couch potatoes behind the wheel stuck in
> > traffic jams, you know they are addicted to gas. Even Bush admitted
> > it, didn't he?

> I wouldn't know.
>
> But no, the existence of traffic jams doesn't show that.

It only shows there no options other than sitting in endless traffic
jams. Create the options, and you will see them come out of their
cages.

You wouldn't know this if you listen to all the vilification of drunk
drivers, while you see everybody chatting on the cell phone, but the
latter may be just as dangerous as the former. Well, it may just be
that, just as terrorism, they need a scapegoat to keep people off the
real subjects....

Cell phone driving = drunk driving...
If one of your pet peeves is people driving and talking on the
phone, now you have even more reason to be madd (sic). According to a
study by University of Utah psychologists, people are actually more
prone to creating an auto accident while talking on the phone than
drunk drivers are. "Just like you put yourself and other people at
risk when you drive drunk, you put yourself and others at risk when
you use a cell phone and drive," writes David Strayer, a psychology
professor and the study's lead author. "The level of impairment is
very similar."
The study, published in The Journal of the Human Factors and
Ergonomics Society, found that drivers talking on cell phones, either
handheld or hands-free, are more likely to crash because they are
distracted by conversation. Using a driving simulator under four
different conditions: 1) with no distractions, 2) using a handheld
cell phone, 3) talking on a hands-free cell phone, and 4) while
intoxicated to the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level, 40 participants
followed a simulated pace car that braked intermittently.
Researchers found that the drivers on cell phones drove more slowly,
braked more slowly and were more likely to crash. In fact, the three
participants who collided into the pace car were chatting away. None
of the drunken drivers crashed.

http://vibrantlivingnewsletter.blogspot.com/2006/07/cell-phone-driving-drunk-driving.html

On Feb 23, 4:00 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > David White wrote:
> > > "Scott in SoCal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > If I didn't, my kids would be going to the worst schools on the planet, and
> > > getting shot at every other day. I choose to live where I do to keep my
> > > family safe.

> > That is what you think. However, your unsustainable lifestyle (combined
> > with that of others living the same way) will leave a world for your
> > children that is a living hell.

> > The population of the world WILL severely decrease within the next
> > century, and it will not be pleasant.

> Would you care to bet on that?
>
> --
> Alan Baker
> Vancouver, British Columbia
> "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
> to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
> sit in the bottom of that cupboard."- Hide quoted text -

Do you think either of you will be around to collect?