Recom. for SPD-R pedal?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zilla, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe

    However, they don't position themselves well when
    I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    for me?

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    Tags:

  2. Zilla wrote:
    > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > and want to keep it that way.

    Me too. One pair of shoes does the whole shebang.

    > I now have these on
    > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe

    Looks like a good choice. I like the Shimano A520 myself.

    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0767-05'

    > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > for me?

    I have some problems sometimes with my A520 getting positioned, but I
    usually end up getting it 80% of the time, and if not, I go by feel and keep
    my eyes on the road.

    If you don't ride in the wet or get caught in the rain often, the easiest,
    cheapest solution is to dribble some light oil into the bearings, which will
    thin out the grease (I hear that grease makes a great pudding!) and cause
    the pedal to more naturally fall downward so that you can get used to the
    "flip-the-nose-of-the-pedal-up-with-the-toe-then-slide-the-cleat-into-the-pedal"
    regimen.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Zilla wrote:
    >> I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    >> and want to keep it that way.

    > Me too. One pair of shoes does the whole shebang.
    >
    >> I now have these on
    >> my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe

    > Looks like a good choice. I like the Shimano A520 myself.
    >
    > http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0767-05'
    >
    >> However, they don't position themselves well when
    >> I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    >> up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    >> for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    >> for me?

    > I have some problems sometimes with my A520 getting positioned, but I
    > usually end up getting it 80% of the time, and if not, I go by feel and
    > keep my eyes on the road.
    >
    > If you don't ride in the wet or get caught in the rain often, the easiest,
    > cheapest solution is to dribble some light oil into the bearings, which
    > will thin out the grease (I hear that grease makes a great pudding!) and
    > cause the pedal to more naturally fall downward so that you can get used
    > to the
    > "flip-the-nose-of-the-pedal-up-with-the-toe-then-slide-the-cleat-into-the-pedal"
    > regimen.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    I also use the same shoes and cleats for road and mountain-- I have m520s on
    both bikes and am happy with them. What is the advantage to the road
    specific spd pedals, other than they seem to be lighter? That being asked. I
    only do about 1000 miles a year on my road bike and have been toying with
    getting road specific pedals and shoes this year. Is it a an upgrade that is
    worth the money or that I'll notice?

    Steve

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Zilla wrote:
    > > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > > and want to keep it that way.

    > Me too. One pair of shoes does the whole shebang.
    >
    > > I now have these on
    > > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe

    > Looks like a good choice. I like the Shimano A520 myself.
    >
    > http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0767-05'
    >
    > > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > > for me?

    > I have some problems sometimes with my A520 getting positioned, but I
    > usually end up getting it 80% of the time, and if not, I go by feel and keep
    > my eyes on the road.
    >
    > If you don't ride in the wet or get caught in the rain often, the easiest,
    > cheapest solution is to dribble some light oil into the bearings, which will
    > thin out the grease (I hear that grease makes a great pudding!)

    No, it's a floor wax!

    --
    Michael Press

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Zilla wrote:
    > > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > > and want to keep it that way.

    > Me too. One pair of shoes does the whole shebang.
    >
    > > I now have these on
    > > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe

    > Looks like a good choice. I like the Shimano A520 myself.
    >
    > http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0767-05'
    >
    > > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > > for me?

    > I have some problems sometimes with my A520 getting positioned, but I
    > usually end up getting it 80% of the time, and if not, I go by feel and

    keep
    > my eyes on the road.
    >
    > If you don't ride in the wet or get caught in the rain often, the easiest,
    > cheapest solution is to dribble some light oil into the bearings, which

    will
    > thin out the grease (I hear that grease makes a great pudding!) and cause
    > the pedal to more naturally fall downward so that you can get used to the

    "flip-the-nose-of-the-pedal-up-with-the-toe-then-slide-the-cleat-into-the-pe
    dal"
    > regimen.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Yeah I've dabbed oil on them already since I don't ride
    wet weather. I eventually get clipped in, but I just noticed
    that it's easier when the pedals just do happen to be
    positioned correctly, which is about 60% of the time.

    Why not MTB pedals someone asked? Because the
    pedals I bought were cheaper at that time. :)

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  6. Zilla wrote:
    > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    >
    > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > for me?
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    Those aren't SPD-R. These are:
    http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/images/large/7701.jpg

    The cleats don't mount side/side, but top/bottom. Here are the cleats:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_090 SHISP2.jpg

  7. Zilla wrote:
    > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    >
    > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > for me?
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)

    Speedplay Zero. Well made, very maintainable, two sided, 'step onna
    bug' entry, big platform, great pedal.

  8. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Zilla wrote:
    > > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > > and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    > > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    > >
    > > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > > for me?
    > >
    > > --
    > > - Zilla
    > > Cary, NC USA
    > > (Remove XSPAM)

    > Those aren't SPD-R. These are:
    > http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/images/large/7701.jpg
    >
    > The cleats don't mount side/side, but top/bottom. Here are the cleats:
    > http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_090 SHISP2.jpg

    Thanks, you're correct. I meant "SPD"

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  9. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    > Zilla wrote:
    > > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > > and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    > > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    > >
    > > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > > for me?
    > >
    > > --
    > > - Zilla
    > > Cary, NC USA
    > > (Remove XSPAM)

    > Speedplay Zero. Well made, very maintainable, two sided, 'step onna
    > bug' entry, big platform, great pedal.

    Are they SPD compatible? (IOW, did you read my post?)

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    > and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    > my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    >
    > However, they don't position themselves well when
    > I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    > up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    > for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    > for me?

    This is typical of one-sided road pedals. You have to become
    accustomed to flipping the pedal flat with your toe, and sliding
    forward for engagement. It's much harder with tiny SPD road pedals
    than it is with Look, Campagnolo, Shimano ... Look copies. There's
    always Speedplay but I didn't care for them either (see below).

    It's not entirely clear what you're trying to do. My deduction is that
    you bought A520's to match your one pair of shoes, both bikes
    philosophy. That is, you want SPD pedals for your road bike to match
    the pedals on you mtb. If so, I would just get some Shimano M520's or
    better (540's or better for me). You will be told about the
    superiority of Speedplay, BeBop, Eggbeaters, etc., but I think Shimano
    has the best pedal for the money. I haven't used BeBops, but Speedplay
    left me short because they require constant maintenance (which is
    easy), and I had cleat issues (which, in all fairness, they are
    supposed to have fixed). This is also true of the road pedals. They
    work great but have issues with which I'd rather not deal. Regarding
    the healthfulness of float on your knees, I wouldn't take a pedal
    manufacturers recommendation on that. As for the Eggbeaters, they work
    fine but had inferior bearings and lack adjustable tension. I rode all
    these pedals except BeBop extensively and settled on Shimano SPD.
    Also, the cleats are ubiquitous, most durable and least expensive
    available.

    Get the Shimano 520's or better.

    Which pedals are you using on your mtb?

    Robin

  11. Robin Hubert wrote:
    > Zilla wrote:
    >> I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    >> and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    >> my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    >>
    >> However, they don't position themselves well when
    >> I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    >> up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    >> for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    >> for me?
    >>

    > This is typical of one-sided road pedals. You have to become
    > accustomed to flipping the pedal flat with your toe, and sliding
    > forward for engagement. It's much harder with tiny SPD road pedals
    > than it is with Look, Campagnolo, Shimano ... Look copies. There's
    > always Speedplay but I didn't care for them either (see below).
    >
    > It's not entirely clear what you're trying to do. My deduction is
    > that you bought A520's to match your one pair of shoes, both bikes
    > philosophy. That is, you want SPD pedals for your road bike to match
    > the pedals on you mtb. If so, I would just get some Shimano M520's or
    > better (540's or better for me). You will be told about the
    > superiority of Speedplay, BeBop, Eggbeaters, etc., but I think Shimano
    > has the best pedal for the money. I haven't used BeBops, but
    > Speedplay left me short because they require constant maintenance
    > (which is easy),
    > and I had cleat issues (which, in all fairness, they
    > are supposed to have fixed).

    Look's Phillips/flat head screws *suck.* They cannot be torqued adequately
    and require threadlocker.

    > This is also true of the road pedals.

    Speedplay's tiny Phillips head screws also suck like the Looks.
    Threadlocker also required.

    > They work great but have issues with which I'd rather not deal.
    > Regarding the healthfulness of float on your knees, I wouldn't take a
    > pedal manufacturers recommendation on that. As for the Eggbeaters,
    > they work fine but had inferior bearings and lack adjustable tension.

    Ooh, yay, super-light and self-destructing! I shall avoid these at all
    costs.

    > I rode all these pedals except BeBop extensively and settled on
    > Shimano SPD.

    Me too.

    > Also, the cleats are ubiquitous, most durable and least
    > expensive available.

    Thank goodness for that... the cleat fasteners have hex heads... they appear
    to be the only ones I've seen that use hi-torque hex head screws.

    > Get the Shimano 520's or better.

    I agree... there isn't much better. The M324s are good for a commuter/café
    bike.

    I'm going to try the Ritchey V4 pedals: the road pedals are similar in
    weight to the eggbeaters but are stainless and not titanium therefore they
    flex less and the bearings last longer. The MTB pedals are just plain
    light!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de news:[email protected],
    Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> a réfléchi,
    et puis a déclaré :
    > Robin Hubert wrote:
    >> Zilla wrote:
    >>> I use the same cleats for my MTB and road bikes
    >>> and want to keep it that way. I now have these on
    >>> my road bike. http://tinyurl.com/qlfoe
    >>>
    >>> However, they don't position themselves well when
    >>> I unclip, that is, they don't go vertical, or don't point
    >>> up, so I have a hard time clipping back in. Any recoms
    >>> for a decent road pedal that will work better and work
    >>> for me?
    >>>

    >> This is typical of one-sided road pedals. You have to become
    >> accustomed to flipping the pedal flat with your toe, and sliding
    >> forward for engagement. It's much harder with tiny SPD road pedals
    >> than it is with Look, Campagnolo, Shimano ... Look copies. There's
    >> always Speedplay but I didn't care for them either (see below).
    >>
    >> It's not entirely clear what you're trying to do. My deduction is
    >> that you bought A520's to match your one pair of shoes, both bikes
    >> philosophy. That is, you want SPD pedals for your road bike to
    >> match the pedals on you mtb. If so, I would just get some Shimano
    >> M520's or better (540's or better for me). You will be told about
    >> the superiority of Speedplay, BeBop, Eggbeaters, etc., but I think
    >> Shimano has the best pedal for the money. I haven't used BeBops, but
    >> Speedplay left me short because they require constant maintenance
    >> (which is easy),
    >> and I had cleat issues (which, in all fairness, they
    >> are supposed to have fixed).

    > Look's Phillips/flat head screws *suck.* They cannot be torqued
    > adequately and require threadlocker.

    And they persisted with that stupid design so long ! Last fall, I learned
    that they have finally come up with a new version ; it's still double cut
    for flats, but it has a hex-key relief also. I found that lubricating the
    screw worked better than a threadlock.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy