Recommend a bike to me, please!

Clem Clambake

Guest
I'm 31 and out of shape and I want to buy a bicycle. Can someone suggest to me a good brand, type,
etc.? I'm looking for something to go around my neighborhood and on the local bike trails.

Thanks much! Clem Clambake

Oh boy, where to start? I'm sure any "comfort bike" made by the major manufacturers (Giant, Trek,
Fugi, Raleigh) are pretty good. Another good choice is a "beach cruiser" by Schwinn, Raleigh,
Madwagon, etc. How much money do you want to spend? "Clem Clambake" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:Fn_sa.6989$%[email protected]...
> I'm 31 and out of shape and I want to buy a bicycle. Can someone suggest
> me a good brand, type, etc.? I'm looking for something to go around my neighborhood and on the
> local bike trails.
>
> Thanks much! Clem Clambake

I'm thinking $150 or less. Is that realistic for a decent bike? I really have no idea. I just don't
want to buy sme brand that makes flimsy bikes.

<[email protected]> wrote

Clem Clambake wrote:

> I'm thinking $150 or less. Is that realistic for a decent bike? I really have no idea. I just
> don't want to buy some brand that makes flimsy bikes.

Any $150 bike with suspension will have performance and reliability issues, so for starters, look at
bikes with the wheels rigidly connected to the frame. Steel rims are a negative indicator of
quality, you may be able to find decent derailleurs and aluminum rims for $150.

In the sub-$200 price range, a used $300-400 bike might be the best bet.

Mitch.

"Clem Clambake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Fn_sa.6989$%[email protected]...
> I'm 31 and out of shape and I want to buy a bicycle. Can someone suggest
> me a good brand, type, etc.? I'm looking for something to go around my neighborhood and on the
> local bike trails.

Any bike that fits the following conditions:
1. Within your budget
2. Fits *you* (bike fit can be a complex issue)
3. From a regular bike shop, not Walmart/Kmart

2 & 3 Are more important than 1. Hopefully, #3 will help you with #2.

Pete

$150 is a bit low for a decent bike.... I've seen some Diamondbacks for about $250 new that would do
nicely. You really get what you pay for (up to a point) in a bike. If you're going to actually ride
the bike a lot you'll thank yourself for spending a little more. Remember, it's durable good - and
will probably last you the rest of your life. The best low end mountain bike I've seen this year is
the Cannondale F300.... $525....

"Clem Clambake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cbdta.7177$%[email protected]...
> I'm thinking $150 or less. Is that realistic for a decent bike? I really have no idea. I just
> don't want to buy sme brand that makes flimsy bikes.
>
> <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > How much money do you want to spend?
>
> > "Clem Clambake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:Fn_sa.6989$%[email protected]...
> > > I'm 31 and out of shape and I want to buy a bicycle. Can someone
> suggest
> > > me a good brand, type, etc.? I'm looking for something to go around
my
> > > neighborhood and on the local bike trails.
> > >
> > > Thanks much! Clem Clambake
> > >

> > I'm 31 and out of shape and I want to buy a bicycle. Can someone
suggest
> > me a good brand, type, etc.? I'm looking for something to go around my neighborhood and on the
> > local bike trails.
>
> Any bike that fits the following conditions:
> 1. Within your budget
> 2. Fits *you* (bike fit can be a complex issue)
> 3. From a regular bike shop, not Walmart/Kmart
>
> 2 & 3 Are more important than 1. Hopefully, #3 will help you with #2.
>
> Pete

I recently needed to come up with 2 bikes that would be similiar to what Clem was describing. My
knowledge of bikes was not too bad 20 years ago, but since then I've not dealt with them much. The
first bike came from my LBS and is a Trek Navigator 100. $299. The second bike came from Walmart.
It's a Schwinn Suberban.(On sale for $132)...although I didn't take one they had assembled..instead
I got on in a box and finished assembly myself. Thus far I've had a couple of minor problems with
the Trek which the LBS promptly handled, but no probs what so ever with the Schwinn. Looking at the
2 bikes I was amazed how similiar they seemed to me. For the most part they seemed to have almost
exactly the same components. The Trek & the Schwinn have shock absorber seatposts....the schwinn
also has a double shock on the fork. So far I'm happy with them. How they will work out in the long
run I dunno. Personally I'm not totally sold on the more expensive a bike is.....the better it is.
For the negative remarks folks have made about Walmart bikes....the guys in the store that I know
say...returns or problems have been very rare. I'm aware that Schwinn is putting out a cheaper line
of bikes for stores like walmart...but in my past they have always been good. Maybe I'm just not
descriminating enough, but they are both comfortable, pedal easily and quietly, shift perfectly,
it's almost all good for me!

Clem Clambake wrote:

> I'm thinking $150 or less. Is that realistic for a decent bike? I really have no idea. I just
> don't want to buy sme brand that makes flimsy bikes.

You won't get a decent bike for $150, unless you opt for a used one. They can be had at auctions for
surprisingly low prices. If you want to try that, take a knowledgable person with you, as you won't
get any advice at the auction.

But if you are unexperienced, your best bet would be a good bike shop with a knowledgeble attendant
to guide you. They will also help you if you need maintainance. Standard is an inspection after the
first month or so, included in the price of the bike.

Quality in bikes is not something you see on first look. Is the frame aluminium (lite) or steel
(heavy). Is the coating good or will you get corrosion soon. I once had a handle bar break on me
during a ride, a surprise I could have done without. A good brand bike like Gazelle will last for 20
years and more, without trouble. Make sure that the bike frame matches your size (I am 1.95 m and
needed an oversized frame).

Tires come in different degrees of puncture resistance.

Any bolts should be of the shake-proof type (alternatively, two bolts 'countered' against
each other).

Also make sure your bike is road worthy, with bell, front and back lights, front, back and pedal
reflectors, spoke reflectors or reflecting tires, 2 independent brake systems, a decent stand.
Lights can be powered either with a dynamo or from batts. I prefer the dynamo, as you do not have to
worry about empty batts. Modern systems allow the lights to stay on a few minutes while you have to
wait (e.g. on a crossing).

Brakes should work with Bowden wires, bikes that have levers instead are definetly out of date.
Modern brakes act on the hub of the weels, rather than on two bits that press onto the rim. The
advantages are less maintainance and better braking action during rain.

Locks are the wrong place to save money, as I learned at my cost. A good lock will withstand even
moderately heavy tools like bolt cutters.

Unless you are in a totally flat terrain, you will want a gear shift. Get the ones that are inside
the hub of the hind weel (Sachs Torpedo is my favourite brand), they are more expensive than the
external ones but maintainance free. 3-7 gears should do for you, unless you want to go into racing.

Some bikes have suspension systems to lessen impact from potholes and the like. Some people like
them, I prefer the more 'direct' handling of an unsuspended bike. Just try both and go for what you
like most (of course that is possible only at a bike shop, not at a discounter). A good suspension
will add about $200 to the price of your bike.

You need a minimum set of tools to get you out of a fix while riding (variable spanner, philipshead
and blade type screw driver, tire patches with glue, replacement valves, air pump). Tools should be
of decent quality, otherwise they are next to useless. There are cans with a special foam which
hardens on contact with air to field repair punctured tires.

For a new quality bike the price tag will probably be in the $500-800 range, more if you want
something special.

While checking this NG out for advice, I came across your post. I'm thinking of moving to Missoula
this summer, and doing quite a bit of biking. If you wouldn't mind answering some questions, I'd be
most appreciative. Please respond via email.