Recommend a budget bike to accomodate the following:

pappaseb1117

Jun 26, 2010
Hi to all,

My name is Sebastian & I'm new here. I'm an athlete/body builder looking to buy a bike to get to/from the gym. Few days ago I decided I would like to cycle to the gym (about 20-30) min one way instead of driving. This way I'd get my warmp/cardio/body conditioning in before/after the workouts.

Unfortunately, I'm on a high budget for this. I know it comes down to "you get what you pay for" but I'm not a professional cyclist I'm just looking for a bike that will get to the gym & back while giving me a good run.

I don't care about the "ride" quality that much; I have a high tolerance. I need a bike that will be used at least 5 days out of the week with 1 hour total time of cycling per day.

You guys might laugh but I'd like to keep this under $400. Like I said I'm not looking for anything "professional" as I just don't have the money to fish-out on a bike but I don't want anything "Target" cheap either.

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out! Thanks!
-Sebastian

The Schwinn Circuit, a road bike, is about the $570 range, but wait till September and your local bike shops will have year end close outs. Some LBS's have a few of last years models lying around yet and you could pick up a deal with one of those if you need a bike sooner.

Froze said:
The Schwinn Circuit, a road bike, is about the $570 range, but wait till September and your local bike shops will have year end close outs. Some LBS's have a few of last years models lying around yet and you could pick up a deal with one of those if you need a bike sooner.
I don't think the OP should have to wait until September ...

The 2010 bikes in most LBSes should go on sale at the beginning of July (i.e., very soon!) if they haven't already been reduced in price ... on sale, I reckon a 2010 bike should sell for 20% less (or, even less) than the MSRP ...

A NOS 2009, should be ~30% less ... a NOS 2008 should be ~40% less.

Thanks for the reply guys. I should have mentioned that this will be my "attempt" at cycling to the gym @ 5 days a week max. I don't want to fish out too much money because not only am I on the budget but because I dunno how long I will be able to keep up cycling to the gym.

I understand & fully aware that the cheaper the bike the more horrid the ride/experience & will make a huge difference if I'll be able to cycle five days out the week. I'm going to hit up the LBS this week & see what they got. I'm really not for the latest date/model bike or even last years. I definitely wouldn't mind if the bike is 3 years old as long as it gets the job done.

I'd figure I'd ask you guys since you are the ones with cycling experience and are probably best suited to feel me out as far as knowing what I'm looking for. Alfeng: yeah, I don't really want to wait that long. I'm looking at making a purchase sometime this week.

Sebastian, I would strongly recommend you consider a mountain bike. I've had good luck with a couple of GT's in your price range. Nothing fancy heavy cheap forks on aluminum frames with rim brakes. But I got them both at a sporting goods store. It will have the same value for cardio warm-up. I prefer a 'cheap' mountain bike for commuting. The wheels will likely be tougher so you don't have to worry about hitting a pothole if traffic forces you in to it and you can bunny hop curbs.

Also when the sport of cycling does suck you in, and it very likely will. Mountain biking is really rewarding from a fitness/coordination/body awareness stand point and will utilize your total body strength sooner than road biking.

quenya said:
Sebastian, I would strongly recommend you consider a mountain bike. I've had good luck with a couple of GT's in your price range. Nothing fancy heavy cheap forks on aluminum frames with rim brakes. But I got them both at a sporting goods store. It will have the same value for cardio warm-up. I prefer a 'cheap' mountain bike for commuting. The wheels will likely be tougher so you don't have to worry about hitting a pothole if traffic forces you in to it and you can bunny hop curbs.

Also when the sport of cycling does suck you in, and it very likely will. Mountain biking is really rewarding from a fitness/coordination/body awareness stand point and will utilize your total body strength sooner than road biking.

Thanks for the reply. Any specific brands? I called one local BS and the guy was really helpful. I explained to him what I was looking for and why and he recommended me a brand that I, unfortunately, can't recall. Pricing was about 400 dollars brand new and said these were really good bikes.

I looked on few websites including DSG's in the 200 dollar range and came across a few..However, from the research I did spending 200+ on a GMC Denali 700cc road bike. I'd rather (according to the bike shop recommendations) spend additional 200 dollars and buy something more "high-end".

I don't think it makes a difference as to what type of bike I buy but I will be traveling with a backpack to carry gym gear... gloves, extra set of clothes, bottled water, etc...I'm also aiming for a bike (preference) who's handles are the v type & not the straight bar. Unless you don't recommend that?

As far as brands: irrelevant at your price point and your goals. I've had two GT avalanches, one got stolen, but they both worked perfectly for commuting.

I recommended a mountain bike for commuting because that's what I commute on. Bigger softer tires provide more control on imperfect or wet surfaces. The upright position gives you more visibility, if you're near traffic this is a huge benefit.