Road Cycling · Public discussion

Recommend a good course for first-time racer

Started by surista · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,549 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
27 April 2006
Last activity
4 May 2006
Original author
surista
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,549
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ARRGGGHH - after reading a lot of advice about how I should just forget racing my first year on the bike and instead focus on getting miles under me, I'm cracking from the pressure of reading race recaps on various forums, especially from riders making their race debuts. I figure there's always going to be a 'first time', and I'd like to get my feet wet, just so a) I have a better idea of what racing is all about, and b) exactly where I stand - or perhaps more accurately, how far back I stand - in terms of being competitive. I've been doing some group rides at increasing speeds, but as someone noted, all the practice in the world never really prepares you for a real race.

    So, anyway, I want to get my feet wet. I don't want to race against a bunch of sandbagging cat fives. I also want a course that's relatively safe, since (I assume) that other riders will also be newbies like me.

    Can anyone recommend a good 'newbie' race in the NY/NJ/PA area? Preferably sometime in late May or June, anywhere in the Atlantic area would be fine. I've been looking at some races on racelistings.com; this one seemed interesting because it has a 'beginners' group separate from the cat fives - even if the beginners race is really really short - only 16 miles. If the race is going to be that short I'd love to be able to do a second race the next day in the same area.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

    -S

  2. No way to guarantee that you won't have any sandbaggers in your race. It's part of racing.

    Most Cat. 5 courses are relatively short so you don't have to search hard for that.

    I'd look for a flat road race if I were you. Technical courses are tough for first-timers. So are 4,5,and 6-turn crits.

    Actually, the best environment for to get your feet wet would be a local training crit. Fees are minimal. Aggression is lower, participants are more sane because it is only a practice crit. Usually if you get dropped you are allowed to catch back on when the leaders lap you. It'll give you a good idea of how competitive you are at this point.

    Bob

  3. Im not sure where you are, but in Lancaster PA a group called Red Rose Races (redroseraces.com) puts on races every couple weeks. You can find them on Bikereg.com. If you're anywhere near one of those races, I would suggest checking them out.

  4. check out you lbs and see if there is a group that does practice crits. theres a group in town here that gets together on thur nights and races at a new housing development. the streets are brand new and clean, and they haven't started building yet. as was stated, if you drop off you can jump back on at the next lap. this will get you used to riding in close proximity to others as well. you will become more comfortable riding around others, and the other locals will become more comfortable riding with you. good luck.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.