Recommend a Helmet(my first one)

Hantori

Feb 12, 2007
Allo, new to the forums here and just browsing past topics on helmet recommendations and couldn't really come to a conclusion on what to get as their seemed to be some conflicting messages on different threads. Anyway after 4 years of commuting I think it's time to get one, "just in case" So wondering would anyone have one to recommend for comuting and 200+ miles cycles? My main question is, is price a factor in comfort or protection or both?

It's like shoes, you just have to try them and find one that fits the shape of your head best. Then you can think about the various anchoring mechanisms and the number of holes for cooling, typically within the same brand. The more hole there is, the more $$$ you'll have to fork out. At the end of the day, all of them would have passed the necessary national safety standards for your head protection. And there are not enough data to demonstrate a difference in their ability to protect out in the real world b/n the various models.

Irrespective, for comfort on sweaty days, nothing beats a good bandana or headband worn underneath your helmet (so make sure there's room to spare). It'll keep the sweat off your eyes. Halo is a brand that I had good experiences with.

Hantori said:
Allo, new to the forums here and just browsing past topics on helmet recommendations and couldn't really come to a conclusion on what to get as their seemed to be some conflicting messages on different threads. Anyway after 4 years of commuting I think it's time to get one, "just in case" So wondering would anyone have one to recommend for comuting and 200+ miles cycles? My main question is, is price a factor in comfort or protection or both?
============================================================
You don't ride with a helmet?!!
Are you nuts?:eek:

Ok, got that out of my system. I would never ride without one - I(along with my family) value my brain too much.
Giro make a good range. I have an Eclipse that's served me well for 3 years. It's reasonably priced but has good features.
If you feel you need it or want the option you may want to go to a MTB type helmet as then you'll have the option of adding a peak on. Great for keeping the sun out of eyes - I added one to mine but have taken it off again as I only ride a roadrace bike and bending down meant having my head up to look under the peak and I was getting a sore neck.

Get a bright coloured one - to be more easily seen.

Get a mirror to stick on it(I wouldn't ride without that either) to see vehicles coming from behind. Mine has helped me get off the road a number of times when the vehicle(usually a truck) wouldn't have moved over for me - scary:eek:

+1 on the Giro. The Pneumos have come down in price recently. While any certified helmet will protect you, a better model will offer more vents and a more comfortable fit especially for longer rides. Helmets are not an area where you want to try to save a few bucks. Checkout some of the online retailers, many times they have last year's models heavily discounted.

First, find the models that fit the shape of your head.
Then think about whether there's enough ventilation and whether you want to pay to get more of it. Usually the best value sits in the middle of the various manufacturer's ranges.
Also look at the crash replacement warranty. It varies by manufacturer, but usually you'll get a replacement helmet at substantial discount.

I only buy Giro because they were the only sponsor to stand by Lance while he was battling cancer. All his other sponsors dropped him like an ugly nephew.