recommend a reading light?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Walter Mitty, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in a tent?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in a tent?

    Those LED headlights look dorky, but work real well around camp.

  3. Walter Mitty wrote:

    >What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in a tent?

    I put a little key ring on the base of my mini-mag (it has a whole for one), attach a metal (belt?)
    clip to that, and hang it from the ceiling of my tent.

    You can hold also a mini mag in your mouth while you cook. Just don't lean over the pot or you're
    likely to drool into your dinner. ô¿Ô¬ ...... Or, get one of those head band holders.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it

  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >Walter Mitty at [email protected] wrote: What light did you cycle/campers take in
    >order to cook & read at night in a tent?

    My main light is a 10w halogen with two Velcro mounting straps for helmet mounting ( wrapped in the
    vents). This makes for very flexible mounting. I attach it to the mirror and extension when I have
    the full velomobile fairing on. I wrap it around handle bars. It can go flat on surfaces and be hung
    from the ceiling of the tent.

  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Walter Mitty wrote:

    > What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in a tent?

    A white LED headlamp (I use the Princeton Aurora which has three brightness settings plus flash
    mode). Lightweight, small, batteries last a long time, and it can be an emergency bike light
    replacement if the main light fails (but with very cautious riding).

  6. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

  7. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in
    > tent?

    Candles for any reading, supplemented with flash lights, for cooking, poking around after things,
    going to the loo, etc.

    Per http://lowdin.nu

  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Terry Morse wrote:

    > Walter Mitty daydreamed:
    >

    >>What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in a tent?
    >

    > Petzl Tikka headlamp. It's small, lightweight, and lasts a very long time on one set of batteries:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ypzwg
    >
    > But if you're really trying to save space and weight, the Petzl Zipka is the way to go:
    >
    > http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/PET1520

    If you go with either of these, get the 'Plus' versions which allow you to adjust the tilt. I found
    the original Tikka and Zipka point down too much to be usable as an emergency headlight without
    adding some paper or other padding under the strap.

  9. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in a tent?

    I found a 5 led headlight from a site "cheaper than dirt" for 9.97 it has 3 white led's and 2
    flashing red's ( switch on top to change modes). its the cheapest ive seen so far and works
    ok for me.

  10. Per Löwdin wrote:

    >> What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in
    >> tent?
    >
    >Candles for any reading, supplemented with flash lights, for cooking, poking around after things,
    >going to the loo, etc.

    Oh yeah, I forgot, ... that's what I have ended up using now. An REI (or other branded)
    candle lantern.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it
    is common.
    *****************************

  11. NobodyMan

    NobodyMan Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:51:59 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in
    >> tent?
    >
    >Candles for any reading, supplemented with flash lights, for cooking, poking around after things,
    >going to the loo, etc.
    >
    >Per http://lowdin.nu

    Candles, in a tent? Do you relish the idea of burning to death within your tent?

    And how do you cook using a flashlight? I imagine it takes forever to heat anything up with it.

  12. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

  13. Bill Cotton

    Bill Cotton Guest

    "ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night
    in a
    > > tent?
    >
    > I found a 5 led headlight from a site "cheaper than dirt" for 9.97 it has 3 white led's and 2
    > flashing red's ( switch on top to change modes). its the cheapest ive seen so far and works
    > ok for me.
    On my previous camping trips, I use my bicycle lights, http://www.billcotton.com/lightbar.htm
    However, you posting the question, cause me to realize that I can to use one of the headlamp that I
    converted for night cross country skiing. I bought a head light from Harbor Freight with one LED
    item # 45807 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search now selling for
    2.99 USD, and converted it to a 30 LED light by replacing the single LED with a 1156 auto 30 LED
    replacement bulb and machining the reflector to fit over that bulb and attaching a wire to my 12
    volts electric system. http://www.billcotton.com/bicycle_electric.htm#Current%20LED%20lights A five
    LED is available from Battery Space. http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?0=0&1=0&3=415 at two
    for 16.95 USD.

  14. Timo Noko

    Timo Noko Guest

  15. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:45:02 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
    (Timo Noko) wrote:
    >This ancient design of mine was designed to be a candle-replacement. It runs ONE MONTH with a set
    >of batteries: http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/ledilamppu/english.html

    One month as in, turn it on, it continues to run until the batteries run out one month later? Or as
    in, use it randomly every day for a month...

    What is "Fairy ultra"?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  16. Timo Noko

    Timo Noko Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian wrote:
    >On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:45:02 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Timo Noko) wrote:
    >>This ancient design of mine was designed to be a candle-replacement. It runs ONE MONTH with a set
    >>of batteries: http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/ledilamppu/english.html
    >
    >One month as in, turn it on, it continues to run until the batteries run out one month later? Or as
    >in, use it randomly every day for a month...

    (2000 mAh / 20 mA) = 100 hours continuously or 3 hours every night.

    >What is "Fairy ultra"?

    European (or nordic) dish-washing liquid.

  17. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive
    wit when in news:[email protected] he conjectured
    that:

    >> What light did you cycle/campers take in order to cook & read at night in
    >> tent?
    >
    > Candles for any reading, supplemented with flash lights, for cooking, poking around after things,
    > going to the loo, etc.

    I would never use candles in a tent.

  18. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    [email protected] (Timo Noko) brightened my day with his incisive
    wit when in news:[email protected] he conjectured
    that:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian wrote:
    >>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:45:02 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Timo Noko) wrote:
    >>>This ancient design of mine was designed to be a candle-replacement. It runs ONE MONTH with a set
    >>>of batteries: http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/ledilamppu/english.html
    >>
    >>One month as in, turn it on, it continues to run until the batteries run out one month later? Or
    >>as in, use it randomly every day for a month...
    >
    > (2000 mAh / 20 mA) = 100 hours continuously or 3 hours every night.
    >
    >>What is "Fairy ultra"?
    >
    > European (or nordic) dish-washing liquid.

    So 4 days then you spoofer!

  19. Timo Noko

    Timo Noko Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty wrote:
    >[email protected] (Timo Noko) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in news:[email protected]
    >news1.kolumbus.fi he conjectured that:

    >>>One month as in, turn it on, it continues to run until the batteries run out one month later? Or
    >>>as in, use it randomly every day for a month...
    >>
    >> (2000 mAh / 20 mA) = 100 hours continuously or 3 hours every night.
    >>
    >>>What is "Fairy ultra"?
    >>
    >> European (or nordic) dish-washing liquid.
    >>

    >So 4 days then you spoofer!

    Ok, ok... But you can glue one of these 33mA solarpanels (2 euros) on top of the battery box and
    then it will work FOREVEEEERRRR!!!!!

    http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/etrex/index.html

  20. Per Löwdin

    Per Löwdin Guest

    > I would never use candles in a tent.

    We don´t have them inside the inner tent but in the vestibule on the ground or placed in a bottle,
    often we have had no choise as we have been camping where there has been not electricity.

    Per http://lowdin.nu