Recommend a smaller, more compact helmet?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I currently have a medium Bell Alchera helmet and it looks really big on my head. The fit is great but I hate how overly large it looks on my head. I've seen some bicycling magazines and the helmets the riders have are very compact and don't look bloated compared to how mine fits. Is there a reasonably priced helmet that isn't as big as my Bell helmet (~$70)?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I have a small head and bought a women's Bell helmet. It fits great, but I would love something that on the outside looked smaller. Maybe even something that weighs a little less, too, as to take some weight off of my upper body. Anyone? Anyone?

Yeah! I thought I was the only one who thought the same thing you guys did. You figure it out, let me know --

You probably won't find one in the $70 range. Most of the lower profile helmets that you see the pros wearing retail in the $150-$200 neighborhood.

I just can't help this... It's not the size that matters! ;)

This is interesting timing. Last week, after giving it some thought and considering the attitude of Sheldon Brown, I plan to have fun with my helmet.

I just bought a black Bell helmet that I like due to its price ($20) and air flow, but I also like visibility, so I plan on painting a pattern on it with acrylic glow in the dark green paint. I'm thinking of either using some masking tape and doing something linear, or just brushing it on in splotches... or maybe a little of both.

The only thing I know for sure is that it will be visible. Which is what I go for in cycling wear.

A helmet will always look big (in my opinion) unless it is nestled around a head that is moving on a bicycle. The faster you ride the smaller the helmet looks. Don't judge a helmet by what it looks like standing still in front of a mirror.

And as an alternative, consider wearing a large helmet with pride. Proclaim that it needs to be that big to protect the contents properly. After all, it is what is inside that will always outshine what is outside.

I recently bit the bullet and bought a new Giro Atmos (black) after years of never really being satisfied with my lids. Th Atmos is small, cool and light. I didn't like shelling out the green, but after a few rides I haven't given it a second thought.

Scott

kaian said:
I was actually wondering the same thing. I have a small head and bought a women's Bell helmet. It fits great, but I would love something that on the outside looked smaller. Maybe even something that weighs a little less, too, as to take some weight off of my upper body. Anyone? Anyone?
If you've got the same women's Bell (Bella) at 260 grams that I have you can't get much lighter - even the Giro Atmos ($180!!!) is only 20 grams less in weight and I've taken off the visor so its probably even lighter now.

cheapie said:
i tried the atmos and the bell sweep. the sweep was substantially more comfortable...and cheaper.

it's the best bell makes and can be had for....drumroll....$89 from nashbar BEFORE coupons.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=13936&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

i rode it on a tri-century a couple weeks ago and was :D.
Ditto. When I wanted a new helmet I tried every helmet in every store I visited. The Sweep is, in my opinion, the most comfortable helmet made.