Recommend cycling day pack

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, May 3, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I'm looking for a well made cycling daypack - like a small knapsack with two shoulder straps and a
    waist strap, to keep it from swinging back and forth. I don't need a hydration system pack, or
    anything technical. It's for bike commuting to work. Any specific suggestions for something well
    made? Thanks in advance. Jeff

    for personal replies, email to jeffp at "en why see" dot "ar ar" dot com

    Tags:

  2. Dana Kilalps

    Dana Kilalps Guest

    I've found lately that Walmart and similar stores carry a variety of packs that are relatively
    inexpensive and meet your criteria. Dana "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a well made cycling daypack - like a small knapsack with two shoulder straps and a
    > waist strap, to keep it from swinging back and forth. I don't need a hydration system pack, or
    > anything technical. It's for bike commuting to work. Any specific suggestions for something well
    > made? Thanks in advance. Jeff
    >

    > for personal replies, email to jeffp at "en why see" dot "ar ar" dot com

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a well made cycling daypack - like a small knapsack with two shoulder straps and a
    > waist strap, to keep it from swinging back and forth. I don't need a hydration system pack, or
    > anything technical. It's for bike commuting to work. Any specific suggestions for something well
    > made? Thanks in advance. Jeff
    >

    > for personal replies, email to jeffp at "en why see" dot "ar ar" dot com

    Do not go to Walmart. Everything there will be of inferior quality, and you will just need another
    bag sooner than you'd like.

    Go to your local outdoor store - EMS, REI, etc. - and look through their daypacks. If you must shop
    online, shop at Moosejaw. Any good outdoor store will have 10-20 packs that will do what you need
    them to. For the most part, every brand in there (excepting The North Face) will be more durable
    than necessary. Specifically, Mountainsmith, Arc'teryx, Marmot, Gregory, Dana Designs, and Osprey
    all make bombproof packs.

    IMO, the best commuting daypack available is the Arc'Teryx Volt (http://tinyurl.com/aw6f), and,
    though it's a bit pricey, Arc'teryx is legendary for their quality, durability, and comfort - their
    products are as close to perfect as is out there.

    Chris

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I'm looking for a well made cycling daypack - like a small
    knapsack
    > with two shoulder straps and a waist strap, to keep it
    from swinging
    > back and forth. I don't need a hydration system pack, or
    anything
    > technical. It's for bike commuting to work. Any specific
    suggestions
    > for something well made? Thanks in advance. Jeff

    Check the "Web Specials" page at www.patagonia.com. They make a bunch of excellent backpacks.
    They tend to be expensive, but if you get them on sale they're no moreso than others that aren't
    half as good.

    I bought one awhile ago for $50 that has exceeded my expectations. I'll probably have it forever.

    Matt O.

  5. On Sat, 03 May 2003 17:21:09 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > IMO, the best commuting daypack available is the Arc'Teryx Volt (http://tinyurl.com/aw6f), and,
    > though it's a bit pricey, Arc'teryx is legendary for their quality, durability, and comfort -
    > their products are as close to perfect as is out there.
    >
    > Chris

    Mountainsmith is worth a look. Basically, you want a pack designed for rock climbers or other active
    sports people.

    Most Walmart packs are basically bags with straps.

    I have a Mountainsmith daypack that, when adjusted property, feels weightless and does not move on
    your back at all while you move. (Important on a bike - even a small moving weight can be a hazard.)
    Mountainsmith is very pricey, but worth it. It even has an integral rain cover, important if you
    commute in bad weather.

    -Dondo

  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    thanks for the suggestions - jeff

    for personal replies, email to jeffp at "en why see" dot "ar ar" dot com

  7. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Go to any place that sells schools supplies!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  8. "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Go to any place that sells schools supplies!

    > "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I'm looking for a well made cycling daypack - like a small knapsack with two shoulder straps and
    > > a waist strap, to keep it from swinging back and forth. I don't need a hydration system pack, or
    > > anything technical. It's for bike commuting to work. Any specific suggestions for something well
    > > made? Thanks in advance. Jeff

    I like the Vaude Splash 25 - been using one almost every day for the past two and a half years. It
    is comfortable on a bike, has a waist strap, chest strap, a rain fly, and is expandable.

    --
    Bennett Fischer Brooklyn, NY

    [email protected] <http://www.auldlangsyne.org

  9. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    On Sun, 04 May 2003 21:21:30 -0400, Bennett Fischer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Go to any place that sells schools supplies!
    >
    >> "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> > I'm looking for a well made cycling daypack - like a small knapsack with two shoulder straps
    >> > and a waist strap, to keep it from swinging back and forth. I don't need a hydration system
    >> > pack, or anything technical. It's for bike commuting to work. Any specific suggestions for
    >> > something well made? Thanks in advance. Jeff
    >
    >I like the Vaude Splash 25 - been using one almost every day for the past two and a half years. It
    >is comfortable on a bike, has a waist strap, chest strap, a rain fly, and is expandable.

    Thanks - I just ordered one at closeout (2001 model) for 45.93 at REI outlet. Jeff

    for personal replies, email to jeffp at "en why see" dot "ar ar" dot com

  10. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Well, I see you've already gotten a pack, which is fine, 'specially since you got it from my
    company, REI. But I just thought I'd add that, personally, I hate having to ride with something on
    my back. I much prefer a rack with a rack-top pack or panniers. Not that I don't occasionally use a
    "backpack" (a camelback mule when it's really hot and I want to carry 100oz. of icy cold water) but
    given a choice, I find a rack and bag much better.