Recommend repair and maintenance books?

Jeff Kwapil

Guest
Hey, readers. Recommend any repair and maintenance books?

My 1981 copy of Eugene Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" is wonderful, but it's missing a few
recent developments like cassette hubs.

The web is as good as most books. Sheldon Brown's site is very good. Jobst Brandt's the Bicycle
wheel is terrific.

Garry is correct, the web is a superb resource for bike repair.

But I'd like a book.

On a warm day, I enjoy the lawn with bike, book and beer.

news:[email protected]...

"Jeff Kwapil" <[email protected]> wrote in news:A2f%9.31$Ez2.10757324 @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
> Hey, readers. Recommend any repair and maintenance books?

Zinn's books are pretty good. He has one two, one for road bikes and one for mountain bikes. These
are tutorial in nature and don't cover every model of component. For that, try Sutherland's or
Barnett's, but neither is cheap.

Ken

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Jeff Kwapil wrote:

> Garry is correct, the web is a superb resource for bike repair.
>
> But I'd like a book.
>
> On a warm day, I enjoy the lawn with bike, book and beer.

Jeff,

If you want exhaustive, the Barnett's manuals are as comprehensive as they are spendy. The _Zinn and
the Art of..._ books are really good, but there are separate volumes for road and mountain bikes w/
a great deal of overlap, so if you have both (or if you ride a road bike with canti brakes),
you'llface a bit of a quandary. The Bicycling Magazine Bike Maintenance and Repair book isn't as
good as the Zinn books and is tediously verbose in many places, but is a handy one-volume source.
Lastly, Haynes (the car repair manual folks) publish a one-volume _Haynes Bicycle Book_ that is
quite useful.

Trent

In article <Pine.A41.4.44.0302021448180.14210-100000@homer41.u.washington.edu>, trent gregory hill
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Jeff Kwapil wrote:
>
> > Garry is correct, the web is a superb resource for bike repair.
> >
> > But I'd like a book.
> >
> > On a warm day, I enjoy the lawn with bike, book and beer.
> >

> Jeff,
>
> If you want exhaustive, the Barnett's manuals are as comprehensive as they are spendy. The _Zinn
> and the Art of..._ books are really good, but there are separate volumes for road and mountain
> bikes w/ a great deal of overlap, so if you have both (or if you ride a road bike with canti
> brakes), you'llface a bit of a quandary. The Bicycling Magazine Bike Maintenance and Repair book
> isn't as good as the Zinn books and is tediously verbose in many places, but is a handy one-volume
> source. Lastly, Haynes (the car repair manual folks) publish a one-volume _Haynes Bicycle Book_
> that is quite useful.
>
> Trent

The recommendation for Zinn's book is seconded. I bought the Mountain version for my dad (yeah,
maybe as much a gift for me as him), but the advice it gives has walked me through virtually all the
tough spots in the maintenance of my ancient touring road bike too.

The ideal solution is to lobby Zinn and his publisher to revise the two volumes into a single
complete bike maintenance book. But that hasn't happened yet.

There is a FAQ that covers these things, BTW.

I second all of the Zinn nominations. Definitely better than the Bicycling Mag book.

Peter