Recommend some Insurance

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian G Batten, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    I've just gone a bit silly and laid out what I euphemistically told my wife was ``two'' on a bike.
    The penny has finally dropped with her that I didn't mean hundreds, and she quite rightly reminds me
    that some insurance might be a nice idea.

    We could put it on the all risks sections of the house and contents policy, which has new for old
    and all that sort of good stuff, but (a) the required levels of security may not become explicit
    until they're rejecting my claim and (b) as a good citizen it's been bugging me all year that
    I've not got any meaningful third party cover, and as a legitimate user of mixed-use towpaths I
    think I should.

    Marin (it's a Mount Vision) offer a policy themselves, but it contains a load of things I don't need
    (trivial amounts of death and disability for which I have other cover). It also has a broken website
    from which I can't get a quote with Mozilla.

    I believe that the CTC offer cover, and joining them would be a good idea anyway.

    What's peoples' experience been?

    ian

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I believe that the CTC offer cover, and joining them would be a good idea anyway.

    I would always recommend joining the CTC anyway :)

    I found their insurance OK, others think it a bit dear. I think it depends on how many bikes you
    have - the price per additional bike seems small, presumably on the wholly logical grounds that
    you can only ride one at a time. Check your house contents insurer and see if you can get it on as
    a named item (many insurers refuse to accept that a bike could possibly be worth more than a
    trivial sum).

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > We could put it on the all risks sections of the house and contents policy, which has new for old
    > and all that sort of good stuff, but (a) the required levels of security may not become explicit
    > until they're rejecting my claim and (b) as a good citizen it's been bugging me all year that
    > I've not got any meaningful third party cover, and as a legitimate user of mixed-use towpaths I
    > think I should.

    You may well have third-party cover through your household insurance - my parents discovered I did
    as a teenager. I would go for the house contents option if they'll have it for a not unreasonable
    sum. You can always ask them in writing what the required levels of security are. And joining the
    CTC is a good thing anyway - not only do you get another set of 3rd party insurance, you also get an
    interesting magazine and other stuff.

    cheers, clive

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ian G Batten wrote:

    > I believe that the CTC offer cover, and joining them would be a good idea anyway.
    >
    > What's peoples' experience been?

    Join the CTC, they do a good job representing cyclists and deserve your support. Don't bother with
    their insurance - it will cost you close to £200 a year to insure your bike from my past experience.
    Either try your house contants insurer or otherwise phone Fern Insurance (ad in the back of the CTC
    mag - available to non-members in WHS usually) and they will set you up with a specific household
    with bikes insurance with a big name insurer at a good price. They even arrange the termination and
    premium refund on my previous insurance. The insurance they offered was totally practical in the
    coverage - included overseas touring - and restrictions.

    Tony

  5. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,

    > "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > out.ftel.co.uk...
    >
    > > We could put it on the all risks sections of the house and contents policy, which has new for
    > > old and all that sort of good stuff, but (a) the required levels of security may not become
    > > explicit until they're rejecting my claim and (b) as a good citizen it's been bugging me all
    > > year that I've not got any meaningful third party cover, and as a legitimate user of mixed-use
    > > towpaths I think I should.
    >
    > You may well have third-party cover through your household insurance - my parents discovered I did
    > as a teenager.

    I do have third-party cover, but last time I checked I think it was associated with the house and
    not with me. Which means that remote from the house I'm not covered. I'll have to read the Ts&Cs in
    more detail.

    ian

  6. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    > price. They even arrange the termination and premium refund on my previous insurance.

    Thanks for the advice, although this option may not fly for me: the house and contents policy is a
    staff policy via my wife at a significant discount.

    ian

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > You may well have third-party cover through your household insurance -
    my
    > > parents discovered I did as a teenager.

    > I do have third-party cover, but last time I checked I think it was associated with the house and
    > not with me. Which means that remote from the house I'm not covered. I'll have to read the Ts&Cs
    > in more detail.

    Two separate issues: third party cover & theft cover. Third party cover you get automatically with
    CTC membership, £5m worth. You might also get a discount at your bike shop (I do). Theft insurance
    is a shop-around job.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ian G Batten wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]
    > family.com> wrote:
    >> price. They even arrange the termination and premium refund on my previous insurance.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice, although this option may not fly for me: the house and contents policy is a
    > staff policy via my wife at a significant discount.

    Maybe but staff policy plus separate bike policy may be more than new policy including bikes.
    Worth a try

    Tony

  9. Ian G Batten wrote:

    > I've just gone a bit silly and laid out what I euphemistically told my wife was ``two'' on a bike.
    > The penny has finally dropped with her that I didn't mean hundreds, and she quite rightly reminds
    > me that some insurance might be a nice idea.
    >
    > We could put it on the all risks sections of the house and contents policy, which has new for old
    > and all that sort of good stuff, but (a) the required levels of security may not become explicit
    > until they're rejecting my claim and (b) as a good citizen it's been bugging me all year that
    > I've not got any meaningful third party cover, and as a legitimate user of mixed-use towpaths I
    > think I should.
    >
    > Marin (it's a Mount Vision) offer a policy themselves, but it contains a load of things I don't
    > need (trivial amounts of death and disability for which I have other cover). It also has a broken
    > website from which I can't get a quote with Mozilla.
    >
    > I believe that the CTC offer cover, and joining them would be a good idea anyway.
    >
    > What's peoples' experience been?
    >
    > ian

    Insurance companies no longer insure bikes out of the home for a sensible sum. Bikes up to a
    couple of hundred quid can be insured economically - more expensive ones can't, unless you find a
    real bargain.

    For example, a major building society's home contents insurance covers bikes in the home for no
    additional fee, but if you want cover when you're out for a 2 grand bike, you can't have it *at
    all*. Cover for a £1,500 bike will double the contents premium for an average house, so own a
    couple of nice bikes and self-insurance seems the way to go. £1,500 really isn't much for a bike if
    you read C+!

    Buy a big lock and keep it at work if you commute. Otherwise don't let the bike out of your (or your
    riding buddies') sight. If you have to go shopping by bike, buy an old 10-speed racer for twenty
    quid, spray it with black Hammerite and get the brakes and gears working as best you can.

    Even good road bikes used to be practically invisible to thieves and I never worried about locking
    mine, but they're becoming fashionable again :-(

  10. Andy Todd

    Andy Todd Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>,

    > > "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > out.ftel.co.uk...
    > >
    > > You may well have third-party cover through your household insurance - my parents discovered I
    > > did as a teenager.
    >
    > I do have third-party cover, but last time I checked I think it was associated with the house and
    > not with me. Which means that remote from the house I'm not covered. I'll have to read the Ts&Cs
    > in more detail.

    Check the contents section of the policy.

    Buildings covers 3rd party cover is libaility associated with the building.

    The contents policy libility insurance covers personal libility.

  11. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Insurance companies no longer insure bikes out of the home for a sensible sum. Bikes up to a
    > couple of hundred quid can be insured economically - more expensive ones can't, unless you find a
    > real bargain.

    LloydsTSB want a couple of quid a month for two grand (quote got this afternoon). There's a staff
    discount in there, but on past experience that'll not be huge and the terms and conditions are the
    same. My experience with their contents insurance has been fairly positive over the years.

    ian

  12. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Maybe but staff policy plus separate bike policy may be more than new policy including bikes.
    > Worth a try

    Two quid a month for a two grand bike. I doubt anyone's going to offer it to me cheaper.

    ian

  13. Claire

    Claire Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> writes:
    >In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Maybe but staff policy plus separate bike policy may be more than new policy including bikes.
    >> Worth a try
    >
    >Two quid a month for a two grand bike. I doubt anyone's going to offer it to me cheaper.

    I doubt it too. I pay 180/annum for two ~1500 Marins and that was the best offer I got!

    Check the T&C carefully though. With my CTC cover, we're only covered if the bikes are chained to
    something, even when they are in the garage at home. And I've read recently about people not being
    covered because their lock was not on an approved list supplied by their insurers.

    Claire
    --
    Still prettiest by far.

  14. Frobnitz

    Frobnitz Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Insurance companies no longer insure bikes out of the home for a sensible sum. Bikes up to a
    > couple of hundred quid can be insured economically - more expensive ones can't, unless you find a
    > real bargain.
    >
    > For example, a major building society's home contents insurance covers bikes in the home for no
    > additional fee, but if you want cover when you're out for a 2 grand bike, you can't have it *at
    > all*. Cover for a £1,500 bike will double the contents premium for an average house, so own a
    > couple of nice bikes and self-insurance seems the way to go. £1,500 really isn't much for a bike
    > if you read C+!

    I didn't find this at all. I just put my new Streetmachine (okay, the _soon_ to be my, just a few
    more days) on my household policy - it was an extra 50 pounds a year for a replacement value of 2000
    pounds. My annual household premium was fairly low at 330 pounds per year, but doubled it hasn't.
    The insurance is through my lenders, it's not a special deal, the terms are reasonable, certainly as
    reasonable as the terms for the insurance on the CTC site - i.e. I just have to lock it to an
    imovable object - the locks are not specified - when not in the house, and my house has to have the
    standard locks.

    Seems a bargain.

    YMMV I suppose.

  15. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Claire <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Check the T&C carefully though. With my CTC cover, we're only covered if the bikes are chained to
    > something, even when they are in the garage at home. And I've read recently about people not being
    > covered because their lock was not on an approved list supplied by their insurers.

    I asked those questions, and they said `no detailed conditions, but you should take reasonable
    precautions'. The wise man will choose a lock found on plenty of other companies' lists, and use it.

    I suspect that rates for non-all-risks bike insurance is bumped up because it will
    disproportionately be used by people who don't have all-risks policies to build on. And all-risks
    policies self-select people who don't like in shared housing, for example.

    ian

  16. Frobnitz wrote:

    > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Insurance companies no longer insure bikes out of the home for a sensible sum. Bikes up to a
    >>couple of hundred quid can be insured economically - more expensive ones can't, unless you find a
    >>real bargain.
    >>
    >>For example, a major building society's home contents insurance covers bikes in the home for no
    >>additional fee, but if you want cover when you're out for a 2 grand bike, you can't have it *at
    >>all*. Cover for a £1,500 bike will double the contents premium for an average house, so own a
    >>couple of nice bikes and self-insurance seems the way to go. £1,500 really isn't much for a bike
    >>if you read C+!
    >

    > I didn't find this at all. I just put my new Streetmachine (okay, the _soon_ to be my, just a few
    > more days) on my household policy - it was an extra 50 pounds a year for a replacement value of
    > 2000 pounds. My annual household premium was fairly low at 330 pounds per year, but doubled it
    > hasn't. The insurance is through my lenders, it's not a special deal, the terms are reasonable,
    > certainly as reasonable as the terms for the insurance on the CTC site - i.e. I just have to lock
    > it to an imovable object - the locks are not specified - when not in the house, and my house has
    > to have the standard locks.
    >
    > Seems a bargain.
    >
    > YMMV I suppose.

    Must change insurers this year then! Mine wanted about £12 a month extra for one bike and I have
    three, so that would be a tidy £432 per year :-(

  17. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Must change insurers this year then! Mine wanted about £12 a month extra for one bike and I have
    > three, so that would be a tidy £432 per year :-(

    I have 8 on my contents policy including a trice and its still a lot less than that.

    John B

  18. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:02:03 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Must change insurers this year then! Mine wanted about £12 a month extra for one bike and I have
    >three, so that would be a tidy £432 per year :-(

    Try Fern Assurance. Adverts in the cycling press.

    Tim

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    JohnB wrote:
    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >>

    >> Must change insurers this year then! Mine wanted about £12 a month extra for one bike and I have
    >> three, so that would be a tidy £432 per year :-(
    >
    > I have 8 on my contents policy including a trice and its still a lot less than that.

    Me too, all covered within the house and any subset up to an agreed maximum value out of the house
    at any one time. IIRC it costs about a fiver a month for a £7k total.

    Tony

  20. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:17:39 -0000, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)Join the CTC, they do a good job representing cyclists and deserve your )support. Either try your
    :house )contants insurer or otherwise phone Fern Insurance (ad in the back of the CTC )mag

    Do they have a web site ?
    --
    Comm again, Mike.