Recommend tool kit

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Destroy, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a patch
    type kit, just tool kit. thanks

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

  3. My all time favourite is still the classic "cool tool"

    greg.

    Destroy wrote:

    > Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a
    > patch type kit, just tool kit. thanks

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a
    > patch type kit, just tool kit. thanks

    I carry a pump, Park mini chain tool, Spokey spoke wrench, tire levers, Lifu folding hex key set
    with phillips blade, flat blade and 8mm hex adapter. These should fit all the possible fasteners on
    your bike. If you have nuts on your bike like on canti brakes you may want to carry a set of metric
    Craftsman "ignition" wrenches (again only the ones I need for my bike). I have found that several of
    the bike 'multi tools' are largely useless as many of the wrenches are placed on them so as to be
    inaccesible or ineffective to most bolts on the bike. Just make sure you can make good use of all
    the tools before you head 'out there'. If I'm downhilling I also carry a small adjustable wrench to
    undo my rear thru axle. But it is also useful in straightening out bent chainrings or disc rotors.

    Also spares like tubes, zip ties, paper money, tyvec paper or powerbar wrapper for a tire boot,
    chain links or master links and some good ol' West Virginia chrome (duck tape).

    Keep your tools away from your spare inner tube or you may find a hole worn in it when it comes time
    to use it.

    Mike

  5. Simon

    Simon Guest

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

  7. I use the alien too its been superb for me too, the tyre levers arnt designed for downhill / heavier
    tyres though I managed to snap both mine, lucky I carry spares and wasnt stranded. Howard

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Dii%[email protected]>...
    > How 'bout this one?
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/PPM_2.shtml
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    Someone else got it right. The problem with most multitools is that some of the more intricate tools
    are a pain to use. Ask MattB how much easier a Park Mini Chain Brute handles a broken chain compared
    to the multitool he was trying to fix one with recently. If you are a weight weenie and don't mind
    fumbing with tools when you need to fix your bike on the trail, go ahead with a multitool.

    JD

  9. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    >>Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a
    >>patch type kit, just tool kit. thanks
    >

    > Crowbar, Jack Hammer, and a couple of "C" clamps.

    Wow, you must ride a real winner of a mtn bike. ;)

    Thanks all, for the replies btw.

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:58:53 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a patch
    >type kit, just tool kit. thanks

    Crowbar, Jack Hammer, and a couple of "C" clamps.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Destroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >>Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a
    > >>patch type kit, just tool kit. thanks
    > >

    > > Crowbar, Jack Hammer, and a couple of "C" clamps.
    > >

    > Wow, you must ride a real winner of a mtn bike. ;)
    >
    > Thanks all, for the replies btw.

    Those must be singlespeed tools. ;^)

    Mike - yer welcome.

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    >> > Crowbar, Jack Hammer, and a couple of "C" clamps.
    >> >

    >> Wow, you must ride a real winner of a mtn bike. ;)
    >>
    >> Thanks all, for the replies btw.
    >>

    >Those must be singlespeed tools. ;^)

    Right tools for the right job :)

    Later, Bill

    :-]

  13. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:03:39 GMT, Destroy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Any suggestions on a decent tool kit to get for FS mtn bike all day trail rides? Don't need a
    >>>patch type kit, just tool kit. thanks
    >>

    >> Crowbar, Jack Hammer, and a couple of "C" clamps.
    >>

    >Wow, you must ride a real winner of a mtn bike. ;)
    >
    >Thanks all, for the replies btw.

    Good to see you have a since of humor.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]