Recommendation a bike for short rider..

falco1031

Mar 28, 2010
Hello,

I am trying to get a road bike that will fit me. The problem is that I am 5 03" and short legs and so the standover heights for most bike are still big.
I was looking into the Felt AR5 but the smallest size it was fabricated was in a 51 size. Does anyone know how big are they and would you recommend it?

Also does anyone know the actual standover height for the Pinarello FP3 as they come in a 44 but I have seen reviews that say they run really big. The online catalog for Pinarello does not show standover heights.

Thanks in advance.
David

Honestly, what you should do is get to a bike shop and physically try some out. If you've never had a bike, and this is your first one, I would not recommend just shopping online and looking at pictures. You need to get on some models, and you'll have a better idea.

Asking for advice on a bike online is like asking medical questions online, a million different answers and opinions. Picking out a bike is totally a personal thing. Don't rush your decision. Take your time and do some homework, not just online, but physically sitting and riding on bikes.

Good luck,
-Greg

gman0482 said:
Honestly, what you should do is get to a bike shop and physically try some out. If you've never had a bike, and this is your first one, I would not recommend just shopping online and looking at pictures. You need to get on some models, and you'll have a better idea.

Asking for advice on a bike online is like asking medical questions online, a million different answers and opinions. Picking out a bike is totally a personal thing. Don't rush your decision. Take your time and do some homework, not just online, but physically sitting and riding on bikes.

Good luck,
-Greg

The problems is, although there are three cycling stores in this area, that they do not carry other models and have only sizes from 54 and above. I did go to all three store and they measured me. Another thing is that they do not carry all brands only specialized, jamis, giant and one store has only 2 eddy merckx bikes in stock. So I just was wondering if someone how has tried out several brand to recommend one that comes smaller.

Send an e-mail to [email protected] and ask them everything you want to know. That is my LBS and they specialize in Felt, among other big names that you might not see at a typical average shop. These guys will help you out for sure, just ask for Marty or Dean. I got my ride there. If you want their phone number let me know.

-Greg

My girlfriend had the same problem and we purchased a specialized dolce. Specialized run smaller i would look at the Allez in a 49Cm that should work.

I'm pretty sure a popular brand like specialized ought to have bikes that are your size...they're just not popular enough for those stores to stock. Are these bike shops small stores? If they are they're likely not to have a great selection. You're kinda short, but definitely not a midget by any means.

Just take your time looking for a bike until you can find one that's comfortable. You'll probably be riding that bike for several years so it's worth taking even a few months looking for the right bike.

I kind of have this dilemma with pants, as I'm a size 28"X33" male with respect to pants, which are almost impossible to find in a regular department store, but that's another matter...

How much are you looking to spend? As a short rider myself, I have several Cervelos which fit me really well -- they are known for making the geometry of their bikes work on their small frames (not just "shrinking" the large frames and keeping the same dimensions), have a look at their website for more info.

But like other posters said, you really have to go try some out and get fitted or it's money wasted. Surely there are some other bike shops you can go and see?

If all else fails, try this self-fitting calculator from Competitive Cyclist, then do some research online looking at the geometries of various makes and models to find one that closely approximates your measurements. Then go find one in real life at a store and give it a try.

Find a Serrato dealer and get fit tested. They can customize a bike to fit you. I am 5' 1" and have two Serrato bikes. A steel customized and a production Serrato bike.

mageepe1 said:
Find a Serrato dealer and get fit tested. They can customize a bike to fit you. I am 5' 1" and have two Serrato bikes. A steel customized and a production Serrato bike.

Don't you mean Serotta ?