recommendation and value q

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bd

I just broke down my old Colnago Super that I built up with a complete gruppo (excluding
headset/seatpost) of Shimano 600 Ultegra in 1990, which as far as I know was the first year of the
Ultegra designation when they came out with the 7 speed in gray paint finish.

I left the wheels (Campy Delta clinchers) built up on the 600 Ultegra hubs and everything is in very
good condition. The set includes an Italian bb typical for Colnago (70mm shell), fd, rd, brakes,
levers, downtube shifters, hubs, cranks (170, I believe). If I hadn't decided to just do a complete
restoration on the Colnago, I would have replaced the chainrings and rear cassette, as they've seen
a good number of miles since their last replacement.

In addition to the original Ultegra downtube shifters, I eventually upgraded to RSX 7sp STI levers
which I've used on a double ring set up, but are triple compatible. These are top notch.

Anyhow, before I put the whole set up on RoadBike Review classifieds or Ebay or something, I was
wondering what some of you would think may be a ball-park price for the complete set? I know it'd be
helpful to see some pics, but I haven't been able to borrow a digital camera just yet for that
purpose just yet.

From what I've seen for some items, I think I may do better to part it out and sell off the
components individually. For example, the RSX 7sp are pretty hard to find and look to fetch
somewhere around $100 alone.

Recommendations are welcome. I would just like to get the best I can for these things as well as
find a good home for this stuff.

On 20 Dec 2003 04:45:36 -0800, [email protected] (BD) may have said:

>From what I've seen for some items, I think I may do better to part it out and sell off the
>components individually. For example, the RSX 7sp are pretty hard to find and look to fetch
>somewhere around $100 alone.
>
>Recommendations are welcome. I would just like to get the best I can for these things as well as
>find a good home for this stuff.

In general, when selling used parts on eBay, it is better to sell items individually except for
those which are typically only sold together. I've noticed that quite often, a big pile of good used
stuff on eBay will bring less than the individual pieces would have; after all someone shopping for
used parts is probably looking to repair a specific failure, not upgrade a whole bike.

That said, it's important to remember that the task of composing a good, effective listing is not a
one-minute process, either; something that won't sell for more than $5 in any event is probably best
tossed in with an appropriate other item.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
it's also possible that I'm busy.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.