Recommendation for a Carbon Road shoe?

azdroptop

May 25, 2005
I'm in need of a new set of road shoes and have been looking at Sidi and Nike. Seems price wise I"m any where from 150 to 200 U.S.? Any input would be great.

azdroptop said:
I'm in need of a new set of road shoes and have been looking at Sidi and Nike. Seems price wise I"m any where from 150 to 200 U.S.? Any input would be great.
i have a set of the new silver and blue Nike poggio 3's. i find them a good shoe. nice and tight with three straps and the carbon sole is really stiff, but quite light. i use a pair of single strap shimano's in triathlons, but wear the poggio's on the long road sessions and time trials.As a bonus they make you look like you can ride really fast...........it's all about intimidation:mad:

azdroptop said:
I love my Specialized. First pair of new cycling shoes in about a decade and they're stiff, stiff, stiff and really comfortable. I ride speedplays and there's no hit of a hotspot, even at the end of the Marin Century this past August.

azdroptop said:

undefinedundefined

Specialized makes a nice carbon road bike shoe. I've been very pleased with it.

Hi,

I ride Shimano's both plastic sole and carbon soles. There is absolutely only one major difference. The purchase price!

Shimano are the one and only brand for my feet. However the top model (is it the SHR 115?) has the disadvantage that the front rubber has two very small iron spikes that go through the sole. After a heavy endurance event in the Dolomites this year, for two months I lost feeling in three toes due to these spikes.

Another disadvantage is that once you make a little walk on your carbon soles... they're ruined. The advantage is the weight.

Ciao, B.

I use the top of the line Shimano. I forget the model number right now. It's a very very nice shoe which I got at a great price. Very light weight, stiff, and comfortable. I prefer a mecahnical closure for the top of the shoe so I can adjust it while I ride.

-Matt

azdroptop said:
hey mate, i own a pair of sidi energy shoes and i'll tell why i chose them over a pair of poggios or topline shimano shoes.
- everything on a pair of sidi's is replaceable eg.heel, straps, buckles, tongue,..., everything. i dont think nike and shimano shoes have replaceable parts.
- especially with carbon soles, nike and shimano dont have a rubber heel like sidi's, which means you'll always be walking on carbon.
- top line sidi's look a hell of a lot better than shimano/nike, but up to personal taste. shimano shoes are too common, stand out from the crowd.
- if you get shimano shoes you limit yourself to shimano groupset, shimano shoes and campy groupset just aint right.
-sidis have a more slim shoe compared to shimano/nike so you dont look like you have huge bulky feet.

i hope this helps in your decision.

I have the $99 CAT 1 road shoes from Performance Bike. Yes, they are carbon fiber soled and they fit nice and I've done over 1000 miles on them and they're holding well and not tearing apart. They went as low as $89 once. I'm very happy with these shoes. I didn't want to spend the big bucks on shoes like Sidi or whatever.

a1086528 said:
hey mate, i own a pair of sidi energy shoes and i'll tell why i chose them over a pair of poggios or topline shimano shoes.
- everything on a pair of sidi's is replaceable eg.heel, straps, buckles, tongue,..., everything. i dont think nike and shimano shoes have replaceable parts.
- especially with carbon soles, nike and shimano dont have a rubber heel like sidi's, which means you'll always be walking on carbon.
- top line sidi's look a hell of a lot better than shimano/nike, but up to personal taste. shimano shoes are too common, stand out from the crowd.
- if you get shimano shoes you limit yourself to shimano groupset, shimano shoes and campy groupset just aint right.
-sidis have a more slim shoe compared to shimano/nike so you dont look like you have huge bulky feet.

i hope this helps in your decision.
Great advice! I have the Sidi Dynamic 3's and they are holding up well after 3 years and about 10,000 miles. I am noticing a bit of 'flex' with them though so that's why I'm thinking carbon. Still have me original heal pads. LOL :)

azdroptop said:
I would look at Vittoria shoes. They're very light, very stiff, they look good, and they need no break-in period. They're comfortable out of the box. Buy a half-size smaller than you usually wear because they run slightly large. I wear a 44, but in Vittoria I wear a 43 1/2.

Good luck.

Scarpelli said:
I would look at Vittoria shoes. They're very light, very stiff, they look good, and they need no break-in period. They're comfortable out of the box. Buy a half-size smaller than you usually wear because they run slightly large. I wear a 44, but in Vittoria I wear a 43 1/2.

Good luck.
where can I find them? I found their main website, but it didn't have prices and such.

azdroptop said:
where can I find them? I found their main website, but it didn't have prices and such.
Go to the website of the U.S. distributor, Torelli Imports (excellent lightweight Torelli and Mondonico steel frames and Guerciotti, too.) There are descriptions, shoe weights, pictures, and prices. For what you get in a hand-made Italian shoe, they're not expensive. If you call Torelli, Chairman Bill usually answers the phone himself.
http://www.torelli.com/vittoria/vittroad.html

Scarpelli said:
Go to the website of the U.S. distributor, Torelli Imports (excellent lightweight Torelli and Mondonico steel frames and Guerciotti, too.) There are descriptions, shoe weights, pictures, and prices. For what you get in a hand-made Italian shoe, they're not expensive. If you call Torelli, Chairman Bill usually answers the phone himself.
http://www.torelli.com/vittoria/vittroad.html
Cool! Thank you. :)

i love my specialized carbon road shoes. exceptionally comfortable.

04ShoeProRoadCarbon2_d.jpg

It might be on the upper end of your scale, but for narrow feet, the DMT RST has been a nice shoe for me. I blew up my trusty pair of Sidi's (G4) at a race and picked up the DMTs at a local shop. Nice shoe and they've held up well. FYI, there is no discernable difference between the soles of the two; I think it comes down to how well the shoe fits your foot and how light it is and how well it breathes.

chris

Best option:

You really don't need carbon, plus get the lightest shoe pedal combo you can find that fits your feet. Rotating weight is so critical.

Sidi G5 (non carbon) is the best bang for the buck as it quite light @ less than 600 grams /pair, lots of sizes with both normal, narrow, and wide (mega) widths. If I had 220 I would get them.

The next level ZETA is also a decent shoe for 150.

I recommend speedplay X2s.

I have ridden lots of shoes, have had several versions of sidi shoes G4, Genius 3, Energy SDS2, Ergo 1, very nice and well constructed italian shoes.

I just got set of custom Rocket7, pricey but worth every penny. These shoes with the powertap powermeter was the best investments that I ever made in cycling.

j

road demon said:
Best option:

You really don't need carbon, plus get the lightest shoe pedal combo you can find that fits your feet. Rotating weight is so critical.

Sidi G5 (non carbon) is the best bang for the buck as it quite light @ less than 600 grams /pair, lots of sizes with both normal, narrow, and wide (mega) widths. If I had 220 I would get them.

The next level ZETA is also a decent shoe for 150.

I recommend speedplay X2s.

I have ridden lots of shoes, have had several versions of sidi shoes G4, Genius 3, Energy SDS2, Ergo 1, very nice and well constructed italian shoes.

I just got set of custom Rocket7, pricey but worth every penny. These shoes with the powertap powermeter was the best investments that I ever made in cycling.

j
I tried on a few different syles today. Specialized, Sidi, And Supergo Carbon. Out of the 4 or 5 shoes I tried the Supergo's were the most comfortable. Not as light as the others, but stiff and comfy. Thus far in my short cycling career, 3.5 years, I've used Sidi and Look cleets. To be honest I'm still not sure which direction I'm going to go. I've been looking at the Nike's, but I really don't want to spend 200+. The search continues.