Recommendation for a kid's bike

Philip

Guest
I am looking to buy a new bike for my 8 year old daughter. It will be use almost exclusively for use
on roads and sidewalks (I know that not always legal but sometimes necessary). What brands should I
consider? I know everyone recommends going to the local bike shop but it can get expensive if you
only get 1 1/2 years (actually 5 months of good weather use)of use out of a bike before they out
grow it like the last two I purchased. The bikes in the local bike shop start at $250 (even for a
single speed). What features should I be looking for? Thanks for the advice.

> I am looking to buy a new bike for my 8 year old daughter. It will be use almost exclusively for
> use on roads and sidewalks (I know that not always legal but sometimes necessary). What brands
> should I consider? I know everyone recommends going to the local bike shop but it can get
> expensive if you only get 1 1/2 years (actually 5 months of good weather use)of use out of a bike
> before they out grow it like the last two I purchased. The bikes in the local bike shop start at
> $250 (even for a single speed). What features should I be looking for? Thanks for the advice.

Many people here will disagree, but I think your local Walmart, Benny's or other mass-market store
is fine for this level of bike, as long as you do some reading ahead of time to be sure you get the
correct size. The sales people there will most likely not know a thing about sizing correctly. The
general idea would be to get the biggest size she can ride comfortably, and then adjust the seat and
handlebars as she grows. It will also help if you are somewhat mechanically minded and can make any
necessary adjustments to brakes and gears.

it's morning".

You can't go too far wrong if you decide to take David's advice. However, to be more specific about
"the largest bike she can comfortably ride," be sure both her feet (at least the toes) can touch the
ground when she's in the saddle at its lowest position. Putting a kid on a bike that's too big can
turn her off to bicycling very quickly.

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "archer"
<ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I am looking to buy a new bike for my 8 year old daughter. It will be use almost exclusively for
> > use on roads and sidewalks (I know that not always legal but sometimes necessary). What brands
> > should I consider? I know everyone recommends going to the local bike shop but it can get
> > expensive if you only get 1 1/2 years (actually 5 months of good weather use)of use out of a
> > bike before they out grow it like the last two I purchased. The bikes in the local bike shop
> > start at $250 (even for a single speed). What features should I be looking for? Thanks for the
> > advice.
>
> Many people here will disagree, but I think your local Walmart, Benny's or other mass-market store
> is fine for this level of bike, as long as you do some reading ahead of time to be sure you get
> the correct size. The sales people there will most likely not know a thing about sizing correctly.
> The general idea would be to get the biggest size she can ride comfortably, and then adjust the
> seat and handlebars as she grows. It will also help if you are somewhat mechanically minded and
> can make any necessary adjustments to brakes and gears.
>

> --
> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
> morning".
>
> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

In article <%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> You can't go too far wrong if you decide to take David's advice. However, to be more specific
> about "the largest bike she can comfortably ride," be sure both her feet (at least the toes) can
> touch the ground when she's in the saddle at its lowest position. Putting a kid on a bike that's
> too big can turn her off to bicycling very quickly.

Good point. In addition, A kid who can't put her feet down when on the seat is likely to fall a lot
when first getting used to it.

DON'T FORGET THE HELMET!

archer wrote:
> In article <%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> You can't go too far wrong if you decide to take David's advice. However, to be more specific
>> about "the largest bike she can comfortably ride," be sure both her feet (at least the toes) can
>> touch the ground when she's in the saddle at its lowest position. Putting a kid on a bike that's
>> too big can turn her off to bicycling very quickly.
>
> Good point. In addition, A kid who can't put her feet down when on the seat is likely to fall a
> lot when first getting used to it.
>
> DON'T FORGET THE HELMET!

Also remember that small kids are not coordinated enough to use a handbrake. See to it she gets a
footbrake on her first bike. I just taught my own six year old to ride a bike this last week. Not
until I put the saddle low enough so she could touch both feet on the ground did she learn. After
that it was just up and away. She still hasn't learned to use the brakes properly yet. We are
working on that by going on slight downhill where she doesn't have to pedal, just adjust her speed
with the footbrake. In a little while we will put it all together. In the meantime she just puts
both feet on the ground and use them as brakes ;)

What really is great is the way she loves to fight going uphill. She'll fight until she's zigzaging
uphill with a big grin on her face and panting really hard. And then she says "again"

--
Perre

Remove the DOTs to reply

Philip wrote:
> I am looking to buy a new bike for my 8 year old daughter. It will be use almost exclusively for
> use on roads and sidewalks (I know that not always legal but sometimes necessary). What brands
> should I consider? I know everyone recommends going to the local bike shop but it can get
> expensive if you only get 1 1/2 years (actually 5 months of good weather use)of use out of a bike
> before they out grow it like the last two I purchased. The bikes in the local bike shop start at
> $250 (even for a single speed). What features should I be looking for? Thanks for the advice.

Figure out what size she needs by taking her to a bike shop and having her stand over the boys'
bikes (which are generally a sturdier design and possibly better resale value). Then hit garage
sales, thrifts, police auctions, and bike shop bulletin boards. (Recognize that you should take
it back to the shop for a tune-up and any needed repairs.) If you live in a neighborhood or close
to a grade school, see about organizing or hosting a bike swap day where the big kids pass along
their outgrown rides. (A bike that's been used one year and outgrown should sell for perhaps half
of what you paid new, depending on where you advertise it.) Get something with aluminium rims,
probably a mountain bike style. Eight-YO's can deal with handbrakes after practice. Derailleurs
have a steeper learning curve, but my younger niece was 7 when she was presented with a 5-speed
Trail-a-Bike and learned when/how to shift. I found the deal of the century at a thrift chain
formerly known as Value Village, now called Value World. (It's the retail outlet for Purple
Heart.) A girls' 15-speed Raleigh mixte with 24" wheels, sized to fit the bigger niece *and* her
favorite color. In excellent shape. I paid a whopping $2.91 for it. --Karen M.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also remember that small kids are not coordinated enough to use a handbrake. See to it she gets a
> footbrake on her first bike.

I think most eight-year-olds are capable of using handbreaks.

My son's first bike was a $30 dollar Wal-Mart special (I think it was actually purchased at a garage
sale). Second was also a discount cheapo. He's seven now and this year after Christmas I looked at
the discount stores, but the little Diamondback at the Local Bike Shop was only about $50 more and
had quality cold-forged components rather than stamped junk. The bar end indexed shifters work
really nice and my son's been joining me on some shorter rides.

I'm shopping for a bike for my three-year-old daughter now. I looked at a little toddler bike at the
LBS, but paying $120 for a Trek with 12 inch wheels at this level seems a bit excessive, so it's off
to Wal-Mart I go :)

RFM

Thanks

news:<[email protected]>...