Recommendation for Hybrid 700cc wheel/rim ?

rs

Guest
I have a Univega Hybrid w/ 700x32cc I cruise around town on. The original
rims are Weinmann 519 and the rear broke a couple of spokes a few weeks ago
and today did it again. Time for a more rugged wheel? What would be some
recommendations in a wheel a step up from this one but not too expensive? One
reputable LBS showed me this wheel with an double wall Alex DA19 rim and a
Deore hub for $70. Good wheel? Good Price? Thanks to all. Rick.

I've posted again and again in defense of Alex rims, if they're built
right, they're bulletproof. My Chicago commuter did perhaps 20K with
those, and I often carried 50# of Indian food from Devon street in the
baskets over nasty potholes.

Deore hubs are quite decent and that's a good price. See to it that
they "destress" and retrue the wheel if needed--that's almost more
essential than brand.

That's a fair price, btw.

You might want to give the spokes a pluckin' after picking it up to see
how varied they are in tone. Wild differences will indicate a very
poorly built wheel.

rs wrote:
> I have a Univega Hybrid w/ 700x32cc I cruise around town on. The original
> rims are Weinmann 519 and the rear broke a couple of spokes a few weeks ago
> and today did it again. Time for a more rugged wheel? What would be some
> recommendations in a wheel a step up from this one but not too expensive? One
> reputable LBS showed me this wheel with an double wall Alex DA19 rim and a
> Deore hub for $70. Good wheel? Good Price? Thanks to all. Rick.

It's "700c" - not "cc".

rs wrote:
> I have a Univega Hybrid w/ 700x32cc I cruise around town on. The original
> rims are Weinmann 519 and the rear broke a couple of spokes a few weeks ago
> and today did it again. Time for a more rugged wheel? What would be some
> recommendations in a wheel a step up from this one but not too expensive? One
> reputable LBS showed me this wheel with an double wall Alex DA19 rim and a
> Deore hub for $70. Good wheel? Good Price? Thanks to all. Rick.

Depending on your size, you may want a more rugged wheel up front, too.
Couldn't hurt to have a pair of well-built 32-spoke wheels with
decent hubs. You may want more spokes if you're a big guy of if you
carry a lot of weight on your bike.

rs wrote:
> I have a Univega Hybrid w/ 700x32cc I cruise around town on. The original
> rims are Weinmann 519 and the rear broke a couple of spokes a few weeks ago
> and today did it again. Time for a more rugged wheel? What would be some
> recommendations in a wheel a step up from this one but not too expensive? One
> reputable LBS showed me this wheel with an double wall Alex DA19 rim and a
> Deore hub for $70. Good wheel? Good Price? Thanks to all. Rick.

Not a more durable wheel, a better wheel build. If the original wheel
were tensioned, trued, dished, rounded and stress relieved when new, it
would have been fine. If the wheel your LBS is showing you has not been
'prepped' as well, it will have the same problems. **** poor wheels
aren't just the expensive ones. Ask if somebody competent, a
wheelbuilder, will go thru the wheel, THEN it will be fine.

rs wrote:
> I have a Univega Hybrid w/ 700x32cc I cruise around town on. The original
> rims are Weinmann 519 and the rear broke a couple of spokes a few weeks ago
> and today did it again. Time for a more rugged wheel? What would be some
> recommendations in a wheel a step up from this one but not too expensive? One
> reputable LBS showed me this wheel with an double wall Alex DA19 rim and a
> Deore hub for $70. Good wheel? Good Price? Thanks to all. Rick.

There's nothing wrong with a Weinmann 519. Spokes almost always break
from fatigue, unless they have been nicked by the chain or are from a
bad batch. Fatigue typically is the result of the wheel being badly
built. It is possible to restore a badly built wheel by adjusting the
spoke tension (usually increasing it significantly) and "stress
relieving" the spokes. It is not hard to do this yourself -- it may be
hard to find a LBS that knows how. A few more spokes may break during
this process if they have fatigued close to failure.

To learn more, Google this NG, see the FAQ, Sheldon Brown's site, and/or
buy Jobst Brandt's book.

BTW, the wheel price quoted is OK, not great -- particularly not great
if not needed, which is almost certainly true.

Thanks to all for what seems like sound advise. I'm taking it to another LBS
that claims to be the wheel gurus and we'll see what they say. I've never
trued or worked on a wheel myself, though would like to be able to.

Rick

says...