Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

recommendation for new rear derailleur?

Started by Jim - st. Paul · · Last activity · 4 posts · 714 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 September 2004
Last activity
13 September 2004
Original author
Jim - st. Paul
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
714
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My girlfriend rides an older 1986 Lotus road bike, with a double crank and a 6 speed SunTour BL derailleur. The bike averages 600-1000 miles/year, mostly charity rides. It was her dad's bike, before his heart attack. I would like to find a new front/rear derailleur, stem shift replacement system to update the bike and could use some recommendations. I could not find a vintage BL new on a previous search.

    I have looked to a few mailorder catalogs, such as nashbar, but am unsure as to the quality or suitability, your assistance is appreciated!

  2. I'd recommend going to a couple of local bike shops and seeing what they might have tucked away in a box somewhere. Bring the parts you're trying to replace with you.

  3. Jim - st. Paul said:

    My girlfriend rides an older 1986 Lotus road bike, with a double crank and a 6 speed SunTour BL derailleur. The bike averages 600-1000 miles/year, mostly charity rides. It was her dad's bike, before his heart attack. I would like to find a new front/rear derailleur, stem shift replacement system to update the bike and could use some recommendations. I could not find a vintage BL new on a previous search.

    I have looked to a few mailorder catalogs, such as nashbar, but am unsure as to the quality or suitability, your assistance is appreciated!


    BL was close to bottom of the barrel. Any current shimano road front and rear derailer will replace it and not lack for quality.That assumes your current shifters are friction and not index....Do you mean you want to replace/get rid of the stem shifters, with something like downtube index?....I got a brand new BL for $25 shipped if interested.

  4. boudreaux said:

    BL was close to bottom of the barrel. Any current shimano road front and rear derailer will replace it and not lack for quality.That assumes your current shifters are friction and not index....Do you mean you want to replace/get rid of the stem shifters, with something like downtube index?....I got a brand new BL for $25 shipped if interested.


    Hello, the current shifters are friction, are downtube mounted, but a downtube index would be best, she has a tendency to chatter the gears. I would be interested in a newer Shimano, I was looking for a 6/7 speed Shimano, but was unsure as of a shift package, Thanks

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.