Recommendation for new road bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chris Walters, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. I've been riding offroad for a while now (and used to ride a road bike some 15 years ago), and I'm
    starting to be inspired to do some commuting by bike (12 miles each direction, country roads mainly)
    and covering some longer distance rides (up to say 3 hours) on the road.

    I don't want to spend in excess of UKP500, and would like some recommendations for potential
    candidates. Also, to complicate matters somewhat, I had a look at a Dawes Discovery 701 (flat bar,
    non-compact geometry) and rather like the look and value.

    BTW I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 105 kg, 33" inseam.,

    So some questions, if you'll indulge me:
    1) What would you buy in my position?
    2) Seen any good deals that might bring a better bike into my price bracket?
    3) Do you think that in the long run I'd regret getting a flat bar rather than a drop bar?

    Many thanks and seasons greetings to all.

    Cheers, Chris

    Chris Walters Hungerford, UK

  2. Bikingbill

    Bikingbill Guest

    500 quid should be plenty. Allow some of your budget for essential 'accessories' such as good
    lights, full length mudguards, rack, panniers, spare tube, decent locks etc. For commuting you want
    something solid and reliable. At risk of re-opening an old debate I use an all-steel set-up with
    fatter tyres than I'd choose for pure speed. A trouble-free journey is worth more than going a wee
    bit faster. QR hubs are worth having (remember to secure both wheels) but not a QR saddle unless you
    intend to remove it when you park. Depending on where you'll park your bike, an unattractive looking
    machine may be a better choice. I use drops for commuting but that's more a personal choice than a
    recommendation. HTH, Bill

    Two wheels are cool but four's a bore.

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Chris Walters wrote:

    > 1) What would you buy in my position?

    Go for a proper road bike.

    > 2) Seen any good deals that might bring a better bike into my price bracket?

    In last week's Cycling Weekly there was a road bike advertised in one of the bike shop ads in the
    back. I remember it seemed to have a remarkably good spec for the price (sub £500 I think). I
    left the mag in the bathroom while the kids were in there splashing about and it turned to papier
    mache so I binned it. Check this weeks' as the same advertisers take more or less the same ads
    out each week.

    > 3) Do you think that in the long run I'd regret getting a flat bar rather than a drop bar?

    Well I did, and the conversion is expensive! New brakes, bars and shifters.

    -- Simonb

  4. Richard M

    Richard M Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:22:20 -0000, "Chris Walters"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I don't want to spend in excess of UKP500, and would like some recommendations for potential
    >candidates.

    Have a look at http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/bargainsorbit.shtml and click on the clearance items
    for a list of their bikes that are cheaper. Someone from there appears to be selling some brand new
    Orbits a little less than their clearance prices on Ebay as well. Also try looking at Thorn
    http://www.sjscycles.com/ and Evans http://www.evanscycles.com/ To get an idea of what size is right
    for you, requires you to actually try sitting on some bikes and getting a feel for what is
    comfortable. Remember that top tube length is important as well as the seat tube length.

    >1) What would you buy in my position?

    Something with a steel frame. Pure, blind prejudice rears it's ugly head again.

    >3) Do you think that in the long run I'd regret getting a flat bar rather than a drop bar?

    Yup. I find the drops put my hands in a more natural position. But this is a very much personal
    choice on what YOU find comfortable.

    > Chris Walters
    > Hungerford, UK

    If that is Hungerford in Berkshire have a look at http://www.awcycles.co.uk/index.php they are based
    in Reading and have been recommended in these pages before.

    Good luck Richard

    Please remove THIS if replying

  5. On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:31:00 +0100,
    bikingbill<[email protected]> wrote:

    >500 quid should be plenty. Allow some of your budget for essential 'accessories' such as good
    >lights, full length mudguards, rack, panniers, spare tube, decent locks etc.

    It may be nice to have but not essential (except the lights). My commute-bike (which is also my off-
    road bike and my road bike as I have only one) have none of these items except good lights. BTW, my
    commute is 9 miles each way, year round, regardless of weather.