Recommendation for reproofing jackets (Berghaus Aquafoil), please

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jamie Collins, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. My Berghaus Aquafoil waterproof jacket needs reproofing. From the
    (pleasant) smell, I suspect it has been washed in detergent :(

    Are the wash-in or spray-on reproofers likely to rescue the situation?

    Alternatively, does anyone know of a mail order reproofing service and
    estimated costs?

    Many thanks,
    Jamie.

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jamie Collins wrote:
    > My Berghaus Aquafoil waterproof jacket needs reproofing. From the
    > (pleasant) smell, I suspect it has been washed in detergent :(
    >
    > Are the wash-in or spray-on reproofers likely to rescue the situation?

    It depends what the situation really is. The proofing agents generally
    applied and reapplied to jackets are not the formal waterproof barriers,
    they simply encourage water to bead up and run off the outer
    (non-waterproof) fabric of the jacket so vapour can be passed through
    the waterproof layer (the "breathing").

    if the jacket is leaking water from the outside (to check this, lay the
    suspected leak area over a bucket and pool water over the area, if it
    starts dripping through then it's leaking) then it's had it. If,
    however, the jacket is "wetting out" (the outside jacket quickly becomes
    completely saturated in rain) then that will effectively stop it
    "breathing" and you'll get wet inside from condensation. If this is the
    problem then wash-in or spray-on reproofers should probably help. Start
    by washing the coat in a pure soap (Nikwax Tech Wash or Grangers Extreme
    Clean are the Usual Suspects, but as long as it's pure soap that'll do)
    and then afterwards apply the proofing as directed on the can.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Chris Oates

    Chris Oates Guest

    "Jamie Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My Berghaus Aquafoil waterproof jacket needs reproofing. From the
    > (pleasant) smell, I suspect it has been washed in detergent :(
    >
    > Are the wash-in or spray-on reproofers likely to rescue the situation?

    I've re-proofed my Helly hanson goretex with Nikwax - works fine and
    has added a silky feel to the fabric.
    Went mad and proofed gloves, fleeces, jackets - all very effective.
    If you use a washing machine to do the proofing it's CRITICAL
    that you remove the soap tray, clean out all the detergent residue
    inside the machine and use some rinse cycles to wash it all away
    ......if you don't the proofing will fail.
    Alternatively you can do it by hand in a bowl.

  4. John Yale

    John Yale Guest

    "Jamie Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > My Berghaus Aquafoil waterproof jacket needs reproofing. From the
    > (pleasant) smell, I suspect it has been washed in detergent :(
    >
    > Are the wash-in or spray-on reproofers likely to rescue the situation?

    I asked Nikwax a similar question about my jacket, mainly because I was not
    sure if I should use wash-in or spray-on because it has a net/nylon lining.
    However the answer I got was:

    "As you Berghaus Aquafoil jacket has a PU coating which is not Gore-tex, we
    recommend using the TX Direct Spray-on. You could try the wash-in TX Direct
    which is easier to use, but the water repellency may not be as good."

    So far I have just washed it and as it still seems fairly water repelant I
    have left it at that.

    John

  5. dave

    dave Guest

    Did anyone else read the reproofing report in this months Trail mag?

    Bloody hell !!!!!

    What an expensive con.

    "Chris Oates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Jamie Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> My Berghaus Aquafoil waterproof jacket needs reproofing. From the
    >> (pleasant) smell, I suspect it has been washed in detergent :(
    >>
    >> Are the wash-in or spray-on reproofers likely to rescue the situation?

    > I've re-proofed my Helly hanson goretex with Nikwax - works fine and
    > has added a silky feel to the fabric.
    > Went mad and proofed gloves, fleeces, jackets - all very effective.
    > If you use a washing machine to do the proofing it's CRITICAL
    > that you remove the soap tray, clean out all the detergent residue
    > inside the machine and use some rinse cycles to wash it all away
    > .....if you don't the proofing will fail.
    > Alternatively you can do it by hand in a bowl.

  6. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
    wonderful person dave <[email protected]> said
    >Did anyone else read the reproofing report in this months Trail mag?

    No.

    >Bloody hell !!!!!
    >
    >What an expensive con.

    So what's the ten cent summary??

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Google may be your friend, but groups.google.com posters definitely aren't.