Recommendation on shoe covers?

Mark H.

Guest
Hi, all!

How to choose a good shoe cover?

I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?

The technology looks the same, is it? Does it just boil down to cosmetic
features? Those are six of one, half dozen of another, AFAICT.

All opinions welcome.

T.I.A.,
Mark

Mark H. wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> How to choose a good shoe cover?
>
> I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
> Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?
>
> The technology looks the same, is it? Does it just boil down to cosmetic
> features? Those are six of one, half dozen of another, AFAICT.
>
> All opinions welcome.
>
> T.I.A.,
> Mark

I was born with cold feet..... thusly I have tried lots of shoe covers
I went through a couple of pairs of neoprene, they suck... A little
water and they turn into mini air conditioners. Not good when you want a
heater.

My favorite is Castelli. They actually kept my feet warm, except for the
time I got frostbite..... Problem with old Castelli and others is the
zipper. Zippers get trashed, no workee, I get mad..... Castelli is big
bucks though.

I recently picked up a couple of different pairs of booties, (windtex)
Nashbar is fair, and cheap. Zipper though.....

The other is a pair of Louis Garneaus, $20 jensonusa. I have high hopes
for these guys, rubber toe, velcro enclosure, big opening in the bottom
for road or MTB shoes. OK haven't actually ridden in them, but based
upon experience, their design looks good.

Mark H. wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> How to choose a good shoe cover?
>
> I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
> Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?
>
> The technology looks the same, is it? Does it just boil down to cosmetic
> features? Those are six of one, half dozen of another, AFAICT.
>
> All opinions welcome.

Got a pair a little over a year ago, nominally SIDI's, but possibly made
by someone else. Velcro back and velcro bottom strap. One of the best
things I ever got, I used to have problems with cold feet and other
types of toe warmers, booties, etc.

My *guess* is that beyond fit, there should be few differences. Mine
have a slightly fuzzy interior, ?Is all windtex like that?

When it's really cold, I put neoprene toecaps under the Windtex booties,
and it's really nice and warm.

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:46:38 -0800, Mark Janeba
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark H. wrote:
>> Hi, all!
>>
>> How to choose a good shoe cover?
>>
>> I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
>> Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?
>>
>> The technology looks the same, is it? Does it just boil down to cosmetic
>> features? Those are six of one, half dozen of another, AFAICT.
>>
>> All opinions welcome.

>Got a pair a little over a year ago, nominally SIDI's, but possibly made
>by someone else. Velcro back and velcro bottom strap. One of the best
>things I ever got, I used to have problems with cold feet and other
>types of toe warmers, booties, etc.
>
>My *guess* is that beyond fit, there should be few differences. Mine
>have a slightly fuzzy interior, ?Is all windtex like that?

Fit is really important, especially fit around the top of the bootie.
It needs to be tight up there if there is any possiblity of wet roads
or water coming down your legs, though if it's not wearing your tights
or leg warmers over the top can help. If there is a zipper back,
having a little velcro tab on the top can help with a certain amount
of adjustment.

If you'll be stopping often, or putting a foot down at lights, then a
cutout at the heel for the heel of the shoe to touch the ground is
good; if you won't be doing that then that feature is not so useful or
maybe even unhelpful.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Mark H. wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> How to choose a good shoe cover?
>
> I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
> Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?
>
> The technology looks the same, is it? Does it just boil down to cosmetic
> features? Those are six of one, half dozen of another, AFAICT.
>
> All opinions welcome.
>
> T.I.A.,
> Mark

Check out velowear.com for their shoecovers. Reasonably priced and
work pretty well. Might not handle the harshest of conditions, but
they certainly handle anything I'll ride in. I've never used anything
heavier than a lightweight wool sock with them, and they've always
handled any weather conditions that I'd ride in.

crossnutz wrote:
> Zippers get trashed, no workee, I get mad.

Interesting. I've been riding the same Zumi booties since 1993. The
soles have finally worn through enough that I'm going to need to
replace them. They have zippers, and have held up just great.

I was actually disappointed to see how many of them use velcro, because
velcro has a finite number of use cycles before the hooks dull and the
loops all get pulled out. Actually, the velcro reflectors at the tops
of the zippers on my Zumis just flop around because they wore out.

The zippers work like they did when they were new. Big meaty YKKs.

I'll be buying a new pair of Zumi Amphibs.

-Mike

Mark H. wrote:
---snip---
> I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
> Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?

---/snip---

I've been running with a set of the coated PI booties (designed for
time trials and the like) - 20 bones at REI (can't recall if they were
on sale or not). They fit a bit snug, and one of 'em has a big rip
from getting caught on the chainring during an abortive attempt at a
trackstand, but they do a great job of blocking the wind - great down
to about 40 degrees or so.

SYJ

On 8 Feb 2006 13:52:17 -0800, "SYJ" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've been running with a set of the coated PI booties (designed for
>time trials and the like) - 20 bones at REI (can't recall if they were
>on sale or not). They fit a bit snug, and one of 'em has a big rip
>from getting caught on the chainring during an abortive attempt at a
>trackstand, but they do a great job of blocking the wind - great down
>to about 40 degrees or so.

40 degrees?? Not trying to sound macho or anything, but I don't mess
with toe covers above 30 degrees!

That reminds me -- it's supposed to be in the low 20s day after
tomorrow. Guess I need to go look for the little buggers -- I haven't
needed them since December.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Patrick Lamb wrote:
---snip--

> 40 degrees?? Not trying to sound macho or anything, but I don't mess
> with toe covers above 30 degrees!

---/snip---

Fall/Spring rides in the 40's are usually accompanied by road spray in
my neck o'the woods (the Wasatch back)...wet feet = cold feet. And
last July/August when the only time I could hit the road was around
6:00 AM, the average temperature was about 42 - pretty dang cold when
juxtaposed against the 80-90 afternoon temps.

And in closing, I'm a wuss.

SYJ

"SYJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Patrick Lamb wrote:
> ---snip--
> >
> > 40 degrees?? Not trying to sound macho or anything, but I

don't mess
> > with toe covers above 30 degrees!

> ---/snip---
>
> Fall/Spring rides in the 40's are usually accompanied by road

spray in
> my neck o'the woods (the Wasatch back)...wet feet = cold feet.

And
> last July/August when the only time I could hit the road was

around
> 6:00 AM, the average temperature was about 42 - pretty dang

cold when
> juxtaposed against the 80-90 afternoon temps.
>
> And in closing, I'm a wuss.

If you want a real rain booty, try the Sugoi. If you are looking
for something with water resistance and warmth, you can use any
of the neoprene booties. I like the design of the Descente, but
there are many that will do the trick. I was using the
Performance cheap-o booties until I blew out the zippers pulling
them over my jumbo MTB shoes. I broke down and spent a lot on
the Sugoi booties, which worked just fine through basically six
weeks of non-stop pouring rain. Booties have gotten ungodly
expensive for a relatively simple item. For anyone who cares, it
stopped raining last weekend and is spectacularly clear and sunny
here in PDX (although too windy -- you always pay some price for
nice weather during winter). -- Jay Beattie.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Hi, all!
>How to choose a good shoe cover?
>I'm looking at getting one of the Windtex versions (full shoe, no neoprene).
>Anyone have any experiences with one brand over another?
>The technology looks the same, is it? Does it just boil down to cosmetic
>features? Those are six of one, half dozen of another, AFAICT.

I have some Pearl Izumis. Kind of a pain to squeeze on and off. Otherwise
they are fine.
---------------
Alex

Thanks, all, the info was helpful and useful.

There hadn't been much to be found on an archive search of the NGs.
Sometimes it's good to get a few testimonials, some affirmation of what one
has already devined, and/or some new things to consider.

I ordered a pair from Boure'.

This is a good NG - plenty of good folks - generally sound advice, opinions,
discussions.

Thanks again for your consideration.

Mark