Recommendation: PT wheel for Crits

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by pelotoncamden, Nov 17, 2007.

1. pelotoncamden

pelotoncamden New Member

Looking to get a non-carbon wheelset with PowerTap hub for crit use only. No preference on tubular or clincher. Any recommendations and why of course, would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. strader

strader New Member

You might want to check out this thread:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t433398.html
    I just ordered a set of Niobium rims with speedcific front hub and Sapim spokes from Mike Garcia at oddsandendos. Lots of people recommended this setup on this forum and others. Once I get the wheel set I'll post a follow-up to the above thread.
    There are lots of prebuilt wheels available online with the DT 1.1 rim and Mavic open pros, but these are overbuilt with 32 spokes.

3. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

Zipp 417 rim with PT ...great trainning wheel or for Crits

4. Uhl

Uhl New Member

I'd like to hear your follow-up on your Niobiums. I've had a problem with noise from my XR300's (aka Niobium 30) built up on a 24-hole PowerTap SL. There's a slight "tinging" sound, that comes from the nipple rim interface when the spokes load and release tension. It only happens in certain circumstances and isn't that loud, but it's annoying for an anal-retetive person like myself. I hate it when my bike makes any noise other than the hum of the tires on the pavement. :D

Dave Thomas of Speedream built it for me and I even sent it back so he could rebuild it with brass "washers" between the aluminum nipples. Dave thought it would remedy the problem, but it didn't. Fortunately, my wife isn't bugged by the noise so the wheel is now on her bike.

Just curious if other people have this problem.

Here's my wheel:
    http://www.uhlalbert.com/couple/2007/04/power_upgrade.html

5. strader

strader New Member

Mike recommended using brass nipples on the drive side of the hub. Could have something to do with it?

6. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Any deep clincher. Deeper the better. Clincher for rolling resistance (latex tube, good tire), cost (cheaper) and ease of use (no gluing).

Cheap: velocity deep V, etc.

Good: X-treme Matrix/Blade, LEW, Zipp (they break sometimes), HED (heavier but cheaper and good aero), Corima, etc. I prefer alloy braking surface because it saves screwing with pads and brakes better in the wet. YMMV

7. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Sorry missed non-carbon.

Velocity deep V... or HED JET 60/90 (only the faring is carbon - strucurally alloy)