recommendation to buy touring wheels via post

davy

Guest
Dear All,

I need a recommendation of where to buy a set of touring wheel via
post. 130OLN Shimano Hub + decent-ish 700c touring rim taking 28mm
tyre. (>28mm tyre is not necassary )

I don't know a decent shop in my area so an on-line recommendation
would be useful.

thanks for any on-line pointers. ( Not SJS, once bitten , twice shy)

thanks

Robin

On 5 Mar, 15:26, davy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need a recommendation of where to buy a set of touring wheel via
> post.   130OLN Shimano Hub + decent-ish 700c touring rim taking 28mm
> tyre. (>28mm tyre is not necassary )
>
> I don't know a decent shop in my area so an on-line recommendation
> would be useful.
>
> thanks for any on-line pointers. ( Not SJS, once bitten , twice shy)

I had to buy a front wheel for my wife's bike recently, so I went for
the Deore hub + Mavic Open Pro from SJS.
Curious as to why have you rejected them... I know they're often not
the cheapest, but I've never had any problem with quality or speed of
shipment.
The wheel was packed very well, loads of pipe lagging round the rim,
worth the fiver for P+P IMHO.

On Mar 5, 3:26 pm, davy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need a recommendation of where to buy a set of touring wheel via
> post. 130OLN Shimano Hub + decent-ish 700c touring rim taking 28mm
> tyre. (>28mm tyre is not necassary )
>
> I don't know a decent shop in my area so an on-line recommendation
> would be useful.
>
> thanks for any on-line pointers. ( Not SJS, once bitten , twice shy)

yeah, I know, this is the second one but my MA3 on HB-NX30 front wheel
from the bandits stayed absolutely straight for as long as it took me
to wear out the rim whereas my back wheel from Condor (MA3 on Tiagra,
from stock, but, I presume, built by them) hasn't

best wishes
james

davy said the following on 05/03/2008 15:26:

> thanks for any on-line pointers. ( Not SJS, once bitten , twice shy)

Hmm... Both wheels on my tourer are SJS because they do make good
wheels despite some of the company's quirks, and until I spotted your
comment it is who I would have suggested.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Mike K Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On 5 Mar, 15:26, davy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need a recommendation of where to buy a set of touring wheel via
> post. 130OLN Shimano Hub + decent-ish 700c touring rim taking 28mm
> tyre. (>28mm tyre is not necassary )
>
> I don't know a decent shop in my area so an on-line recommendation
> would be useful.
>
> thanks for any on-line pointers. ( Not SJS, once bitten , twice shy)

I had to buy a front wheel for my wife's bike recently, so I went for
the Deore hub + Mavic Open Pro from SJS.
Curious as to why have you rejected them... I know they're often not
the cheapest, but I've never had any problem with quality or speed of
shipment.
The wheel was packed very well, loads of pipe lagging round the rim,
worth the fiver for P+P IMHO.

It's not what you mention. It's poor customer service.

Ken.

davy wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I need a recommendation of where to buy a set of touring wheel via
> post. 130OLN Shimano Hub + decent-ish 700c touring rim taking 28mm
> tyre. (>28mm tyre is not necassary )
>
> I don't know a decent shop in my area so an on-line recommendation
> would be useful.
>
> thanks for any on-line pointers. ( Not SJS, once bitten , twice shy)

Spa Cycles have a reasonable range of touring wheels.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

I've no experience of their wheels, but I've bought a few other things
from them without problem, and I think they have a decent reputation for
wheels.

Craig

> Paul Hewitt seconded - gave very good advice on component choice when
> speccing (and not in the higher cost direction either) the wheels I
> wanted, wheels perfect until I wore out the rims.
>
> bookieb

Paul Hewitt thirded (is there such a word?). Just give him a ring and
discuss your requirements. He really is one of the top wheel builders in the
UK.

Praethon