Recommendations for a good rain jacket

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Travis, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
    yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
    rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
    Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

    I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
    H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
    recommendations?

    Travis

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Travis wrote:
    > I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
    > yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
    > rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
    > Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

    I use a $25 clear plastic shell with mesh venting on the side. I have
    a goretex jacket I wear in mid-winter if it's really awful. The
    plastic jacket is usually just fine, and for $25 .... some LBS's will
    sell them. As it's clear, the colour of my jersey is bright enough.

  3. jim

    jim Guest

    Hmmm - re the Netti options I suggest that you buy a kodiak bear-skin suit
    instead. I hear they are slightly cooler and less bulky.

    This is one item that it is really worth selling-the-farm for. Assos do an
    ok one if you can be parted from half a squillion - elsewise look for
    something constructed from a material called pertec (from memory)

    "Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
    > yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
    > rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
    > Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.
    >
    > I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
    > H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > Travis

  4. smartie

    smartie New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2005
    Goldcross has a sale on rain jackets at the minute. They have a particularly nice Castelli one for a bundle off. Bought one last year on sale last year and can recommend it.

    www.goldcross.com.au

    Goretex for under $150. mmmm........

  5. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    But I see they have not discounted the XL and XXL sizes. That must be some form of discrimination against fat bastards (like me).:rolleyes:

    SteveA

  6. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Have a look-see across the Tasman at Ground Effect: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products.php?category=RAI

    Nice stuff - I've got a Flash Gordon which is fantastic for Melbourne's uncertain weather, and handles most weather fairly well. Not water-'proof' but 'resistant', which I find works fine.