Recommendations for a good rain jacket

Travis

Guest
I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
recommendations?

Travis

Travis wrote:
> I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
> yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
> rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
> Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

I use a $25 clear plastic shell with mesh venting on the side. I have
a goretex jacket I wear in mid-winter if it's really awful. The
plastic jacket is usually just fine, and for $25 .... some LBS's will
sell them. As it's clear, the colour of my jersey is bright enough.

Hmmm - re the Netti options I suggest that you buy a kodiak bear-skin suit
instead. I hear they are slightly cooler and less bulky.

This is one item that it is really worth selling-the-farm for. Assos do an
ok one if you can be parted from half a squillion - elsewise look for
something constructed from a material called pertec (from memory)

news:[email protected]...

jim said:
Hmmm - re the Netti options I suggest that you buy a kodiak bear-skin suit
instead. I hear they are slightly cooler and less bulky.

This is one item that it is really worth selling-the-farm for. Assos do an
ok one if you can be parted from half a squillion - elsewise look for
something constructed from a material called pertec (from memory)

"Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
> yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
> rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
> Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.
>
> I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
> H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
> recommendations?
>
> Travis

Goldcross has a sale on rain jackets at the minute. They have a particularly nice Castelli one for a bundle off. Bought one last year on sale last year and can recommend it.

www.goldcross.com.au

Goretex for under $150. mmmm........

smartie said:
Goldcross has a sale on rain jackets at the minute. They have a particularly nice Castelli one for a bundle off. Bought one last year on sale last year and can recommend it.

www.goldcross.com.au

Goretex for under $150. mmmm........
But I see they have not discounted the XL and XXL sizes. That must be some form of discrimination against fat bastards (like me).:rolleyes:

SteveA

Have a look-see across the Tasman at Ground Effect: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products.php?category=RAI

Nice stuff - I've got a Flash Gordon which is fantastic for Melbourne's uncertain weather, and handles most weather fairly well. Not water-'proof' but 'resistant', which I find works fine.