Recommendations for a good rain jacket

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Travis, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
    yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
    rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
    Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

    I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
    H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
    recommendations?

    Travis
     
    Tags:


  2. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 04:24:44 -0800, Travis wrote:

    > I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
    > yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
    > rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
    > Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.
    >
    > I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
    > H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
    > recommendations?


    I bought one of the high-end netti rain jackets, only to realise
    - once under tour - that the bloody thing didn't have a hood.
    Chalk one up to my own stupidity. To be honest I don't know
    that even with a hood, that the >$150 jacket performed significantly
    better than the $40 fluro orange (netti) jacket.

    Goretex/Footex just doesn't breathe enough to vent a cyclists sweat.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions
     
  3. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    0
    I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap - easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to, you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into the carry bag when no longer needed.

    http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

    I think it came in a version with a short zip as well.

    cheers,
    ali
     
  4. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    Messages:
    564
    Likes Received:
    0
    PHP:
    PHP:
    Rain jacket? What's a rain jacket?

    Qld - beuatiful one day, cyclonic the next

    cheers,
    Monster(wont take his steel bike out in the rain)man
     
  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're
    > looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it
    > just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap
    > - easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes
    > well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to,
    > you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that
    > water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into
    > the carry bag when no longer needed.
    >
    > http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7


    Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?

    Is it good to protect the cold as well?

    --
    TimC
    Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.
    -- Robert Firth
     
  6. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    0
    I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!

    I am pretty sure it was around $140-150. Much more than I would usually spend, but it has been excellent - and because it is so handy it actually gets used more.

    And yes, it does pretty well in the wind - not as much as say a wind vest, but warm enough for descending in the rain without feeling frozen (and I am an awful sook in the cold).

    cheers,
    ali
     
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    [OT]

    > Rain jacket? What's a rain jacket?
    >
    > Qld - beuatiful one day, cyclonic the next
    >
    > cheers,
    > Monster(wont take his steel bike out in the rain)man


    I'd be more concerned about the drivetrain than the frame. Cr-Mo
    doesn't rust that badly. My old frame (turns 32 this year) was
    neglected for a lot of its life, and I rode it in all conditions and
    dried it afterwards. Even where the paint was missing, it didn't
    corrode.

    The nickel plated chain on the other hand...ech. Time for a stainless
    one perhaps?

    [/OT]

    And(steel? real!)rew.
     
  8. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Messages:
    430
    Likes Received:
    1
    Gold resists corrosion a treat.
     
  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
    > was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >
    >>I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're
    >>looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it
    >>just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap
    >>- easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes
    >>well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to,
    >>you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that
    >>water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into
    >>the carry bag when no longer needed.
    >>
    >>http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

    >
    >
    > Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?
    >
    > Is it good to protect the cold as well?
    >

    Tim,

    Sally and Alan have them. They are excellent. Available from
    http://www.outdoors.com.au/ We had these fellows at a MBTC meeting a
    little over a year ago, they are pretty switched on.

    Regards,

    Alan.
     
  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-03-27, Alan (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > TimC wrote:
    >> On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >>>http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

    >>
    >> Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?
    >>
    >> Is it good to protect the cold as well?

    > Tim,
    >
    > Sally and Alan have them. They are excellent. Available from
    > http://www.outdoors.com.au/ We had these fellows at a MBTC meeting a
    > little over a year ago, they are pretty switched on.


    Yep, I liked them when I saw them at MBTC, but couldn't afford them,
    definitely can't afford them now :(

    I was wondering whether they were the same mob.

    --
    TimC
    The path to enlightenment_0.16.5-6 is through apt-get
     
  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Travis wrote:
    >
    > I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
    > yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
    > rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
    > Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.
    >
    > I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
    > H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > Travis


    Move to Brisbane.

    The rain is warm enough in winter to just wear a vest, and it keeps you
    cool in summer.

    Tam
     
  12. Euan

    Euan Guest

    alison_b wrote:
    > I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for
    > something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just
    > died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!


    SHM's in QV so probably. I've only recently been turned on to SHM.
    Danger danger danger, bling bling bling. Five minutes walk from work,
    nice staff, female roadie type for the women looking for the
    non-condescending male approach, carries Jaggad clothing (fast becoming
    my favourite brand).

    Behind me SHM, get behind me! I've a mortgage to put before my bike habit!
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)
     
  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-03-27, Euan (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > alison_b wrote:
    >> I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for
    >> something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just
    >> died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!

    >
    > SHM's in QV so probably. I've only recently been turned on to SHM.
    > Danger danger danger, bling bling bling. Five minutes walk from work,
    > nice staff, female roadie type for the women looking for the
    > non-condescending male approach, carries Jaggad clothing (fast becoming
    > my favourite brand).
    >
    > Behind me SHM, get behind me! I've a mortgage to put before my bike habit!


    Working (very part time) in the CBD is interesting. 1 minute walk
    from SHM (not been there yet), and 1 minute walk from Bennett's Lane.
    *bliss*!

    --
    TimC
    A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.
     
  14. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Move to Brisbane.
    >
    > The rain is warm enough in winter to just wear a vest, and it keeps you
    > cool in summer.



    SShhhh Tam and Monsterman. Either they'll get really pissed off at us,
    or move here! Either way, not good.

    BTW, did you see the cricket score? Hehehehe. We shouldn't have
    declared.

    Donga
     
  15. jim

    jim Guest

    Beware. My personal experience of SHM is not good - brought two mid-range
    bikes from there for a total of approx $7K and did not get the level of
    after purchase service I would have anticipated.

    I gave them the benefit of the doubt first time. But no change second time
    around.



    "Euan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > alison_b wrote:
    >> I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for
    >> something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just
    >> died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!

    >
    > SHM's in QV so probably. I've only recently been turned on to SHM. Danger
    > danger danger, bling bling bling. Five minutes walk from work, nice
    > staff, female roadie type for the women looking for the non-condescending
    > male approach, carries Jaggad clothing (fast becoming my favourite brand).
    >
    > Behind me SHM, get behind me! I've a mortgage to put before my bike
    > habit!
    > --
    > Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    > Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    > Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)
     
Loading...
Loading...