Recommendations for a good rain jacket

Travis

Guest
I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
recommendations?

Travis

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 04:24:44 -0800, Travis wrote:

> I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
> yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
> rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
> Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.
>
> I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
> H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
> recommendations?

I bought one of the high-end netti rain jackets, only to realise
- once under tour - that the bloody thing didn't have a hood.
Chalk one up to my own stupidity. To be honest I don't know
that even with a hood, that the >$150 jacket performed significantly
better than the $40 fluro orange (netti) jacket.

Goretex/Footex just doesn't breathe enough to vent a cyclists sweat.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: [email protected])

Travis said:
I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
recommendations?

Travis
I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap - easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to, you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into the carry bag when no longer needed.

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

I think it came in a version with a short zip as well.

cheers,
ali

PHP:
Travis said:
I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.

I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
recommendations?

Travis
PHP:

Rain jacket? What's a rain jacket?

Qld - beuatiful one day, cyclonic the next

cheers,
Monster(wont take his steel bike out in the rain)man

On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
> I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're
> looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it
> just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap
> - easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes
> well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to,
> you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that
> water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into
> the carry bag when no longer needed.
>
> http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?

Is it good to protect the cold as well?

--
TimC
Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.

On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
> I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're
> looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it
> just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap
> - easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes
> well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to,
> you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that
> water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into
> the carry bag when no longer needed.
>
> http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?

Is it good to protect the cold as well?
I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!

I am pretty sure it was around $140-150. Much more than I would usually spend, but it has been excellent - and because it is so handy it actually gets used more.

And yes, it does pretty well in the wind - not as much as say a wind vest, but warm enough for descending in the rain without feeling frozen (and I am an awful sook in the cold).

cheers,
ali

[OT]

> Rain jacket? What's a rain jacket?
>
> Qld - beuatiful one day, cyclonic the next
>
> cheers,
> Monster(wont take his steel bike out in the rain)man

I'd be more concerned about the drivetrain than the frame. Cr-Mo
doesn't rust that badly. My old frame (turns 32 this year) was
neglected for a lot of its life, and I rode it in all conditions and
dried it afterwards. Even where the paint was missing, it didn't
corrode.

The nickel plated chain on the other hand...ech. Time for a stainless
one perhaps?

[/OT]

And(steel? real!)rew.

Andrew said:
[OT]

> Rain jacket? What's a rain jacket?
>
> Qld - beuatiful one day, cyclonic the next
>
> cheers,
> Monster(wont take his steel bike out in the rain)man

I'd be more concerned about the drivetrain than the frame. Cr-Mo
doesn't rust that badly. My old frame (turns 32 this year) was
neglected for a lot of its life, and I rode it in all conditions and
dried it afterwards. Even where the paint was missing, it didn't
corrode.

The nickel plated chain on the other hand...ech. Time for a stainless
one perhaps?

[/OT]

And(steel? real!)rew.

Gold resists corrosion a treat.

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
>
>>I love my Montane jacket. From memory it was about the price you're
>>looking for, weighs next to nothing (has a little netting bag that it
>>just stuffs into, about the size of a tennis ball, with a velcro strap
>>- easily fits into a jersey pocket or wrap it onto the frame), breathes
>>well, and does a top job of keeping the rain off. And, if you need to,
>>you can gather up the edges and carry water in it! It really is that
>>water proof. Oh, and it just shakes dry and can be stuffed back into
>>the carry bag when no longer needed.
>>
>>http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

> Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?
>
> Is it good to protect the cold as well?

Tim,

Sally and Alan have them. They are excellent. Available from
http://www.outdoors.com.au/ We had these fellows at a MBTC meeting a
little over a year ago, they are pretty switched on.

Regards,

Alan.

On 2006-03-27, Alan (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2006-03-26, alison_b (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>>http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=42&rid=7

>> Did you get it in australia? Where from, and how much?
>>
>> Is it good to protect the cold as well?

> Tim,
>
> Sally and Alan have them. They are excellent. Available from
> http://www.outdoors.com.au/ We had these fellows at a MBTC meeting a
> little over a year ago, they are pretty switched on.

Yep, I liked them when I saw them at MBTC, but couldn't afford them,
definitely can't afford them now :(

I was wondering whether they were the same mob.

--
TimC
The path to enlightenment_0.16.5-6 is through apt-get

Travis wrote:

> I'm shopping around for a decent rain jacket. I want it in bright
> yellow and want one that breathes quite well, is comfortable, keeps the
> rain off and ideally folds up into a small bundle when not in use.
> Budget is $140 or less, preferably much less if the quality is ok.
>
> I've looked at various jackets like the Netti Storm jacket and Netti
> H2. There are quite a few others out there though. Any
> recommendations?
>
> Travis

Move to Brisbane.

The rain is warm enough in winter to just wear a vest, and it keeps you
cool in summer.

Tam

alison_b wrote:
> I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for
> something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just
> died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!

SHM's in QV so probably. I've only recently been turned on to SHM.
Danger danger danger, bling bling bling. Five minutes walk from work,
nice staff, female roadie type for the women looking for the
non-condescending male approach, carries Jaggad clothing (fast becoming
my favourite brand).

Behind me SHM, get behind me! I've a mortgage to put before my bike habit!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

On 2006-03-27, Euan (aka Bruce)
> alison_b wrote:
>> I did, yes... went into the bike shop in QV (is it SHM?) looking for
>> something else (from memory a fitting to replace the one that had just
>> died on my rear light) and fell in love with it!

> SHM's in QV so probably. I've only recently been turned on to SHM.
> Danger danger danger, bling bling bling. Five minutes walk from work,
> nice staff, female roadie type for the women looking for the
> non-condescending male approach, carries Jaggad clothing (fast becoming
> my favourite brand).
>
> Behind me SHM, get behind me! I've a mortgage to put before my bike habit!

Working (very part time) in the CBD is interesting. 1 minute walk
from SHM (not been there yet), and 1 minute walk from Bennett's Lane.
*bliss*!

--
TimC
A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Move to Brisbane.
>
> The rain is warm enough in winter to just wear a vest, and it keeps you
> cool in summer.

SShhhh Tam and Monsterman. Either they'll get really ****** off at us,
or move here! Either way, not good.

BTW, did you see the cricket score? Hehehehe. We shouldn't have
declared.

Donga

Beware. My personal experience of SHM is not good - brought two mid-range
bikes from there for a total of approx $7K and did not get the level of
after purchase service I would have anticipated.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt first time. But no change second time
around.

news:[email protected]...