Recommendations for a "pretty" bike...

RC2

May 21, 2004
First off, I know that sounds a bit stupid and I'd never purchase a bike based primarily on looks. But...

My wife wants to get in to road biking, and I took her to shop around. I was steering her toward a Felt F60 (105/ultegra, $1200ish, with carbon fiber fork and seat stays/aluminum frame). I'd like to stay in that price range and not go below a 105 groupo.

Anyway, she kept acting non-interested in what I was encouraging, and kept gravitating to the brightly-painted, $3k carbon fiber bikes each time. Later she commented in that she wanted a pretty (bright orange or green or yellow...) bike. I want her to be happy and started searching trek/cannondale/specialized/etc/etc and found dull paint jobs consistently in that price range (i.e. all white or all black).

So I have to ask the question - dumb or not :) - does anyone have a recommendation for a "pretty" bike for her???

Thx!
Rod

Since taking this picture, I've dropped the excess black spacers, replaced them with a jewel-like mini-stack of Cane Creek silver spacers and a matching topcap; it's pretty cool.

If she digs carbon, it's hard to beat a Calfee for lucious elegance.

Originally posted by lokstah
Since taking this picture, I've dropped the excess black spacers, replaced them with a jewel-like mini-stack of Cane Creek silver spacers and a matching topcap; it's pretty cool.

If she digs carbon, it's hard to beat a Calfee for lucious elegance.

My wife to be also requested a "red one" when asked what kind of racebike she wanted.
Women.... gotta love em :D

Then again, since your wife digs orange, here's the same frame in the standard paint job:

Originally posted by mrowkoob
My wife to be also requested a "red one" when asked what kind of racebike she wanted.
Women.... gotta love em :D
My finacee; similar story. I wish she'd ride the damn thing.

at the risk of vanity... i submit mine... :cool:

That's a very very cool Klein, she'd love the orange.

But I ain't gonna spend more on her 'pretty' bike than my own is worth! ;) ...back to the 1200ish price range please.

When you said she was eyeing $3K stuff, I thought you were exapnding your budget acordingly (you know, for love and all). Ok, ok. Hmmm. Let's see... pretty bikes.

We so often look for cool bikes, but all too rarely do we seek out the pretty bike. My Klein was the culmination of a pretty bike quest, though, so maybe I'm on a similar wavelength... let's see...

Here's a question. What would you consider her prefered aesthetic to be? Is she a romatic? A classicist? A modernist? A futurist? Euro-chic? Euro-classic? A racer wannabe?

Lemond has some affordable models and sports a nice, elegant, sophisticated neo-classicist prettiness. Bianchi is the best option for someone looking for that Italian touch, but on a budget; they run the gamut from stately to goofy.

Thought about some of the great lugged steel stuff from Waterford, Independent Fabrication, or even Rivendell? The prices can get high, depending on your build, but they're gorgeous with a new-old-fashioned charm.

Need more input...

at the risk of vanity... i submit mine... :cool:

Lokstah - No, this bike is not just another pretty bike - it is way awesome! (or as the French Canadians say "Super Bonne!")

RC2 - If you are going to drop big $$$s, get her a custom steel frame from Independent Fabrication. She can pick any color scheme she can dream up - from gorgeous to grotesque! I think a custom fit steel frame (only) starts at about $2K.

Or maybe if you can get her to buy brightly colored cycling outfits that will fulfill her color needs...

It is true that most of the stock bikes are pretty "safe" (boring) colors.

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Lokstah - No, this bike is not just another pretty bike - it is way awesome! (or as the French Canadians say "Super Bonne!")
(In a cheesy French accent) Thank you very much, Mr. Randy Baker. Thank you for thees honour. I am most appreciating your words.

When you said she was eyeing $3K stuff, I thought you were exapnding your budget acordingly (you know, for love and all).

:D Hmmm, how do I make sure she doesn't read this post...

Anyway, more data:

We're dealing with a very emotionally-centered individual...the type who starts crying if she see's a stranger who looks sad, and looses her marbles during most movies. Romantic, but also fairly energetic.

She has no knowledge nor appreciation for what I'll call 'pedigree' so Colnago as a brand is no more exciting to her than Giant. And I think she's more into brightly-colored aggressive paint vs. the "stately"/elegant schemes.

The orange/yellow Klein is probably right on the money (just not enough luv in the air for a $3k price tag -- at least not until I know she's not going to leave it unridden in the garage on a hook)!

And thanks for helping!

Originally posted by RC2
So I have to ask the question - dumb or not :) - does anyone have a recommendation for a "pretty" bike for her???

Thx!
Rod

Burgundy/maroon Zebra stripes anyone?

Last year's model, but maybe an LBS still has one in the basement...

MSRP is $1140.00 with Ultegra and Tiagra mix.

did the LBS not have the F70 in stock? much more "color" than the F60. 105 group (except brakes), and a couple hundred below your budget.

f70_02.jpg

or what about the women's geometry Specialized Dolce Elite?

04DolceElite_l.jpg

the Allez Sport also comes in a nice blue and white paint:

04AllezSport27blu_l.jpg

cheers,
phil

(does anyone know why the pictures show up as links, even with the IMG tags?)

Originally posted by RC2
First off, I know that sounds a bit stupid and I'd never purchase a bike based primarily on looks. But...

My wife wants to get in to road biking, and I took her to shop around. I was steering her toward a Felt F60 (105/ultegra, $1200ish, with carbon fiber fork and seat stays/aluminum frame). I'd like to stay in that price range and not go below a 105 groupo.

Anyway, she kept acting non-interested in what I was encouraging, and kept gravitating to the brightly-painted, $3k carbon fiber bikes each time. Later she commented in that she wanted a pretty (bright orange or green or yellow...) bike. I want her to be happy and started searching trek/cannondale/specialized/etc/etc and found dull paint jobs consistently in that price range (i.e. all white or all black).

Thx!
Rod

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Burgundy/maroon Zebra stripes anyone?

Last year's model, but maybe an LBS still has one in the basement...

MSRP is $1140.00 with Ultegra and Tiagra mix.
Ha! That's my fiancee's bike, the exact model and paint job.