Recommendations for a trainer?

dterner1

Mar 9, 2005
Hey all. Wonder if you would please recommend a trainer for those bad weather days (I am in Colorado and we have a few of them here). I hear all kinds of scuttlebutt about fluid v. wind and then resistance trainers. Anyone know of the sweet spot on those three graphs -- something not bleeding edge, but a trainer I can put a lot of miles on during the winter (bad weather)?
Thanks in advance!
DT

dterner1 said:
Hey all. Wonder if you would please recommend a trainer for
DT

The lower priced Peformance/nashbar ones are quite good, and have a lifetime warranty. With a coupon a fluid from there runs around $1-120.

I love my Kurt Kenetic. Fluid resistance, quiet, no annoying adjustments, solidly built and stable. The only negative is the naked Bob Roll in their new media campaign.

I've a 2005 CycleOps Fluid 2 and it has a small leak after less than 6 months use. I'll not buy another fluid trainer. My next trainer will be one of those Mag type trainers that estimates power/wattage. Something like this one perhaps ...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19269&subcategory_ID=4120

Edit: I'm not suggesting that all fluid trainers or even a high percentage of them will leak. I'm just stating that I've had bad luck with one and will not go that route again.

Hmmmmm?! Looks like they or nobody haven't perfected the fluid traners yet.:rolleyes:

Had the Kenetic over 3 years, work it pretty hard, my tri-wife too, and it's never leaked, and it is guaranteed NEVER to leak. In fact on their web site they'll show you why it won't leak. But you never can be sure about anything can you?

Thanks for the heads-up CDAKIAHONDA! I am contemplating fluid (w/guarantees or not) and wind.... :) variable resistance makes for a less boring ride, right?
:)
Dave

CDAKIAHONDA said:
Had the Kenetic over 3 years, work it pretty hard, my tri-wife too, and it's never leaked, and it is guaranteed NEVER to leak. In fact on their web site they'll show you why it won't leak. But you never can be sure about anything can you?

Thanks, jasong. Will check out both sites.

Ta
Dave

jasong said:
The lower priced Peformance/nashbar ones are quite good, and have a lifetime warranty. With a coupon a fluid from there runs around $1-120.

Ta, Dr. Mobius,

Checked out that link and it looks good to me. My rug is already suffering from all the lubricant I use on my bike.... no need for fluid leaks...
Dave

Doctor Morbius said:
I've a 2005 CycleOps Fluid 2 and it has a small leak after less than 6 months use. I'll not buy another fluid trainer. My next trainer will be one of those Mag type trainers that estimates power/wattage. Something like this one perhaps ...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19269&subcategory_ID=4120

Edit: I'm not suggesting that all fluid trainers or even a high percentage of them will leak. I'm just stating that I've had bad luck with one and will not go that route again.

dterner1 said:
Thanks for the heads-up CDAKIAHONDA! I am contemplating fluid (w/guarantees or not) and wind.... :) variable resistance makes for a less boring ride, right?
Dave

Movies and music make for a less boring ride, it's why I got netflix. We have long winters sometimes here too. Fluid trainers like the Kinetic are progressive resistance, so they spool up with you, no need to adjust.

http://www.bobinthebuff.com/

kurt kinetic. over the past 4 winters, I've put about 500 hours in on mine with no problems. and even though it may cost a little more, make sure you get the 6.25 pound flywheel.

Morbius...don't the CycleOps come with a lifetime warranty? Why not just use it?

I'd like to throw a vote towards the 1UpUsa. I've had mine since last year and it is very quiet and easy to set up. Priced towards the high end at $299 I don't ever plan on buying another one. Now, can someone figure out a way to make the trainer less B O R I N G ??? :cool:

http://www.1upusa.com/

dterner1 said:
Hey all. Wonder if you would please recommend a trainer for those bad weather days (I am in Colorado and we have a few of them here). I hear all kinds of scuttlebutt about fluid v. wind and then resistance trainers. Anyone know of the sweet spot on those three graphs -- something not bleeding edge, but a trainer I can put a lot of miles on during the winter (bad weather)?
Thanks in advance!
DT

I use a Cat Eye Cyclosimulator. Has computer that shows speed,av. speed,calories,watts and so on.
Variable resistance at your finger tips.
So far so good,works great but not the cheapest out there.

jhuskey said:
I use a Cat Eye Cyclosimulator. Has computer that shows speed,av. speed,calories,watts and so on.
Variable resistance at your finger tips.
So far so good,works great but not the cheapest out there.
Computrainer gets my vote... also add the Netathlon software from fitcentric and you can race others online especially during winter months... you will never get bored!

Thanks all, lately CampagnoloBora.. I am going to go check out all your recommendations and see if I can test ride them at Wheat Ridge Cyclery..

Dave\

CampagnoloBora said:
Computrainer gets my vote... also add the Netathlon software from fitcentric and you can race others online especially during winter months... you will never get bored!

I've had a CycleOps Fluid2 Trainer for a couple years in which I used at least an hour 5 times out of the week during the off season and never had a problem.

yes its quiet but I didnt buy it for the silent spinning it gives me. The Fluid gives you progressive resistance. Because of the fluid, the longer and harder you pedal, the heat causes the fluid to expand which creates more resistance. Mag trainers are ok, but they peak out in resistance, even with an adjustable resistance which gives you maybe two types of resistance.

Also, if you want another option for training, try rollers. A bit harder to get used to but the training is much better. Helps you dial in you're pedal stroke a bit better since you have to concentrate to stay balanced on the rollers.

So trust me, the fluid2 is a great trainer, has never leaked on me before, and the ride quality is closer to road than anything I've ever ridden. And having the progressive resistance is a major bonus over mags.