Recommendations for baggy shorts?

Sam Yorko

Guest
The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for bicycle
use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight outfits (Fabs,
you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking for something
baggy. Any ideas?

Sam

Even though you're up there in size, I'd still say get spandex shorts. They really are very
comfortable. Failing that, get spandex bib-shorts and put a pair of baggy boxers or something over
them. I always troll the clearance aisles at Winners or something looking for some cheesey
beach-wear-type shorts that I can toss over the bibs for $9 or something. A cautionary tale, if
you're doing off-road MTB stuff or expect to get wet, forego the bags..they're truely a pain in the
ass (forgive me..) in these conditions, always hitching up on the saddle etc.

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

"Sam Yorko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?
>
> Sam

"Sam Yorko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and
I need to get
> them replaced. What I'm currently using are actually a
pair of regular
> street shorts, which are really not good for bicycle use.
I'm not ever
> going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or
skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the
"clydesdale"
> category, so I'm looking for something baggy. Any ideas?

You don't have to be sleek, just comfortable. Tight fitting lycra is comfortable because it clings
to you and doesn't move against your skin much, which prevents chafe.

All the baggy shorts I've tried on have a liner that's considerably baggier than regular cycling
shorts', with thick padding too. So they're nowhere near as form fitting as the real thing. In fact,
I own some Fox shorts, which were the closest fitting ones I could find, and even those chafe a bit
after 20 miles or so. However, these shorts are obviously meant to fit fleshier physiques than mine,
so YMMV. If you're interested, Supergo has the Fox shorts on sale for $25 or so.

I recommend some "real" cycling shorts, and good ones at that. The extra money is well spent --
they'll fit better, and last longer. You'll have them for years, even if you ride a lot.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
Sam Yorko <[email protected]> wrote:

>The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
>currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for bicycle
>use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight outfits
>(Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking for
>something baggy. Any ideas?

I like cycling underwear (with an insert like regular cycling shorts) worn under any kind of loose
pants (I usually wear semi-baggy hiking pants). You can see an example at
http://www.veloplus.ch/velo_detail.asp?IDK=215&IDA=3972

--
Ned Mantei Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology CH-8093 Zurich,
Switzerland

> "Sam Yorko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and
> I need to get
> > them replaced. What I'm currently using are actually a
> pair of regular
> > street shorts, which are really not good for bicycle use.
> I'm not ever
> > going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or
> skintight
> > outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the
> "clydesdale"
> > category, so I'm looking for something baggy. Any ideas?

Have you tried just plain old synthetic fabric shorts with a comfortable synthetic underwear? I'm no
mileage monster, but I just don't chafe at my normal 20-40 mile distances. Moisture control seems to
be a major factor in chafing, so try things that wick.

Check out Nashbar or performance bike.

"Sam Yorko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?
>
> Sam

"Real" lycra bicycling shorts are designed for bicycling, not walking in malls. They are generally
more comfortable for the purpose and they wear longer than "normal" shorts.

Consider lycra shorts with a pair of whatever looks decent on you over them. Works for me.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

Sam Yorko <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?
>
> Sam

Shops that cater to mountain bikers often have baggies -- maybe some local (to you) product line, or
maybe more mainstream offerings.

Cargo-type MTB shorts can be especially nice for commuting or errand- running. They often come in a
variety of lengths, up to something like plus-fours.

The gussets/liners typically aren't as comfy for longer hauls as a conventional chamois, but are
better than Fruit of the Looms.

cheers, Tom

Sam Yorko wrote:

> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?
>
> Sam

Zoic shorts.

Barry

> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?

Baggie shorts exist for marketing reasons, nothing else. We sell lycra shorts to people in XXXXL
sizes sometimes, and those people, perhaps more than most, are in need of something really
comfortable that's not going to chaffe and keep them dry. You'll get over looking silly or whatever
rather quickly; life's too short to worry about what someone else thinks about the size of your butt
or thighs, particularly when you're out there on a bike, getting the miles on and getting stronger
and fitter by the day.

If you have to, you can always wear a pair of lycra shorts, or the lycra short liners, underneath
some baggie shorts. But the more layers of material, the more friction.

True story- I have had more than one customer over the years who's absolutely refused to wear lycra
cycling shorts, despite the fact they pile on lots of miles. I keep at it, asking when they come in
if they're ready to try some, and for maybe a couple of years, the answer is no. Finally they get
the courage to go lycra, and, in at least two cases that I can remember quite clearly, they got mad
at me for not doing a better job convincing them earlier.

Sam,

I am a big guy and i wear lyrcra shorts. make them CRAVE the CHUNK. they will in time. cause you
need a big hammer to drive in a big nail.

"Sam Yorko" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
: The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
: currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
: bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
: outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
: for something baggy. Any ideas?
:
: Sam

I wear spandex bike chorts under a pair of suplex (nylon) sport shorts.The trick is to have slightly
longer under shorts than outer shorts.Both sould be reasonably long or they will bunch up on you.
Also, the outer shorts should be loose fitting without being really baggy or they will snag on the
saddle when you get on and off the bike.I'm used to wearing lycra only from the road but with the
right combination of inner-outer shorts can still be really comfortable.

Sam Yorko wrote:
> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?
>
> Sam

I have both baggies and skintights, and I've found that the outer legs of the baggy shorts rub the
tops of my thighs where the inner lycra part stops. It's bothersome at first, then a couple of hours
down the road you'd like to take a pocketknife to them. I got the baggies because I was terrified of
the idea of being seen in the other kind, but having pedaled away nearly 70 pounds has gone a long
way to improve my self confidence. I now astound my sedentary peers by riding 100k charity rides
(shooting for my first century this year!), and feel like that achievment gives me license to wear
whatever I please. I hardly wear the baggies anymore, unless the others are all in the laundry. I do
miss the pockets, however. Good luck!

Jerry

> I wear spandex bike chorts under a pair of suplex (nylon) sport shorts.The trick is to have
> slightly longer under shorts than outer shorts.Both sould be reasonably long or they will bunch up
> on you. Also, the outer shorts should be loose fitting without being really baggy or they will
> snag on the saddle when you get on and off the bike.I'm used to wearing lycra only from the road
> but with the right combination of inner-outer shorts can still be really comfortable.

Sugoi Bully Projects
--
_________________________

Sam Yorko <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The shorts that I am currently using are wearing out, and I need to get them replaced. What I'm
> currently using are actually a pair of regular street shorts, which are really not good for
> bicycle use. I'm not ever going to be one of the sleek bicycle riders with bibbs or skintight
> outfits (Fabs, you can skip out now), plus I'm well in the "clydesdale" category, so I'm looking
> for something baggy. Any ideas?
>
> Sam

i'm a clydesdale, too. for me, nothing beats a good pair of bibs. my favorites are the nashbar
shorts, they are durable, comfortable, and VERY reasonably priced. bibs don't ride down like regular
lycra shorts if you have, ahem, "beer muscles". if your appearance off the bike bothers you that
much, take along a light pair of regular cotton baggies to wear off the bike. and don't worry about
the guys that look like lance. remember you can always blow them away in the gym. smokey