Recommendations for books on bike maintanence

Paul M

Guest
I volunteer at a low cost community bike maintanence workshop, here in
Bristol*. Unfortuntely for us (if not for him) the mainstay of our
organisation id about to move to spain. With him, I fear, will go a lot
of accumulated wisdom and experience. Can anybody reccomend some good
books to fill the gaps? The basics are not a problem, its the more
obscure/techinical/unusual/workshop level stuff that needs covering

thanks

Paul M

* We are always happy to take more volunteers, and our your spare bike
bits ;)

(my real email is tallpaul at M L 1.net)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:58:36 GMT, Paul M <[email protected]> wrote:

>I volunteer at a low cost community bike maintanence workshop, here in
>Bristol*. Unfortuntely for us (if not for him) the mainstay of our
>organisation id about to move to spain. With him, I fear, will go a lot
>of accumulated wisdom and experience. Can anybody reccomend some good
>books to fill the gaps? The basics are not a problem, its the more
>obscure/techinical/unusual/workshop level stuff that needs covering

The obvious answer is Sheldon.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

Not a book, but an online repository of the mans cycling related
experience and wisdom. Have a root around his site, you'll find
articles, tutorials, collected data and the answer to just about any
question that'll arise in a bike workshop.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

in message <[email protected]>, Paul M
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I volunteer at a low cost community bike maintanence workshop, here in
> Bristol*. Unfortuntely for us (if not for him) the mainstay of our
> organisation id about to move to spain. With him, I fear, will go a
> lot of accumulated wisdom and experience. Can anybody reccomend some
> good books to fill the gaps? The basics are not a problem, its the
> more obscure/techinical/unusual/workshop level stuff that needs
> covering

I have found 'Zinn on the Art' very good, with detailed coverage even of
obscure parts. Two books, one dealing with mountain bikes, one with
road bikes. Profusely illustrated with good clear line drawings.

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

Paul M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I volunteer at a low cost community bike maintanence workshop, here in
> Bristol*. Unfortuntely for us (if not for him) the mainstay of our
> organisation id about to move to spain. With him, I fear, will go a lot
> of accumulated wisdom and experience. Can anybody reccomend some good
> books to fill the gaps? The basics are not a problem, its the more
> obscure/techinical/unusual/workshop level stuff that needs covering

This one covers a lot of ground, and some of the increasingly 'modern'
trends (like suspension forks and disk brakes):

<http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11575&langId=-1>

David Green
(who's running bike maintenance courses in Cambridge)

in message <[email protected]>, David
Green ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Paul M <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I volunteer at a low cost community bike maintanence workshop, here
>> in Bristol*. Unfortuntely for us (if not for him) the mainstay of our
>> organisation id about to move to spain. With him, I fear, will go a
>> lot of accumulated wisdom and experience. Can anybody reccomend some
>> good books to fill the gaps? The basics are not a problem, its the
>> more obscure/techinical/unusual/workshop level stuff that needs
>> covering

> This one covers a lot of ground, and some of the increasingly 'modern'
> trends (like suspension forks and disk brakes):

<http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11575&langId=-1>

Care to add it to the FAQ?
<URL:http://www.jasmine.org.uk:8180/urcautofaq/jsp/Wiki?HowToFix>

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

Paul M wrote:
> I volunteer at a low cost community bike maintanence workshop, here in
> Bristol*. Unfortuntely for us (if not for him) the mainstay of our
> organisation id about to move to spain. With him, I fear, will go a lot
> of accumulated wisdom and experience. Can anybody reccomend some good
> books to fill the gaps? The basics are not a problem, its the more
> obscure/techinical/unusual/workshop level stuff that needs covering

Thanks for all the advice. The Sheldon Brown stuff is great - though I'm
not about to take the latop into a greasy workshop - got me building
wheels again after a 20 year gap (My dad taught me as a tenager , in
fact taught me most of what I know, though things have moved on a bit
since then, even if I'm still riding bikes from that era) - but there's
enough there that we can get our greasy fingers on.

Paul M