Recommendations for floor pump?

joel roth

Guest
I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
to buy or which products to avoid?

It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
price point is flexible.

Thanks.

Joel

joel roth <[email protected]> wrote:

>I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
>to buy or which products to avoid?
>
>It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
>save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
>price point is flexible.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Joel

I use the Topeak Joe Blow and use it quite happily. Here's some
thoughts from MountainBikeReview.com:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pump/index_byrating.shtml

Look for something with a fairly high number of reviews before putting
much stock in a high rating.

Best of luck!

joel roth wrote:
> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for

what
> to buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so

my
> price point is flexible.

You know, you'd think that this would be easy... I have yet to find a
pump that I like.

I tried the blackburn -- piece of ****.
Joe Blow -- piece of **** (pump head was ****)
I now bought a wrench force. It is a beautiful pump, but maybe the
head needs to be broken in, because it grips the damn valve stem SO
tightly that the other day I tore two valve stems right out of the
tube!

So... the quest for a good pump continues... and the pile of pieces of
**** grows. (but the wrench force may turn out to be ok once the head
rubber breaks in).

Per joel roth:
>I don't want to
>save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use

If the pump's use will be restricted to a certain pressure, that might be a
significant decision point. i.e. if you're never going over, say, 80 psi you
might be able to find a pump that moves more air per stroke than if you needed
to get to 120.

I'm not particulary happy with mine. Moves too little air per stroke and it's
sized for a person of normal or below-normal height. If I could add a foot to
the barrel, it would probably fix both of those shortcomings...
--
PeteCresswell

Per (Pete Cresswell):
>shortcomings

And I concur with Psycho's observation about the head gripping the valve stem
too tightly. Haven't torn any out yet but the day's coming...
--
PeteCresswell

The top of the line Specialized pump is the nicest one I have ever used.
Pump head accepts presta or Schraeder without any manipulation. Pumps up
easily, has a stable, wide base and the handle has a very nice ergonomic
bend.

Cost me about $50 last year. Well worth the price in my opinion.
"joel roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what to
>buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to save
> a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my price
> point is flexible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joel

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:19:20 GMT, Neil Brooks <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I use the Topeak Joe Blow and use it quite happily. Here's some
>thoughts from MountainBikeReview.com:
>
>http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pump/index_byrating.shtml
>
>Look for something with a fairly high number of reviews before putting
>much stock in a high rating.
>
>Best of luck!

Hi, I'll second the vote for the Topeak, I use a Joe Blow Sport. Mine
had the two sided head and I did have to replace an o-ring after about
a years, regular use. I got a deal on a Smarthead, so I put that on
and I really like it. So, get the Joe Blow that comes with the
"Smarthead" and you should be all set

Life is Good!
Jeff .

The Park PFP-2 Professional Mechanic Floor Pump is a great pump and you
can be pretty sure that parts will be available for a long time to
come. It can be had for ~$65. That's a little out of your price
range, but consider it's a tool you will use almost as often as your
bike. Plus, there will not be an LBS anywhere that can't help you
with it if you have a problem. Very rugged and will likely be around
longer than me or any bike I will ever own.

joel roth wrote:
> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for

what
> to buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so

my
> price point is flexible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joel

"Steve Braun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The top of the line Specialized pump is the nicest one I have ever used.
> Pump head accepts presta or Schraeder without any manipulation. Pumps up
> easily, has a stable, wide base and the handle has a very nice ergonomic
> bend.
>
> Cost me about $50 last year. Well worth the price in my opinion.

I definitely second that. After stuggling with several cheaper Zefal's and
other pieces of consumer grade ****, I asked the mechanics at the local shop
to get me a good one, and they said get the Specialized. Works perfectly
every time. Has a nice long hose, a big gauge, a nice handle, a sturdy
base, etc. Well, *well* worth the $50. Wouldn't hesitate buying another
one if I ever need a new one. I'm not normally a Specialized kind of guy,
but they got this one exactly right.

Park Tools makes a nice pro one for bike shops, but I think it's a bit more
than $50, though.

Regards,
H.

In article <[email protected]>,
joel roth <[email protected]> wrote:
>I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
>to buy or which products to avoid?
>
>It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
>save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
>price point is flexible.

I'm a fan of the Silca Super Pista, though the slightly shorter
Pista is just as nice and less expensive. It's a very simple design
that hasn't materially changed in 30 years; easily rebuildable with
parts easily found. Good for a lifetime.

Nashbar currently has the Pista for $35, while Lickton's has the
Super Pista for $50. The Super Pista has a 60cm long tube, and has a
wooden handle, while the Pista is 50cm with a plastic handle. The two
are otherwise identical.

But, I don't regularly pump schrader valves, so you may have
different feelings for Silca's chuck. I have the old reversible chuck,
so I can't really speak for their current chuck offering. With
both of these you have to screw the chuck on and off of schrader
valves, losing a little bit of air in the process. I don't use the
valve depressor pin in my chuck, and have cut the springs off the cores
of what schrader valves I do use my pump on, so the lost air doesn't
happen for me, but I don't know if you can do this with the current
chuck. For Presta valves though, I have absolutely no complaints.
More complicated chucks have never worked well for me - I
have, but don't use, a Topeak Smarthead - but this is a matter of
preference. Some people having opposite feelings about these chucks.

Though, I think my next floor pump won't be a Silca, but
rather my own variation of the Jobst Brandt's coaxial double-acting
pump (whenever I find myself with the opportunity to build one).

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/ASSYINST_BW_.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/PMP_004.jpg

I'm thinking of using a downstroke inner diameter is about what the
Pista uses (as opposed to the Silca Impero size that Jobst uses), so
the maximum down force would be the same as the Pista. But, with
precharge there's a higher initial downforce that might be difficult
for light/short users to put their weight into. But then again,
light/short users wouldn't necessarily have to use a full upstroke. I'm
still chewing on thoughts though, and not expecting to actually build
any time soon.

-Luns

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 03:21:57 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] (Luns Tee) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>joel roth <[email protected]> wrote:
>>I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
>>to buy or which products to avoid?
>>
>>It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
>>save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
>>price point is flexible.

> I'm a fan of the Silca Super Pista, though the slightly shorter
>Pista is just as nice and less expensive. It's a very simple design
>that hasn't materially changed in 30 years; easily rebuildable with
>parts easily found. Good for a lifetime.
>
> Nashbar currently has the Pista for $35, while Lickton's has the
>Super Pista for $50. The Super Pista has a 60cm long tube, and has a
>wooden handle, while the Pista is 50cm with a plastic handle. The two
>are otherwise identical.
>
> But, I don't regularly pump schrader valves, so you may have
>different feelings for Silca's chuck. I have the old reversible chuck,
>so I can't really speak for their current chuck offering. With
>both of these you have to screw the chuck on and off of schrader
>valves, losing a little bit of air in the process. I don't use the
>valve depressor pin in my chuck, and have cut the springs off the cores
>of what schrader valves I do use my pump on, so the lost air doesn't
>happen for me, but I don't know if you can do this with the current
>chuck. For Presta valves though, I have absolutely no complaints.
> More complicated chucks have never worked well for me - I
>have, but don't use, a Topeak Smarthead - but this is a matter of
>preference. Some people having opposite feelings about these chucks.
>
> Though, I think my next floor pump won't be a Silca, but
>rather my own variation of the Jobst Brandt's coaxial double-acting
>pump (whenever I find myself with the opportunity to build one).
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/ASSYINST_BW_.pdf
>http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/PMP_004.jpg
>
>I'm thinking of using a downstroke inner diameter is about what the
>Pista uses (as opposed to the Silca Impero size that Jobst uses), so
>the maximum down force would be the same as the Pista. But, with
>precharge there's a higher initial downforce that might be difficult
>for light/short users to put their weight into. But then again,
>light/short users wouldn't necessarily have to use a full upstroke. I'm
>still chewing on thoughts though, and not expecting to actually build
>any time soon.
>
>-Luns

Dear Luns,

There are four versions of Jobst's two designs.

These are black and white 50k pdf files that enlarge well:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/ASSYINST_BW_.pdf
(single)

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/BSSYINST_BW_.pdf
(twin)

These are 290k jpg files with color, but don't enlarge well:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/PUMP_NEW.jpg
(single)

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/PUMP_OLD.jpg
(twin)

Carl Fogel

"joel roth" wrote ...
> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
> to buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
> price point is flexible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joel

I've got a Silca Pista floor pump that I bought in 1988 with a schraeder
adaptor that I bought a few years ago. I've replaced the pump head rubber a
few times over the years, replaced the pressure gauge once, and replaced the
cheap spring type hose clamps with screw type hose clamps. The schraeder
adaptor is not the easiest to use, but other than that the pump is great.
I'm toying with getting one of the fancy new Super Pistas with a big wooden
handle and a wide barrel to move more air into my MTB tires, but I'd be just
as happy to keep my old pump for another decade or two.
--
mark

On 3 Mar 2005 15:42:09 -0800, "Velo Psycho"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>joel roth wrote:
>> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for

>what
>> to buy or which products to avoid?
>>
>> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
>> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so

>my
>> price point is flexible.
>>

>You know, you'd think that this would be easy... I have yet to find a
>pump that I like.
>
>I tried the blackburn -- piece of ****.
>Joe Blow -- piece of **** (pump head was ****)
>I now bought a wrench force. It is a beautiful pump, but maybe the
>head needs to be broken in, because it grips the damn valve stem SO
>tightly that the other day I tore two valve stems right out of the
>tube!

Presta valves? Have you tried loosening the retainer for the rubber
gasket?

joel roth wrote:
> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
> to buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
> price point is flexible.

Silca.
Lasts forever because the small parts never change and
every good shop has all of them

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>,
mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm toying with getting one of the fancy new Super Pistas with a big wooden
>handle and a wide barrel to move more air into my MTB tires, but I'd be just
>as happy to keep my old pump for another decade or two.

Super Pista has the same diameter barrel as the Pista (I think
the actual ID is around 28mm). There was another pump that shared the
Super Pista's wooden handle, whose name I'm not certain of - I've seen
it referred to as either Magnum Force or Magnum Pista - that had a
larger barrel (I think around 40mm diameter). I don't believe Silca
makes this one any more.

-Luns

"joel roth" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
de :
news:[email protected]...
>I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what to
>buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to save
> a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my price
> point is flexible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joel

I like the SKS Rennkompressor, since it has a steel barrel, so flex at the
joint between the barrel and the transfer block is less likely to result in
damaging flexion. It's also good for track, going to about 15 bars, as I
recall.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

joel roth wrote:

> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder.

SKS Rennkompressor.

Greets, Derk

Dan Daniel wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2005 15:42:09 -0800, "Velo Psycho"
> >I now bought a wrench force. It is a beautiful pump, but maybe the
> >head needs to be broken in, because it grips the damn valve stem SO
> >tightly that the other day I tore two valve stems right out of the
> >tube!
> >

> Presta valves? Have you tried loosening the retainer for the rubber
> gasket?

Yes, presta valves. I did loosen the retainer to the point that it was
almost falling off.

In article <[email protected]>,
Jeff Starr <[email protected]> wrote:

snip

> Hi, I'll second the vote for the Topeak, I use a Joe Blow Sport. Mine
> had the two sided head and I did have to replace an o-ring after about
> a years, regular use. I got a deal on a Smarthead, so I put that on
> and I really like it. So, get the Joe Blow that comes with the
> "Smarthead" and you should be all set
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff .

I carried a Joe Blow Pro pump in my trailer on a coast to coast ride a
few years ago.

Everyone snickerd at it the first two days, but after that I was the
most "popular" guy on tour. The pump was used by every rider every
morning for the entire 45 days ( olde foggies ) the tour took.

Still use it every day.

HAND

joel roth wrote:
> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for

what
> to buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so

my
> price point is flexible.

I've had a Topeak Joe Blow for 5-6 years. I'd rate it as "OK", it does
the job but has a few annoyances.