Recommendations for floor pump?

joel roth wrote:
> I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
> to buy or which products to avoid?
>
> It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
> price point is flexible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joel

Only one choice, Silca with the brass shraeder/presta end. Best made,
last forever, completely rebuildable

"Qui Si Parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> joel roth wrote:
> > I need a new floor pump, both presa/schraeder. Any suggestions for what
> > to buy or which products to avoid?
> >
> > It looks like the prices range from about $20 - $50. I don't want to
> > save a few bucks, but end up with a pump that is difficult to use, so my
> > price point is flexible.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Joel
> >

> Only one choice, Silca with the brass shraeder/presta end. Best made,
> last forever, completely rebuildable

I'll second the Silca vote. I've got a large on and a small one. The little
one is about 15 years old. Big one at least 10. One lives in the car the
other on the back porch. A new grommet every few years and a little lube on
the piston seal and they"just keeps on ticking". I've never wanted a
different one.
Bill Brannon

A Muzi wrote:

> Silca.
> Lasts forever because the small parts never change and
> every good shop has all of them

It's true, anything will last forever if you fix it when it breaks.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> It's true, anything will last forever if you fix it when it breaks.

True but not trite in this case.

Pump small parts are an unending vale of tears outside Silca
and, to a lesser extent, Zefal.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
>> A Muzi wrote:
>>> Silca.
>>> Lasts forever because the small parts never change and
>>> every good shop has all of them

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>> It's true, anything will last forever if you fix it when it breaks.

> True but not trite in this case.
>
> Pump small parts are an unending vale of tears outside Silca
> and, to a lesser extent, Zefal.

Lesser indeed. Parts for my Zefal can only be obtained by the in-the-know, or
so it seems.

Matt O.

A Muzi wrote:
>> A Muzi wrote:
>>
>>> Silca.
>>> Lasts forever because the small parts never change and
>>> every good shop has all of them

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
>> It's true, anything will last forever if you fix it when it breaks.

> True but not trite in this case.
>
> Pump small parts are an unending vale of tears outside Silca and, to a
> lesser extent, Zefal.

??
Topeak has spare parts out the ying-yang.

Robin Hubert

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Silca= two sizes of piston (frame and floor), three head washers(#73,
> #323, #24), one O-ring in the check valve, one plastic PV/SV assembly. Not
> too complex.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Almost, but not quite true. I own a Silca that has a barrel that is 26" in
length and 1-3/4" in outside diameter, i.e., bigger in diameter and longer
than a Pista or Super Pista. I forget the model name, it might have been
something like "Maxum" and I believe it is no longer made. The barrel is
painted dark blue. It is the only one I have ever seen but I think it is
fairly modern, 1980's/1990's.

Best regards,

Yuji Sakuma

Okay, I found a reference, the pump is actually called a Silca Magnum. I
bought it from an LBS not the outfit in this link.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/silcfloor.html

Yuji Sakuma

news:[email protected]...

Yuji Sakuma wrote:
> Okay, I found a reference, the pump is actually called a Silca Magnum. I
> bought it from an LBS not the outfit in this link.
> http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/silcfloor.html

Yes, that's true. And the Silca Gran Sasso mini pump and
probably some other Silca products here and there. Still,
the overwhelming bulk of Silca that comes through my door is
easily rebuilt in a few minutes.