Recommendations for new bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tou, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Tou

    Tou Guest

    I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from you
    folks since the more i talk to dealers the more i get confused

    Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and wheels
    also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from other dealers Le Mond
    Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the maillot jaune
    Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would welcome their
    suggestions

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:07:09 GMT, "tou" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    >you folks since the more i talk to dealers the more i get confused
    >
    >Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and wheels
    >also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from other dealers Le Mond
    >Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the maillot jaune
    >Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would welcome their
    >suggestions

    Have you actually ridden any of the bikes?

    Barry

  3. Tou

    Tou Guest

    I rode the trek also the cannondale

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:07:09 GMT, "tou" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    > >you folks since the more
    > >talk to dealers the more i get confused
    > >
    > >Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and
    > >wheels also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from
    other
    > >dealers Le Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe
    > >the maillot jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would
    > >welcome their suggestions
    > >

    > Have you actually ridden any of the bikes?
    >
    > Barry

  4. We've sold many more 2300s this year than years past; people seem to really like the ride. My own
    preference is for the carbon fiber 5200 over the LeMond Arrivee, but that's just me... I've
    become hopelessly addicted to my Trek carbon bikes over the years. Afraid I can't say anything
    about the Fuji.

    The 2300 & 5200 will fit identically, while the LeMond has geometry that's quite different (and will
    affect both the fit & ride). You need to try them out to see what's what, and make sure they're set
    up appropriately, as minor differences in things like tire pressure will make a very significant
    difference in how one bike rides. You might check this page out on our website-

    www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm

    It's got information on how to set up and evaluate the differences between bikes, and is material &
    brand neutral.

    And, as has been said many times here before, sometimes the differences between one dealer and the
    next can be a bigger issue than any differences between brands.

  5. On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:39:43 GMT, "tou" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I rode the trek also the cannondale

    Ride them all and see what differences you can feel.

    Barry

  6. Tou

    Tou Guest

    I am kind of asking for personal opinions from folks who own these bikes!

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:39:43 GMT, "tou" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I rode the trek also the cannondale
    >

    > Ride them all and see what differences you can feel.
    >
    > Barry

  7. Tou

    Tou Guest

    "tou" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    > you folks since the more
    > talk to dealers the more i get confused
    >
    > Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and
    > wheels also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from other dealers Le
    > Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the maillot
    > jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would welcome their
    > suggestions

  8. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    afford. Make sure it has lots of carbon parts. If possible, go Campy over Shimano.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My polyvinyl cowboy wallet was made in Hong
    Kong by Montgomery Clift!

  9. "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    can
    > afford. Make sure it has lots of carbon parts. If possible, go Campy over Shimano.
    >

    > --
    > http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My polyvinyl cowboy wallet was made in Hong
    > Kong by Montgomery Clift!
    > 5:00:20 PM 7 June 2003

    ...and manufactured by child labor.

  10. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >Le Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the
    >maillot jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would
    >welcome their

    Try the Lemond Buenos Aires or Zurich- Ultegra at $1600 or so. The Cannondale will punish you with
    its aluminum frame as will the Trek- stick with steel.

  11. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "tou" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]ews.adelphia.net...

    > "tou" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    > > you folks since the
    more
    > > talk to dealers the more i get confused
    > >
    > > Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and
    > > wheels also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from
    other
    > > dealers Le Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I
    will
    > > pay it or maybe the maillot jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should
    > > look at I would welcome
    their
    > > suggestions

    I have a Fuji Marseilles, Ultegra equipped, I like it and would buy another.

    Frame is high quality, don't believe competing dealers.

    Dashii

  12. Hf

    Hf Guest

    I have the Fuji Professional 2001 with campy. I cracked the chain stay. Not sure how, I have never
    gone down on the bike. I do weigh about 230. I put 4000 miles on it last year. Fuji gave me another
    frame, the newer 2002 X-fusion. I'll see if that holds out. Anyways I really like the bike. I don't
    think I'd get the 2003 Pro, only because I like campy.

    scott

    tou wrote:
    > "tou" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    >>you folks since the more

    >>talk to dealers the more i get confused
    >>
    >>Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and
    >>wheels also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from other dealers Le
    >>Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the maillot
    >>jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would welcome their
    >>suggestions

  13. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    you
    > can
    > > afford. Make sure it has lots of carbon parts. If possible, go Campy
    over
    > > Shimano.
    > >

    > > --
    > > http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My polyvinyl cowboy wallet was made in
    > > Hong Kong by Montgomery Clift!
    > > 5:00:20 PM 7 June 2003
    >

    > ...and manufactured by child labor.

    The children do a much better job of polishing in tight areas (like the bottom bracket area between
    the chainstays).

    They've got smaller hands which make them very useful for that sort of work.

    To top it off, you can work them 12 hours/day and they won't complain to the authorities because
    they don't know any better.

  14. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
    <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

    > afford. Make sure it has lots of carbon parts. If possible, go Campy over Shimano.

    snip

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    I did this yesterday. Didn't want to ride in the 2 inches of rain we got, so went to the LBS and
    ordered the above.

    Lots of carbon ,titanium, whatever. Looked at the Look CX7 pedals, but the CX6 were half the price.
    Does anyone ride with adjustable camber??

    Had to buy a new pair of Sidi's, too.

    So much for tax credits.

    HAND

    ..and they say that we'll have fun here, if we ever get to see the sun here... - Shelly Berman - "
    Camp Grenada "

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

  15. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    "tou" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    > you folks since the more
    > talk to dealers the more i get confused
    >
    > Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and
    > wheels also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from other dealers Le
    > Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the maillot
    > jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would welcome their
    > suggestions

    I can't speak for other bikes, but have ridden a Cannondale R1000 with all Ultegra for 3 1/2 years
    and put about 30K miles on it. Its been a very durable bike with a stiff frame. Its light and great
    for climbing and accelerating and very stable on fast descents. The downers have been harsh ride on
    rough roads and long rides, and have had to replace right Ultegra shifter twice. I'm now looking at
    a new bike, mainly for the change. I'm leaning hard towards a carbon Trek 5500 or Calfee Tetra but
    have yet to test ride either. I've been told I will be astounded at the ride quality difference
    compared to R1000. We'll see.

  16. Tou

    Tou Guest

    "tou" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have narrowed my choices down to these bikes. I would appreciate comments regarding these from
    > you folks since the more
    > talk to dealers the more i get confused
    >
    > Trek 2300...full Ultrega 1800 bucks Fuji Professional Dura Ace except for crank"Ritchey" and
    > wheels also 1900bucks for Dura Ace! I was told the frames are not that good from other dealers Le
    > Mond Arrivee Ultegra/105 components 2500 ouch! but if its worth I will pay it or maybe the maillot
    > jaune Cannondale r 1000 Or if any body has any other bikes I should look at I would welcome their
    > suggestions

  17. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    >Try the Lemond Buenos Aires or Zurich- Ultegra at $1600 or so. The Cannondale will punish you with
    >its aluminum frame as will the Trek- stick with steel.

    I know people who have most of those bikes or ones similar and they all like their rides. I think
    all of them are good bikes and it is a matter of personal preference.

    I ride Cannondales and the new ones are more forgiving. Being a large rider, I like a stiff ride.
    Shoot, years ago I had a Black Lightning, which was the stiffest bike that Bicycle Magazine ever
    tested, or so I believe. It was really responsive and handled well and if you rode over a quarter
    you could tell if it was heads or tails without looking! For awhile, I used it as my spare and
    loaner bike. A number of friends rode it and they all loved it.

  18. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >I ride Cannondales and the new ones are more forgiving. Being a large rider, I like a stiff ride.
    >Shoot, years ago I had a Black Lightning, which was the stiffest bike that Bicycle Magazine ever
    >tested, or so I believe. It was really responsive and handled well and if you rode over a qu

    To each his own. I doubt I'd ever buy aluminum road bike though.