Recommendations for new shifters, chain and cassette (Specialized Sirrus 2009)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dafne123, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Dafne123

Dafne123 New Member

Hi everybody!

I would like some advice as I need to get new shifters, a new chain (and possibly a new cassette) for my Specialized Sirrus 2009, a hybrid which is almost a road bike I'd say.
    I've had the bike for 2 years now. I've used it to commute almost every day (around 6 miles per day) so I think it's about time...

You can find the specs here:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-2009-road-bike-ec016920

First of all, I am going to change the original shifters, which are not working properly.
    They are Shimano Revo, 8-speed twist shifters.

I was recommended to get some thumb shifters which are supposed to be more reliable than grip ones.

My budget is not excessively high, but I don't want to get something very very cheap.

Secondly, I need to change the original chain (KMC Z-51 8 speed). I am considering a SRAM. Anyadvice is more than welcome.

Lastly, I am contemplating gettting a new cassette, if I find a good deal. The original one is a Shimano HG-40, 8-speed, 11-32 tooth range
    Again I would really appreciate it if you could give me some recommendations.

Thanks a lot!!

Tags:

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

Are you basing your decision to replace chain/cassette only on mileage? If so, I would say that even if you have 3000mi on your current equipment, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is time to change things out. I ride a lot more than you (~5000mi annually), but only replace my chain at the beginning of each season. Chain wear can be caused by a lot of different factors, but mostly "load". If you don't do a ton of climbing, for example (or sprinting), putting massive load on your chain, a chain can last a long time. A cassette can last even longer. So have your LBS take a look, or try to measure chain wear on you own. Chances are, yours are still OK.

3. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

And have you had the shifters checked by your LBS to make sure they are adjusted correctly? That could be an easy and inexpensive fix..

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

All of the above advice is good, but should you decide to upgrade anyway, here's mine. Chains should be replaced when they show over 1% stretch. That usually happens at 2000-4000 miles. Obviously, clean and well-lubricated chains last longer. The SRAM PC850 chain should work fine. My rate for cassette wear is about one cassette for every two or three chains. A Shimano HG50 cassette will work fine with that SRAM 8-speed chain. As for the shifters, the Shimano Alivio set should be quite satisfactory. We've used them to replace old, broken Deore 8-speed shifters and the customers were very happy.