Recommendations for new tires?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Seething, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Seething

Seething New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new pair of road tires as my old Michelin 700 x 23's have had it. The pavement I ride on is less than perfect, with most roads surfaced with a mix of smoothed gravel and tar. They also tend to be rather bumpy. Factor in that I'm a heavier guy (6', 220 lbs.) and you can see it makes for a jarring ride that's also tough on tires. I will probably try 25mm tires this time around, or possibly a 25/28 setup.

I'm just a recreational rider, but I am looking for something that will give me a smoother ride as well as good flat protection. The guy at my LBS recommended Armadillo tires, but I've heard that Gatorskins are also very good tires. Anyone want to pass on their opinions?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

I was going to say gaterskins - more from word of mouth rather than actual experience.

I run GP4000s on my bike on crappy roads in chicago and have good luck (knock on wood) having had only one flat (pinch) in over 10000mi!

3. TKOS

TKOS New Member

The Armadillo tires are pretty good. At least in MTB form they are. If this is just recreational riding then I suggest going for 28's if they fit your bike. Then run them at a slightly lower pressure. Should help with smoothing things for you.

4. tangcomic

tangcomic New Member

I have 23mm Gatorskins tires on my road bike; 28mm Armadillo tires on my single speed commute bike.
    Armadillo is thicker, so I think it provide better protection; on the other hand, Gatorskins is lighter,and thinner, therefore they should effect you speed less. Personally, I like the Gatorskins a little more.

5. gman0482

gman0482 Member

+1. Just got the new 23 Conti 4000S (w/ black chili) and so far they're great (knock on wood as well).

6. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i'm a cyclist :rolleyes: and can post on thread too. there.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I've not had any good luck with Conti GP4000s tires. In my experience they've punctured easily and cut sidewalls easier than a wet tongue goes through rice paper.

I've had great luck with Maxxis Re-Fuse tires, many times better than my experience with Gatorskins which came in the form of Sprinter Gatorskins (tubular tires). The Maxxis tires ride well enough and have plenty o' grip.

Michelin Krylions are also passable, even though they don't offer an all-black tire.

8. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

It would have to be an amazing tire to get mento switch from the Continental GP4000S. Ive been riding them since they were released over 2 years ago and have only had one 'mystery' flat. I went to go for a ride and the tire was flat - but I couldn't find where the puncture was, even in a bucket of water... Weird.

Besides the awesome puncture resistance they just ride really well and are very forgiving of stupid and near reckless behaviour while descending. I'd love to ride the tubular version of this tire...

9. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I've currently been having a good run with Hutchinson Fusion 3 tires, but I am pretty fortunate not to have the flat troubles that other riders tend ro have. I guess that a lot of it has to do with where you ride, like in the Southwest US where they have goats heads. Here in Ohio we just have the usual glass and an occasional nail or sharp rock(for those who ride really thin performance tires). You can't go wrong with Gatorskins, but a lot of manufacturers are coming out with thicker flat resistant tires.

10. hod65

hod65 New Member

while on the topic of tyres new focus came with 25 m continental sport have schawlbe blissard 23m on my other bike would it be worth swaping the swawlbes to the focus ,would it make a difference speedwise any in put please

11. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

10000 Miles? Im taking for granted that these miles are cumulative over a few sets of tires. Anyways that is one good flat free streak you are having.:D

12. alienator

Alas, all good streaks eventually come to a grinding halt. The last big grinding halt I had was about 4 years ago. Over two weeks, the monsoon was ├╝ber active, washing all manner of sharp, spiny, or broken crap onto the roads, and in those two weeks I had 10 flats (4 tubular, 6 clincher). No tire was immune.

My best luck with tires has been with Maxxis Re-Fuse tires, Michelin Axials (old--eventually became the Krylion line), Michelin Krylions, and Schwalbe Ultremos. The Michelins, though, have all been pants in the wet.

If I were to try another tire, it'd be the Schwalbe Ultremo DD's, which should be a hardy yet grippy and fairly supple tire......or so it would seem on the surface.

13. alienator

I'm going to assume that you mean Conti Ultra Sports.

Without having rolling resistance data for these tires, it's pretty much impossible to say. Both tires are going to have pretty high rolling resistance since they're low tpi tires ( Blizzards: 50 tpi; Contis: 84 tpi. Note that Conti says this is total tpi and that the tires are 3 ply. If that's 84 tpi total, then that's only 28 tpi per ply, a truly suckworthy number). The 23 mm tire will be a touch more aero...a touch. I suspect the difference between the two tires, in terms of performance, isn't big at all. Frankly I'd just use which ever makes you giggle.

14. hod65

hod65 New Member

wil stick with the contis they allso feel a bit better in corners ...thanks for opinion

15. The Seal

The Seal New Member

I run the Michelin Pro 3 on a set of Zipp 404's, and the Cont. Gator Hardshell on a set of Reynolds wheels to train on. The Gator Hard shell are not the best looking tire but they work great as a training tire and last a long time. No flats with them after many miles, used the 404'the last couple of weeks and 2 flats. I ride a section of road that you ride the emergency lane off a local highway. It has a bike lane but is filled with a ton of small rocks and glass.

16. Inertianinja

Inertianinja New Member

i have Mich Pro 3 Race's on one set of wheels and Conti GP4000s on the other.

The michelins look great, and are very soft, which i like.
    I haven't had a flat on the Continentals but i've had 2 flats on the Michelins. both were glass, but i ride the same roads all the time. the Michelins are all torn up and gouged.

i probably won't buy another Pro 3 Race. my next set of tires will be a Gatorskin or like puncture resistant tire.

17. GetSetGoSports

GetSetGoSports New Member

I've had pretty good luck with the Bontrager HardCase 25mm. I have tried the 28mm, and it feels fine too, almost luxurious compared to a 23. Here is a place the sells them and some reviews.

Surely not the fastest tire around, but it has been very reliable.

Just change to something else if you ever want to seriously race.

18. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

+1 On the Bontrager Hardcases.

I've been using 25mm Racelite Hardcases for 6 years and have only had 1 flat.

I too think there are better tires for racing, and tires that look nicer, but the Hardcases have been very reliable for me.

19. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

If your not racing, and only riding recreationally then I would go with the Armadillos over the Gatorskins or the 4000's. The Armadillos will way out last either of the Contis.

BUT, all 3 of those tires a tad expensive for a recreational bike at an average price of $45 each.

You can find sales on decent tires like these for $12.99 normally $25, read about them here: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI271B00-Serfas+Seca+28C+Road+Tire.aspx

Or these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17606-320_MAXRF8-3-Parts-400-Tires/Road/Maxxis-Re-Fuse-Tire-700x23c-_-25c.htm

20. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member