Recommendations for Non-Steel Road Frame With Fender Clearance?

Espressopithecus (Java Man)

Guest
My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.

I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Java

On Oct 18, 11:30 am, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
<Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.
>
> I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Java

Cyclocross frame? Redline Conquest or so? You can find frame/fork
for ~$400. Why no steel though? The Aluminum frame will beat you up
pretty good and 35years on a frame seems to be a pretty good bang for
your buck.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Oct 18, 11:30 am, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
> <Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> > My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> > something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> > 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> > winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.
> >
> > I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> > fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> > cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> > with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Java

> Cyclocross frame? Redline Conquest or so? You can find frame/fork
> for ~$400.

That may be what I'll end up doing, but the X-frames I've seen all had
cantis. Not that I have anything against cantis, but I already have a
good set of regular brakes that work fine, even in the rain.

> Why no steel though?

I kept my steel frame very clean, waxed, etc. and it looked great (it
was professionally repainted ~ 5 years ago). But last year I rode it
through the winter for the first time. Even though I dried and cleaned
it after every ride, rust is now bubbling up through the paint in a few
places. If you ride through the winter in this climate, you often come
home with salty water *everywhere*. Rust never sleeps.

> The Aluminum frame will beat you up
> pretty good

I've owned one road bike with an Al frame and my fair weather road bike
is Ti. All my bikes have the same tires and saddles. Honestly, aside
from small differences in B-B stiffness, I can't feel a difference in
the ride quality between steel, Al and Ti. Anyway, if you get off your
saddle often enough, you'll never feel beat up by any bike. ;-)

Java

On Oct 19, 5:13 am, Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Oct 18, 11:30 am, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
>
> <Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> > My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> > something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> > 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> > winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.

> > I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> > fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> > cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> > with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

> > Thanks,

> > Java

> Cyclocross frame? Redline Conquest or so? You can find frame/fork
> for ~$400. Why no steel though? The Aluminum frame will beat you up
> pretty good and 35years on a frame seems to be a pretty good bang for
> your buck.

Got the bucks for Ti? Gone will be your corrosion fears.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Oct 19, 5:13 am, Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > On Oct 18, 11:30 am, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
> >
> > <Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> > > My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> > > something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> > > 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> > > winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.

> > > I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> > > fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> > > cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> > > with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Java

> > Cyclocross frame? Redline Conquest or so? You can find frame/fork
> > for ~$400. Why no steel though? The Aluminum frame will beat you up
> > pretty good and 35years on a frame seems to be a pretty good bang for
> > your buck.

> Got the bucks for Ti? Gone will be your corrosion fears.

Can you suggest a Ti frame with fender clearance and mounting lugs,
drilled for regular side pull brakes, and with no canti bosses?

Java

In article <[email protected]>,
Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus<[email protected]> wrote:

> If you ride through the winter in this climate, you often come
>home with salty water *everywhere*. Rust never sleeps.

Salt water and Aluminum isn't exactly a maintainance free combo
either. While is doesn't rust per se, anyplace you have metal
to metal contact will build up with deposits that can actually
crack the surrounding metal. ( Google stress corrosion cracking ).

Nashbar makes an AL touring frame that might meet your
needs, if you can take the canti stud out I think you should
be able to use long reach calipers on it.

Specialized sells a whole bike ( the Sequoia ) that meets your
specs. I've seen them on season end close out for $600 a few
years ago.

_ Booker C. Bense

"Espressopithecus (Java Man) >" <Espressopithecus<[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.
>
> I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

Kinesis Racelight-T.

Except it fails on the headset. Didn't bother me - I don't see the problem.

cheers,
clive

Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus wrote:
> Can you suggest a Ti frame with fender clearance and mounting lugs,
> drilled for regular side pull brakes, and with no canti bosses?

Habanero?
http://habcycles.com/cross.html

Rear triangle will have the cantilever bosses. Maybe another one of his
frames will suit you better. Owner's a nice dude. I'm sure he wan work
with you.

\\paul

On Oct 18, 3:28 pm, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
<Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
> > On Oct 19, 5:13 am, Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Cyclocross frame? Redline Conquest or so? You can find frame/fork
> > > for ~$400. Why no steel though? The Aluminum frame will beat you up
> > > pretty good and 35years on a frame seems to be a pretty good bang for
> > > your buck.

> > Got the bucks for Ti? Gone will be your corrosion fears.

> Can you suggest a Ti frame with fender clearance and mounting lugs,
> drilled for regular side pull brakes, and with no canti bosses?

http://www.habcycles.com

Good stuff, fairly priced. Even the custom frames are pretty
affordable.

On Oct 18, 2:28 pm, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
<Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

> > On Oct 19, 5:13 am, Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Cyclocross frame? Redline Conquest or so? You can find frame/fork
> > > for ~$400. Why no steel though? The Aluminum frame will beat you up
> > > pretty good and 35years on a frame seems to be a pretty good bang for
> > > your buck.

> > Got the bucks for Ti? Gone will be your corrosion fears.

> Can you suggest a Ti frame with fender clearance and mounting lugs,
> drilled for regular side pull brakes, and with no canti bosses?
>
> Java- Hide quoted text -

I imagine Habanero makes such a thing. You may also want to consider
the Salsa Casserol.

On Oct 18, 4:37 pm, [email protected] (Booker Bense)
> Specialized sells a whole bike ( the Sequoia ) that meets your
> specs. I've seen them on season end close out for $600 a few
> years ago.

The key is "a few years ago". The last time I looked, Specialized
changed the Sequoia to have less clearance in the rear. I forget
whether they got rid of the fender eyelets on the carbon fork.

I have a Sequoia Sport (all Al frame) from a few years ago and it does
indeed have clearance for full coverage fenders front and rear (I use
Planet Bike Cascadias on that bike), comes with long reach caliper
brakes (extra long in fact, more than the 57mm you usually find in
normal/long reach calipers, but not quite BMX long).

It doesn't "beat me up" in the least.

But they did use an integrated headset, which doesn't meet the OP's
specs.

On Oct 19, 6:37 am, [email protected] (Booker Bense)
wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus<[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > If you ride through the winter in this climate, you often come
> >home with salty water *everywhere*. Rust never sleeps.

> Salt water and Aluminum isn't exactly a maintainance free combo
> either. While is doesn't rust per se, anyplace you have metal
> to metal contact will build up with deposits that can actually
> crack the surrounding metal. ( Google stress corrosion cracking ).

Could a sacrificial anode be used? Perhaps on the steel bike also?

On Oct 18, 1:30 pm, Espressopithecus (Java Man)
<Espressopithecus<[email protected]>> wrote:
> My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.
>
> I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

I used to ride through the cindered and salted ice and snow <g> .
Another problem is what happens when the bike goes back inside. Water,
water everywhere. One reason fixed gear was popular for such service,
"less stuff to ruin".

You might find a "junker" (a nice one, of course) and do what it takes
to make it through a season or two with that (rattle can paint,
whatever). Trek made some nice touring frames back when that come up
on ebay and elsewhere which might suit you very well. Room and holes
for fenders, wide tires, road brakes; non-integrated HS, usually not
too expensive as they often already need paint when put up for sale.
These and other brands sometimes appear at garage sales, thrift shops,
etc. with adequate (cheap/disposable) bad-weather running gear
installed, too. --D-y

On Oct 18, 1:58 pm, Paul Myron Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus wrote:
>
> > Can you suggest a Ti frame with fender clearance and mounting lugs,
> > drilled for regular side pull brakes, and with no canti bosses?

> Habanero?http://habcycles.com/cross.html
>
> Rear triangle will have the cantilever bosses. Maybe another one of his
> frames will suit you better. Owner's a nice dude. I'm sure he wan work
> with you.
>
> \\paul

Good call. I know a fellow Seattelite who has ridden the Habanero Ti
as her Rain bike for years and loves it. Fender clearance? - not
sure, but there are certainly ways of dealing with those challenges.

[email protected] wrote:
> Could a sacrificial anode be used? Perhaps on the steel bike also?

Some bikes _are_ sacrificed to the Salty Gods:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/mitch.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus wrote:
> My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.

LOL, after 35 years your steel frame is rusting, and you think that
aluminum will last longer? It'll either corrode from the salt or break
from metal fatigue far sooner than 35 years.

> I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

That makes it much harder.

My road bikes are only 20 years old or so, steel of course. No rust yet,
but they don't salt the roads in California, even in snow country.

Espressopithecus aka Rick the Java Man wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Why no steel though?

> I kept my steel frame very clean, waxed, etc. and it looked great (it
> was professionally repainted ~ 5 years ago). But last year I rode it
> through the winter for the first time. Even though I dried and cleaned
> it after every ride, rust is now bubbling up through the paint in a few
> places. If you ride through the winter in this climate, you often come
> home with salty water *everywhere*. Rust never sleeps.

How about a Reynolds 953 stainless steel frame?

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus <[email protected]>> wrote:
> My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.

> I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

Any cheap custom china-build titanium frame. If ýour are from north
america a Habanero must be _the_ choise. In Europe there is Setavento
who does cheap custum titanium.

Winth the cheap dollar in mind. im' currently considering getting a
Habanero for winter/cross and comuting.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Espressopithecus (Java Man) <Espressopithecus wrote:
> > My 35-year old steel rain frame is rusting and I want to replace it with
> > something impervious to rust. We get ~ 80" or rain per year, freezes ~
> > 30 - 40 days per year, and salt is used on the roads. I ride through the
> > winter except when there's snow or ice on the roads.

> LOL, after 35 years your steel frame is rusting, and you think that
> aluminum will last longer? It'll either corrode from the salt or break
> from metal fatigue far sooner than 35 years.

I doubt I have another 35 years of riding left in my knees. They're . .
.. rusting. ;-)

Anyway, my steel frame had no discernable rust, inside or out, only 5
years ago when it was stripped to the bare metal, degreased, and
repainted professionally. And no rust showed up until last year -- the
first year I used it as a rain bike.

> > I want a frame that has fender clearance and mounting lugs for SKS
> > fenders, that takes 700C wheels, and uses road brakes rather than
> > cantis. I weigh 170, don't need a custom frame, and don't want a frame
> > with an integrated headset. Any suggestions?

> That makes it much harder.

Yep, that's what I'm finding.

Java