Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Recommendations for road bike equipment?

Started by TheLostApple · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,196 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 September 2005
Last activity
4 September 2005
Original author
TheLostApple
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,196
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am about to get a road bike. I was wondering what kind of tools I should invest in. This includes for when I am on the bike and when I am at home. I want to try and do most of the minor adjustments and easier stuff. It would seem a basic travel kit would include spare tubes, patches and a tire lever (I have no idea what this does exactly) I have been lucky so far and my MTB hasn't had any flats. I have heard that road tires are a little less forgiving. Also what about things for home repair? I imagine a bike stand for working on one is a good idea? So please give me some suggestions no matter how small or insignificant you think it is. I am new to the road bike world so something pretty standard would pass by me, like a tire lever. Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Pretty much the only tools you need to perform most adjustments are a set of metric Allen wrenches. A folding set is a good thing to carry while riding, as is an air pump. A work stand is nice to have, but you don't really need it for most things. http://www.parktool.com/ has info on just about every bike tool out there and how to use it.

  3. I have this kit...

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=99&subcategory=1232&brand=&sku=3521&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    They're OK for annual maintenance. They're aren't super high quality like Park's but they've served me well so far.

  4. Easily the most useful set of tools is a set of metric Allen wrenches, but most bike shops sell either the "L" shaped or "P" handle individual wrenches or, worse yet, a set of wrenches mounted on a handle where the wrenches swing out. I find both of these pretty worthless in practical use. Far more useful is a set of "T" handle Allen wrenches with relatively long shafts such as these professionalequipment.comdefault.htm. These definitely aren't for carrying on the road, but are invaluable at home.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.