Recommendations needed re new bike...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ac, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Ac

    Ac Guest

    Hi,

    I have been riding since last year (please, no jokes about how tired my legs must be!)

    My current bike is a 13yr old Dawes Impulse - its ok, but I would like to get a new bike, to take
    advantage of improved design/technology etc

    At the moment, I ride routes varying from 8 - 25 miles, with not many gradients involved. Typical
    avg speed for an 18 mile run is 19mph

    I know its difficult to be too specific in recommendations, but can anyone provide opinions of
    different makes, and maybe models if poss

    On a VERY specific point, my local dealer is 'Michaels Cycles' of Bedford. Any experiences of them ?
    I'm going there tomorrow to see what they have to offer. Is it unreasonable to expect a test-ride,
    given I'm spending a fair chunk of cash ?

    My budget is around £800

    Cheers

    AC

    Tags:

  2. Chilly

    Chilly Guest

    AC <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    Is it unreasonable to expect a test-ride, given I'm spending a fair chunk of cash ?

    > My budget is around £800

    I think it perfectly reasonable, in fact essential. Not only will you be able to test that the bike
    suits you, you will be able to make sure it is assembled/adjusted correctly. That sort of money I
    would be no ride, no sale. There's plenty of dealers.

    Bill

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    AC wrote:

    > I know its difficult to be too specific in recommendations, but can anyone provide opinions of
    > different makes, and maybe models if poss

    First up, what exactly do you have in mind for it? I gather from 18 miles at 19 mph quite possibly
    shortish fastish thrashes, but I could be wrong... That sort of thing, especially with not much in
    the way of hills, would be ideal for a sporty recumbent, but OTOH a sporty recumbent would get you
    outlawed from most races which could well be an issue if you want to race. Also, it doesn't really
    work for co-operative riding in close packs, which may or may not be an issue for your particular
    circumstances.

    > Is it unreasonable to expect a test-ride, given I'm spending a fair chunk of cash ?

    Not at all. If you don't have considerable confidence in it don't buy it, and if a test ride is
    required for that degree of confidence, it's required.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Ac

    Ac Guest

    > First up, what exactly do you have in mind for it? I gather from 18 miles at 19 mph quite possibly
    > shortish fastish thrashes, but I could be wrong...

    Well, so far I ride upto 25 miles but would like to do further, but unlikely to be more than
    50-60 miles, maybe the odd 100ish No need for mudguards/rack etc - it would mainly be for 'fair
    weather riding'

    Main priority at the moment is to get fit and improve time/speed

    Cheers

    AC

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    AC wrote:

    > Well, so far I ride upto 25 miles but would like to do further, but unl=
    ikely
    > to be more than 50-60 miles, maybe the odd 100ish No need for mudguards/rack etc - it would mainly
    > be for 'fair weather riding'
    >=20
    > Main priority at the moment is to get fit and improve time/speed

    For that, *I* would get a sporty recumbent, but =A3800 you'll need to be =

    2nd hand and there's no getting away from it being a minority choice.=20 OTOH it should be at least
    as quick, quite possibly quicker (especially=20 into the wind) and a damn site more comfortable with
    better pilot view=20 in most cases, both of which help allow longer rides. Most 'bent riders =

    seem to experience much larger grins than their upright counterparts.

    Definite downsides: finding one will be harder, if you do choice will be =

    limited 2nd hand, if you get self-conscious it's not going to be any fun =

    at all, if you subsequently want to enter races most won't accept=20 recumbents.

    I don't know the Dawes Impulse model, but if it has a good quality frame =

    then you might look at just changing components. Technology has changed =

    gearing quite a lot, but a good frame is still a good frame AFAICT.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/