Recommendations on a quality, general use bicycle

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by NYbike, Aug 30, 2009.

1. NYbike

NYbike New Member

Hi everyone. I am planning on purchasing a bicycle and am not sure where to start. I figured I could tell you about myself and how I plan on using the bicycle and hopefully you will be able to give me some recommendations.

I am 21 year old male, in fairly good shape. I am just about 5'4". My price limit is around $500, but spending less is preferable. I live in Brooklyn, NY and plan on using the bicycle casually, so I do not want anything that is used for a very specific type of cycling. I know I do not want a hardcore mountain bike and I know I do not want something like a hampton cruiser. So basically something I can ride around Brooklyn, on the street, in the parks, and occasionally on grass. I guess it should have a few gears...

So summarizing, any bike recommendations for someone of my size and stature, in my price range, and not suited for any specific type of cycling?

Thanks, would appreciate any feedback.

Tags:

2. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Look at the Trek FX (7.1, 7.2, and 7.3), Specialized Sirrus, and Specialized Globe Vienna ranges. These bikes are reasonably priced, simple to ride and maintain, and yet are sporty enough (especially the FX and Sirrus) to keep you excited as your riding develops.

Felt, Giant, and Cannondale also make bikes of this style, but I'm less familiar with them.

3. two wheels

two wheels New Member

I would also look at Hybrid bikes. Good all around bike that will fit your needs. And well within your price range!:)